BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

3 minutes ago, Gordon Ottershaw said:

Chaddy mentions that the club did that to no avail. It's a regrettable situation but I don't think Rovers are alone in this as clubs were reluctant to commit to long term contacts during Covid. I read somewhere that Bayern were going to lose a player they wanted to keep because of this very situation (I can't remember who it was) Hopefully, we can get a fee of circa £20m and the owners let Tomasson and Broughton test their mettle with the proceeds.

I have checked all the local news outlets and there is no mention of any negotiations with Brereton and his representatives about a new deal. Every one reports on the twelve month trigger but nothing about a new deal. I'm not saying they haven't but normally the club would make mention of it especially as the extension was so newsworthy. It was only in early May when it was announced about his extension leaving me to believe it wasn't confirmed to his representatives until shortly before that.

18 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

most people doesn't think Ben Brereton was even good enough before last season including yourself. Nowhere did you suggest we should offer him a new contract here so lets not start rewriting history here JH. 

Rovers have offered a new contract last season and he hasn't accept it that why we have activate the 12 months contract extension. 

Meanwhile over on fantasy island we get the 'cannot criticise the club in any shape or form' angle.

Even if you are right does it matter or change anything? Simple fact of the matter is that we are losing valuable assets at reduced or zero fees. Millions and millions down the drain that is irrefutable fact and unacceptable for a club in any position let alone one with our FFP obsession.

End result is what matters. We can debate how we got here but you can't paint this situation as good or desirable however hard you try.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gordon Ottershaw said:

Chaddy mentions that the club did that to no avail. It's a regrettable situation but I don't think Rovers are alone in this as clubs were reluctant to commit to long term contacts during Covid. I read somewhere that Bayern were going to lose a player they wanted to keep because of this very situation (I can't remember who it was) Hopefully, we can get a fee of circa £20m and the owners let Tomasson and Broughton test their mettle with the proceeds.

The LT reported on the 13th December that new contract had been offered but not signed. here the link Mowbray quashes Ben Brereton exit talk after Brighton links | Lancashire Telegraph

@arbitrohere is the LT article on it. I also heard via a friend that Rovers offered him a new contract last season before Blackpool away game last season 

Edited by chaddyrovers
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Gordon Ottershaw said:

This forum would have lost it's mind if the club had extended BBD's contract 12 months ago.

Would it?

There may have been debate over it and his role in the team but if the Club and those running it genuinely had faith in him and his abilities (they will claim now that they always knew he'd turn out good) then they would have dealt with the contract situation.

39 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

most people doesn't think Ben Brereton was even good enough before last season including yourself. Nowhere did you suggest we should offer him a new contract here so lets not start rewriting history here JH. 

Rovers have offered a new contract last season and he hasn't accept it that why we have activate the 12 months contract extension. 

I backed him to score 20 league goals and although I didn't put much on, that's because I am a cautious gambler. The odds being offered were ridiculous and if you consider the old cliche, the bookies rarely get it wrong, there were not too may people who thought he was a good striker, until last season.

personally I do think we should sell him now, so long as big money is brought in and the bulk of it is used to bring in the quality we need this season.

7 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Would it?

There may have been debate over it and his role in the team but if the Club and those running it genuinely had faith in him and his abilities (they will claim now that they always knew he'd turn out good) then they would have dealt with the contract situation.

Obviously they misplaced the club Crystal Ball. Oh well.

Players running down their contracts to give themselves bigger signing on bonuses and allowing them to dictate their own future is becoming the norm across almost every major sport.

NFL, NBA, MLB, Premier League its the modern way and I'd expect its here to stay.

Personally I think BBD is at the peak of his value to Rovers this summer and thus I'd cash in on the asset, particularly if those funds can be channeled back into the squad and or for more youth signings (ala Markanday).

As mentioned, loss of form, injury, the complications of all the travel to and from Chile every international break and the fact hes played Copa America, a full Championship season, World Cup qualifiers and now on the eve of another season, I do feel a BBD burnout is coming.

Lets also not forget he only scored 2 goals after New Years Day.

Nobody predicted Breretons meteoric rise last season, however i am certain an overwhelming majority would have been supportive of a new contract. He had shown signs, especially post lockdown that he was finally beginning to find his feet. The fact that he also represented a significant investment from the club and is a young English striker made it a no brainer. That is without mentioning he'd just been called up for international duty. 

All these posts saying people would have been disappointed had we offered him a new contract last summer are ridiculous. It was the perfect time to do so when comparing progress/potential vs length of contract remaining. But we'd fudged ourselves into an embargo to begin with and then suddenly woke up in shock once he started banging the goals in. Unbelievable lack of foresight, even had his progression not been so dramatic. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Gordon Ottershaw said:

Obviously they misplaced the club Crystal Ball. Oh well.

Hardly.  Mowbray, Waggott and Venkys had obviously satisfied themselves of Brereton's potential by shelling out multi-millions for him when he was a teenager coming through at Forest.

We all raised our eyebrows at that outlay and commitment but the decision was made and I assume made following extensive scouting and research from our staff.

Having made that commitment and then persevered with the lad from 2018-2021 a decision should have been made by the end of summer 2021 as to where we were going with him heading into the last 12 months of his deal (forget the 12 month extension which is little more than a last gasp insurance policy).

If you are willing to spend that sort of cash on him and willing to put the hard yards in for 3 years developing him it seems bizarre that you would then sit back and let him head into the last 12 months of his deal without either moving him on or giving him an extension.

It was always a long term project signing, so when you get to the last 12 months of his deal you have a decision to make, seems we did neither and kicked the can down the road

• Like 5

2 hours ago, JHRover said:

The time for sorting Brereton out was 12 months+ ago. 

Once again Waggott and his paymasters have missed the boat. They've tried being clever and saving a few quid, and it has now put us in a very weak and risky position. 

Ineptitude doesn't quite cover it. An absolute sh1t show 3 years in the making neglecting contracts and trying to corner cut.

£10 million down the drain this summer already and more to come when we are forced to shift Brereton for a knock down fee.

Haha it wasn’t too long ago when 80% on here would have given him away for free.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, unsall said:

Haha it wasn’t too long ago when 80% on here would have given him away for free.

I remember a lot of people questioning the fee paid for him, particularly given the massive imbalance compared to lack of investment in other positions of the team.

To be fair to Mowbray and co. after 4 years the investment has been vindicated. It took a long time but we got there in the end.

I don't remember any talk about giving him away or being happy for him to leave for nothing.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Meanwhile over on fantasy island we get the 'cannot criticise the club in any shape or form' angle.

Even if you are right does it matter or change anything? Simple fact of the matter is that we are losing valuable assets at reduced or zero fees. Millions and millions down the drain that is irrefutable fact and unacceptable for a club in any position let alone one with our FFP obsession.

End result is what matters. We can debate how we got here but you can't paint this situation as good or desirable however hard you try.

I will criticise the club when it right to do and I do not blame the club for 3 players not renewing their contract. They were made good contracts and not signed them and now gone elsewhere. 

I know Ben Brereton was made a new contract offer and he has decide not to sign it. So we can either sell him or make him another contract offer. I would try to keep him here, but if he wants to leave then sell him

1 minute ago, lraC said:

I backed him to score 20 league goals and although I didn't put much on, that's because I am a cautious gambler. The odds being offered were ridiculous and if you consider the old cliche, the bookies rarely get it wrong, there were not too may people who thought he was a good striker, until last season.

personally I do think we should sell him now, so long as big money is brought in and the bulk of it is used to bring in the quality we need this season.

I've always thought the talent was there and he needed someone to unlock that. He seem a very different player when he returned after the first lockdown. Always let someone had switch him on. 

I remember him having a good game in the FA cup against Arsenal for Forest and I thought he looks a good player. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, unsall said:

Not that long ago he came off the pitch crying when all and sundry was constantly on his back giving him shit .. remember?

oh how fickle we are!

1 hour ago, Bethnal said:

Always find who a club puts in promotional materials as somewhat telling of any transfer stuff. Not nailed-on either way, but you’d imagine someone may say, “yeah, he doesn’t look likely to stay beyond the summer, best leave him out.”

Rubbish! Arma was all over out kits last pre-season even though he was having stinkers during the pre-season. Then left to have a season long stinker!

3 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

I think it was proven that never actually happened?

It's one the usual bunch on twitter/social media like to throw at our fanbase for some reason.

BBD has had incredible support from match going fans since he arrived, despite two seasons where it looked like he had never played the game before.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, ben_the_beast said:

Nonsense. Last summer that was not the mass mindset. It was that he was looking like a useful player. 

From my recollection there were a few sage posters that recognised some green shoots of what was to come from BBD. Most of us were expressing regret that we had spunked 7 mill and would not have been particularly well disposed to the club compounding the error with an extended (and likely improved) contract.