BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

1 minute ago, Butty said:

Edun had a few bad games there but so did Pickering, Edun is better on the ball. Any winger with pace will have a field day against HP. In all honesty we definitely need a new left back full stop.

I think Pickering is decent technically, he can handle the ball. Edun is more athletic but also more erratic and when he played at left back last season his positioning was appalling. For much of last season Pickering was very comfortable but he wasnt the same post injury in a struggling team. Edun I assumed would be better in midfield but that didnt really work either.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, yankfan said:

Good to see a move made. Assuming Diaz is sold we will need an striker. We never replaced Armstrong and as well as Vale has played I’m not so confident he and Gally can shoulder the load. Another mid would be nice but I’d prefer our young players, Wharton, Garret over sone old bloke like Johnson. I think Carter is a good reserve but with Ayala history we need another center back. Just hate to have Carter not playing. 

When Gallagher wakes up and realises he's actually bigger and stronger than most centre halves, he can be another Rudy Gestede. Not confident he can kick on from there, but he has enough to be a big deal in the championship. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vilesinner said:

Pretty sure Carter and Wharton will play together on Saturday..And Adam Wharton in front of Trav in midfield will be good to see also. 

I’m starting to think that sone of the young lads are better filling out the squad than the late career guys we’ve had. Experience counts but developing youth can pay dividends. Why pay the Johnsons, Smallwoods, mulgrews of the world for a front row seat? 

• Like 6

Just now, yankfan said:

I’m starting to think that sone of the young lads are better filling out the squad than the late career guys we’ve had. Experience counts but developing youth can pay dividends. Why pay the Johnsons, Smallwoods, mulgrews of the world for a front row seat? 

I'd still have Smallwood here now if I could. Brought in on a pittance and 100% commited. Obviously I'd prefer to have someone with the attributes who could play enough to affect the first team. But I always rated what he bought to the table in terms of leadership and showing what a bit of heart can do.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, yankfan said:

100 percent! We have cleared out a lot of dead wood. I think 3 good signings would be plenty; 4 if Ben goes. It's the fullback areas we are weakest. 

• Like 3

Edun is another Bell at left back i'd never pick him over Pickering there's too many short memories knocking around.

It would be nice if we could find a proper lwb from somewhere, they are out there, Giles was a good one he just wasn't used there. If we truly want to improve we don't go back to playing midfielders as full backs.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, goozburger said:

The academy costs £3m+ per year to service, so you'd like to think we'd get some decent squad-fillers out of it, and the occasional star every couple of seasons. If that happens and is used properly, then it's absolutely worth it, as well as something to be proud of as a supporter.

I always thought Mowbray did well at nurturing the young players at the club, and yet he would constantly downplay them in the media (almost insultingly by calling them "boys" and not men). Under Tomasson, it appears to be no holds barred. The young players are being asked to lay their cards out on the table and show they can hack it in the second tier. Time will tell if that's the right approach, but I can completely understand that we need more from the academy based on its upkeep.

I didn't realise Barnes was 21 already. I've never heard of him (I've watched a few Academy games, it's always been Saadi [sp] and the Gibraltar lad at CB) but that's the age you sink or swim.

I like that JDT is giving them a run with the firsts at 17/18.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, patrickvalery said:

When Gallagher wakes up and realises he's actually bigger and stronger than most centre halves, he can be another Rudy Gestede. Not confident he can kick on from there, but he has enough to be a big deal in the championship. 

Gestede excelled at something, he wasnt perfect in general but he was outstanding at attacking the ball in the air and directing it. Gallagher isnt great at anything.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

Gestede excelled at something, he wasnt perfect in general but he was outstanding at attacking the ball in the air and directing it. Gallagher isnt great at anything.

Yup. I agree. But there's nothing stopping Gallagher learning that. It's not heaven sent. He has the stature. Just not the motivation.

Looking back, we've had some very good loanees. Giles was a good player played in the wrong position, Harrison Reed was a good player played more often than not in the wrong position, and Tosin, Van der Hecke and Bellis-Harwood were all top notch. Its says much about the state of the club that we were unable to sign any of them permanently.  

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Edun is another Bell at left back i'd never pick him over Pickering there's too many short memories knocking around.

It would be nice if we could find a proper lwb from somewhere, they are out there, Giles was a good one he just wasn't used there. If we truly want to improve we don't go back to playing midfielders as full backs.

Edun will come good this season. Never got a proper run of games in his natural position - give him that and I’m certain he’ll impress

Edited by TruRover

3 minutes ago, patrickvalery said:

Yup. I agree. But there's nothing stopping Gallagher learning that. It's not heaven sent. He has the stature. Just not the motivation.

I'd say lacking in confidence. Judging by pre season so far I think JDT will get more out of him. He's strong and quick, first touch needs work but he's capable. 

I'll put this one out there, but I think he'll score over 18 goals this season. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, patrickvalery said:

Not sure its motivation based, heading with such a spring with such accuracy is a skill.

4 minutes ago, ChrisyG said:

I'd say lacking in confidence. Judging by pre season so far I think JDT will get more out of him. He's strong and quick, first touch needs work but he's capable. 

I'll put this one out there, but I think he'll score over 18 goals this season. 

That is a hell of a claim. 

Heading a ball like Gestede did was purely down to desire to win the header. Same as tackling was to Stuart Pearce, Ron Harris, Roy Keane or Norman Hunter. Yes there are degrees of competency. But that's the first base. You don't have that desire the rest is irrelevant. Gallagher is a big lad, a proper athlete and there's a good reason he gets linked to Boro and the likes. The raw materials are there. In my opinion, he's too nice.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, patrickvalery said:

Heading a ball like Gestede did was purely down to desire to win the header. Same as tackling was to Stuart Pearce, Ron Harris, Roy Keane or Norman Hunter. Yes there are degrees of competency. But that's the first base. You don't have that desire the rest is irrelevant. Gallagher is a big lad, a proper athlete and there's a good reason he gets linked to Boro and the likes. The raw materials are there. In my opinion, he's too nice.

I agree with all of that. Gallagher could be an absolute beast, he needs a bastard of a manager.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, TruRover said:

Edun will come good this season. Never got a proper run of games in his natural position - give him that and I’m certain he’ll impress

That's why it's pointless putting him at lb/lwb when he is in fact a midfielder.

1 hour ago, goozburger said:

The academy costs £3m+ per year to service, so you'd like to think we'd get some decent squad-fillers out of it, and the occasional star every couple of seasons. If that happens and is used properly, then it's absolutely worth it, as well as something to be proud of as a supporter.

I always thought Mowbray did well at nurturing the young players at the club, and yet he would constantly downplay them in the media (almost insultingly by calling them "boys" and not men). Under Tomasson, it appears to be no holds barred. The young players are being asked to lay their cards out on the table and show they can hack it in the second tier. Time will tell if that's the right approach, but I can completely understand that we need more from the academy based on its 

We really should be able to produce our own rather than pay to develop kids from a similar cat 1 academy like Leeds 

57 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Looking back, we've had some very good loanees. Giles was a good player played in the wrong position, Harrison Reed was a good player played more often than not in the wrong position, and Tosin, Van der Hecke and Bellis-Harwood were all top notch. Its says much about the state of the club that we were unable to sign any of them permanently.  

or produce our own as good or better. 

7 hours ago, matt83 said:

Ultimately another day passes and still no signings. But even so there’s the faint sound of champagne corks popping because we might be linked with a bloke who got relegated last season with Barnsley.

Genuinely don’t understand comments like this? It’s like you are purposefully looking for a reason to moan! He might end up being a good signing he might not, at the end of the day there is a risk with every signing! I do not get the point about him being relegated, most relegated clubs lose their better players back to the division they were relegated from, you can have good players in bad teams! 

personally just seeing us making some moves and spending some money is a positive because at one point I was concerned the new DOF did not know how to complete a transfer (touch wood as nothing confirmed yet)! 

• Like 8