BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

Very interesting that most Barnsley fans on twitter state that Styles is a left back and the decision to play him/market him as a CM last season was a big factor in them being relegated. 

So it looks as though we're definitely out to replace pickering on the left side, unless JDT sees potential in him centrally.

3 hours ago, Brfcrule1 said:

Brilliant 😂😂 Glen perhaps we could get Lisa to come along & improve the half-time entertainment she has after been around the world 😅😅😅😅😅

Well if we're going to sign him, this is the right time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mellor Rover said:

Very interesting that most Barnsley fans on twitter state that Styles is a left back and the decision to play him/market him as a CM last season was a big factor in them being relegated. 

So it looks as though we're definitely out to replace pickering on the left side, unless JDT sees potential in him centrally.

With the two Callums as fullbacks it would be very exciting. If Bowler comes as well the right hand side would be frightening for the opposition. We can but hope that Venkies are really going for it. 

13 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

By the looks of it he's played 96 total minutes for Fulham, so I assume your flatmate goes to a lot of Academy games?

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/jay-stansfield/profil/spieler/696346

Has had a season ticket for about 15 years - also watched a lot of there youth games. 

He does have a tendency to overate Fulham academy players though so I’m defo not convinced. Not the kind of signing I want us to be making anyway. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

if he is`nt going to sign then hawk him round the clubs,you can`t spend 7 million on a player and then let him go for nothing,it`s shocking business

Even more so when you remember he was touted as an investment.  So keep him for years, suffer through the bad times paying wages at al so when he comes good we can sell him for, well for nothing.  Mowbary and his crew really stitched us up with this non management of contracts.  Throw young Phillips in the mix too 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, LDRover said:

Pickering has to be replaced, he's just not good enough. No pace, poor one on one and gets caught out positionally. He will only be exposed further should we revert to a wing back system this season too.

Yep, before next Saturday. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LDRover said:

Pickering has to be replaced, he's just not good enough. No pace, poor one on one and gets caught out positionally. He will only be exposed further should we revert to a wing back system this season too.

He will be exposed less not more, if it's wingbacks in a back 5, which it likely would be as wingbacks in a 4 is too cavalier. That's the whole point of the 3 CBs, to compensate for the fact the wingbacks are fully expected to spend more time further up the pitch. The WBs defensive attributes become less important and we would mostly judge him on his attacking output, whereas a fullback I'll mostly judge on their defensive contributions. Both still matter for both roles, but the balance shifts.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

He will be exposed less not more, if it's wingbacks in a back 5, which it likely would be as wingbacks in a 4 is too cavalier. That's the whole point of the 3 CBs, to compensate for the fact the wingbacks are fully expected to spend more time further up the pitch. The WBs defensive attributes become less important and we would mostly judge him on his attacking output, whereas a fullback I'll mostly judge on their defensive contributions. Both still matter for both roles, but the balance shifts.

He's not athletic enough to get up and down the flank as a WB, regardless of whether it's a back 3 or back 4. 

Neither is JRC for that matter.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

IMO Pickering he was very good first half of last season before he got injured. He was a  key part of our run up to 2nd, and when he got injured at start of Jan it coincided with our collapse of form. Since he came back he's been poor.

I'm hoping his struggles are temporary as he gets back to fitness and finds a bit of pace.

I agree with the sentiment, but is it even possible to ‘find a bit of pace?’. You’re either quick or you’re not IMO.

Agreeing with others, he’s too slow to play in the wing back system.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, goozburger said:

Although the three heavily linked targets (Bowler, Szmodics, and Styles) played for their current clubs yesterday, Brittain played for Barnsley just four or five days before signing for us. Something could still be close, if not imminent. Fingers crossed this week for another good signing that can impact the first team.

We will need one of them for the QPR game.

6 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

I agree with the sentiment, but is it even possible to ‘find a bit of pace?’. 

I think coming back from injury it is. If players have had a bad one around the hamstring, Achilles etc they might only go 70%-80% to protect themselves.

Pickering was out with a Hamstring so could be that. It's weird he still seems struggling for pace since he came back in March though. One to watch.

We do need another left back, and would be very happy if styles joined, but I'm not writing Pickering off yet.

• Like 1

No wonder Bournemouth signed Rothwell clearly planning on the championship next season.

Nixon reporting they are in for Van Der Berg on a loan from Liverpool and are ain't going to spending much.

Certainties to go down unless they strengthen significantly 

12 hours ago, islander200 said:

Ain't you happy that JDT is confirming we have money to spend?

If we actually spend it I'll be happy.

Lost count of the number of times someone employed by Rovers has said there is money but then little if any gets spent.

Think it is a contractual requirement 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Lost count of the number of times someone employed by Rovers has said there is money but then little if any gets spent.

This summer has a different feel about it .

JDT isn't an old dinosaur like what has come before him.Brittain is a good start and we are obviously making bids for other players.Fry at Peterborough has confirmed we have made at least 1 other cash bid 

• Like 9

9 hours ago, USABlue said:

Even more so when you remember he was touted as an investment.  So keep him for years, suffer through the bad times paying wages at al so when he comes good we can sell him for, well for nothing.  Mowbary and his crew really stitched us up with this non management of contracts.  Throw young Phillips in the mix too 

TM’s involvement with player contracts would have been limited to a brief chat on the training ground (ie - ‘are you signing a new one then, lad?’).

Contract negotiations are handled by the likes of Waggott and numerous agents.

Plenty to beat TM up about; players contracts is not one of them.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Andy said:

TM’s involvement with player contracts would have been limited to a brief chat on the training ground (ie - ‘are you signing a new one then, lad?’).

Contract negotiations are handled by the likes of Waggott and numerous agents.

Plenty to beat TM up about; players contracts is not one of them.

The manager would have had an input over contracts here.

You telling me it was on Waggotts recommendation that all the "men" in the dressing room with little or no resale value the likes of Bennett ,Evans, Mulgrew got new deals upon promotion from league one?It would have been Mowbray who pushed for them 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

You dont know that he has a "lack of suitors." Even if we have had no firm bids, teams will know with a year on his deal, we are in a weak negotiating position that gets weeker as we move closer to the deadline. But even if we dont strike an agreement with anyone, as a free agent he will have lots of interest.

Where are the bids then for Ben Brereton? No reported about any bids from clubs in the last few days and that the fact he is playing a full part in pre season aswell. 

I did think that Ben Brereton Diaz and Rovers could agree a new long term contract especially if we get no bids for him. If you disagree fine but that my opinion like or don't

12 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I dont see Bowler happening anyway. But no concerns that Bowler is a player who plays in a position where we have 2 options already? 

That's fine if you don't it happening. 

No concerns from me. JDT might want to play Markanday or Hedges as a ten so opening a space on the right side or he might want to play him on the left. 

12 hours ago, roversinmyblood said:

I believe  Rothwell’s wife played a huge part in his decision to leave Rovers. So there may still be hope. 

I heard similar and she wanted to move back south 

12 hours ago, yankfan said:

I think Mrs Rothwell moved to coast in January 

Not sure this is correct at all

1 hour ago, goozburger said:

Although the three heavily linked targets (Bowler, Szmodics, and Styles) played for their current clubs yesterday, Brittain played for Barnsley just four or five days before signing for us. Something could still be close, if not imminent. Fingers crossed this week for another good signing that can impact the first team.

Very good point. It only take a minute for a bid to be made and accept. 

8 minutes ago, islander200 said:

No wonder Bournemouth signed Rothwell clearly planning on the championship next season.

Nixon reporting they are in for Van Der Berg on a loan from Liverpool and are ain't going to spending much.

Certainties to go down unless they strengthen significantly 

I think you are spot on there. I guess that Bournemouth don't want to over spend but be sensible financially. Didn't realised they only signed 2 players and both free transfers. 

3 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Well we signed Brittain for around 1 million pounds. You happy with that signing and cost? 

This isn't just employee from Rovers but the Head coach Jon Dahl Tomasson saying this.