BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

30 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Why does it always come back to calling people negative? It isn't helpful nor a hindrance to the team what people put on this messageboard.

What can I say, when it's the same hand wringing post every day it starts to grate.

• Like 1

I am not sure that anyone on here can "prove" that Tomasson did or didn't get turned down for Johnson, all parties will say what best reflects upon themselves, but either way the Hibernian managerial decision process doesn't validate whether Tomasson is a good manager or not anyway.

3 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Prove it?You have not one shred of evidence that JDT was overlooked for Johnson. 

A lack of evidence doesn't mean something isn't true.

Just like there is no evidence to suggest Hibs couldn't afford his wages.

Nobody bar JDT and those running Hibs know for certain.

I have no evidence that the Venky lacky is to all intents and purposes running Rovers and has been for the last 7 years, but that doesn't mean he isn't as most of us can see between the lines

19 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

Exactly. I think a few are going to be in for a shock when the games get underway. If Mowbray was still here and we were going into the season like this I.e. one signing made, people would be fuming. As it's JDT and Broughton though, it's fine.

Last season it was a case of "why is that bastard not making signings", but now it's a case of "It's difficult to make signings, JDT wants to bring quality in, we shouldn't just sign anybody, let's wait and see".

No romantic notion or theory papers over the fact that we are going into the season woefully unprepared, relying on a wishful hope that the kids might do something. We're weaker than last season and it looks like we are going to make very hard work of the first seven games.

QPR (H), Swansea (A), West Brom (H), Reading (A), Sheff Utd (A), Stoke (H), Blackpool (A). Looking at that and our current options, I can't see us beating any of them.

We dallied for 5 weeks appointing a manager (Head Coach, whatever) and he was only appointed because our DoF took the reigns.

They've had a very limited amount of time to assess the team and review potential transfer targets. Mowbray had 5 years of being the king of the castle with no oversight - it's apples and oranges.

That said, I've been drawn into this circular discussion again, so clearly they've won.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JHRover said:

A lack of evidence doesn't mean something isn't true.

Just like there is no evidence to suggest Hibs couldn't afford his wages.

Nobody bar JDT and those running Hibs know for certain.

I have no evidence that the Venky lacky is to all intents and purposes running Rovers and has been for the last 7 years, but that doesn't mean he isn't as most of us can see between the lines

I'm not the one making the statements ",not good enough for Hibs", "turned down for Johnson"

If I was making such statements I'd have a bit of evidence to prove it bar JDT'S name being loosely linked with the Hibs job when it was available 

So exactly nobody knows which was my point.

Edited by islander200
  • Like 5

54 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

I'm not sure old Greggy boy is that well connected over here, hence the lack of any movement.....was a gamble to have a rookie DOF and rookie Manager......

Nothing quite like writing people off before a balls even been kicked! And he’s not a rookie manager so that is a nonsense comment.

I am as frustrated as anyone about the lack of transfer activity but you don’t hire a new DOF and reset your football structure to be successful in one summer it’s putting things in place to be successful over a longer period. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Galgaterover10 said:

Nothing quite like writing people off before a balls even been kicked! And he’s not a rookie manager so that is a nonsense comment.

I am as frustrated as anyone about the lack of transfer activity but you don’t hire a new DOF and reset your football structure to be successful in one summer it’s putting things in place to be successful over a longer period. 

Absolutely 

1 hour ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I'm relaxed because Brittain was a great purchase and the team has looked organized in the friendlies. 

We need 3 quality additions 

Its going down every day! We wanted 6 at the start of the window and the number goes down as time drifts away!

Edited by 47er
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

Exactly. I think a few are going to be in for a shock when the games get underway. If Mowbray was still here and we were going into the season like this I.e. one signing made, people would be fuming. As it's JDT and Broughton though, it's fine.

Last season it was a case of "why is that bastard not making signings", but now it's a case of "It's difficult to make signings, JDT wants to bring quality in, we shouldn't just sign anybody, let's wait and see".

No romantic notion or theory papers over the fact that we are going into the season woefully unprepared, relying on a wishful hope that the kids might do something. We're weaker than last season and it looks like we are going to make very hard work of the first seven games.

QPR (H), Swansea (A), West Brom (H), Reading (A), Sheff Utd (A), Stoke (H), Blackpool (A). Looking at that and our current options, I can't see us beating any of them.

Boro fans must be shitting it as they don't have a striker.

I'd say you are severely underrating our squad and overrating the rest of the championship.

Like someone said Cardiff signed 12 players ,only maybe Sawyers out of that 12 would get in our starting line and I actually don't think he would get in ahead of Travis or Buckley.

The squad is capable of winning matches and signings will be made.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

If anyone seriously thinks we will get £25million for BBD then they need to give their head one hell of a wobble.

He is in the last year of his contract, is unproven at PL level and has had one good season out of 3/4 in Championship.  Is he a one hit season wonder?

I would snap the hand off any club willing to give us a straight £15million 

Feels like we will have to accept £10/12million or we will have another Lenihan/Rothwell on our hands.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mercer said:

If anyone seriously thinks we will get £25million for BBD then they need to give their head one hell of a wobble.

He is in the last year of his contract, is unproven at PL level and has had one good season ourt of 3/4 in Championship.  Is he a one hit season wonder?

I would snap the hand off any club willing to give is a straight £15million 

Feels like we will have to accept £10/12million or we will have another Lenihan/Rothwell on our hands.

I think I'd take £15m too, but only if we have someone else lined up. It's not easy to replace 22 goals, but hopefully we play a more attacking game this year and get more goals from the rest of the team. 

1 minute ago, Mercer said:

He is in the last year of his contract, is unproven at PL level and has had one good season ourt of 3/4 in Championship.  Is he a one hit season wonder?

I would snap the hand off any club willing to give is a straight £15million 

This folks is what I call ignoring history to make something sound worse than it is;

If you’re thinking of precedents - aka strikers in their last year, no prem experience and only one season for scoring 20+ goals…

Is Lenihan and Rothwell the example you’d come to?

Or perhaps a diminutive Geordie who ended up on the south coast at the end of the window for 16-20m?

• Like 2

Jesus the finger-pointing is crazy at one another. The club needs to take responsibility and remain professional. At the end of the day in any common job that you start you are judged after 3 to 6 months on where you are at and how you have developed between the structure. Yes i am aware football is a mad and wonderful world but give people and individuals a chance before having a meltdown. The reality is the club does not make publicly who we are going far so little do we know we may be far closer than any of you think, like we could be miles away who knows. We have been probably beaten to several signings as well but beaten by bigger clubs and some even with European credentials. You cannot blame everything on the club, if you miss out on a player because someone has offered more money and a better overall package, you have to accept it and live between your means. The Starting 11 for opening is strong enough to compete. We will not get 11 injured players prior to kick off so we do have a margin of error we can afford to take a risk on. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Boro fans must be shitting it as they don't have a striker.

I'd say you are severely underrating our squad and overrating the rest of the championship.

Like someone said Cardiff signed 12 players ,only maybe Sawyers out of that 12 would get in our starting line and I actually don't think he would get in ahead of Travis or Buckley.

The squad is capable of winning matches and signings will be made.

The only alternative to doing a decent chunk of your business in advance of the first game is not to pad your squad full of crap/average players.

Hopefully we will do the business on Saturday especially as we have been lucky to avoid injuries during pre-season but we are thin and our bench especially when we can use 5 subs will be particularly patchy.

34 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Why does it always come back to calling people negative? It isn't helpful nor a hindrance to the team what people put on this messageboard.

Because he would agree he’s negative, just how some are, I’m the other way, my point is we just can’t go in for players and pay them what they want, it looks like we were serious for Davies just couldn’t match wages when you’re talking around £26/30 grand a week.

We just have to bide our time and hopefully come up trumps with a couple of decent players we can afford, like Britain.

Like I’ve said FFP isn’t going away in fact it’s getting tighter and shortly we won’t be able to spend more than 70% of turnover on wages, at the moment we are way over 100%.

But there’s some on here who don’t want to know, think we won’t get punished, Derby went for it bent the rules and look what happened.

For the first time in a while we’re got a DOF/ coach who seem to be tuned in.
I will wait until the end of the transfer window before making my mind up if it’s a decent window.

End of the day it’s a balancing act, try to attract decent players but without paying silly wages, unfortunately it’s not 1994 in the glory years it’s 2022, times have changed.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, rover23 said:

Spurs also let go of Noni Madueke to PSV as a young kid as they failed to agree a long term contract. The lad has torn it up in the Dutch League and is now on the verge of joining PSG for €20 million. 

Furthermore Spurs also failed to agree a new contract with winger Marcus Edwards and let him go on a free transfer to Vitoria in Portugal. He has since joined Sporting Lisbon for €10 million age 22. 

More recently Spurs are set to lose two of their most promising U18 players, Sam Amo-Ameyaw and Jayden Meghoma to Southampton for compensation amounting to just £1m after failing to agree terms on new contracts this summer, the latter playing in the same England youth team as Ash Phillips. 

So actually, Spurs have a track record of losing talent from their academy. 

Mukiele not madueke 

• Moderation Lead
23 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

What can I say, when it's the same hand wringing post every day it starts to grate.

We need to move away from dismissing people’s legitimate concerns as them being negative, as much as we needed to move away from calling people happy clappers because they were seen as blindly praising the club no matter what.

We have lost a lot of first team appearances from last season and the new season starts in four days, that’s a fact.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, unsall said:

Like I’ve said FFP isn’t going away in fact it’s getting tighter and shortly we won’t be able to spend more than 70% of turnover on wages, at the moment we are way over 100%.

But there’s some on here who don’t want to know, think we won’t get punished, Derby went for it bent the rules and look what happened.

Stoke lost £50 million last year, are way over 100% on spending to turnover and have just signed Dwight Gayle.

Derby weren't sanctioned for spending too much. They were sanctioned for inflating the value of Pride Park to try and dodge the rules. Then their owner gave up (we can dream) and cleared off.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Not good enough for Hibs to me is a rookie manager down here.  

Hibs. A club that is such a good judge of football coaches and managers that they recently employed S***e K**n when no other British club would touch him with a barge pole.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

The only alternative to doing a decent chunk of your business in advance of the first game is not to pad your squad full of crap/average players.

Hopefully we will do the business on Saturday especially as we have been lucky to avoid injuries during pre-season but we are thin and our bench especially when we can use 5 subs will be particularly patchy.

Yeah but often to get quality without an open cheque book it's a waiting game.It isn't ideal like I said but it's the way it is. 

Look at Boro, many on here waxing lyrical because they brought in Lenihen early (look at Boro, that's how you get things done)...they just received 12 million for Spence but are still having to play a waiting game to replace their attackers from last season. 

Until the window is closed its pure guesswork what we will or won't do in this window.I prefer to criticize or praise after the event not decide I know better and criticize when I have no idea how far along we are with deals.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, 47er said:

That's an opinion , not a fact. We'll see. I hope you are right but a bit of insurance is urgently required

It's also an opinion that it isn't strong enough and that we are in trouble if we wait till closer to deadline to do the majority of our business