BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

4 minutes ago, superniko said:

Rovers are set to meet with his representatives in the coming days”

Just sitting on our hands for now are we? 

I thought that made it sound slightly concerning too at first, but I'm sure it's just a quirk of how the (fairly poor) reporter has written it. There will have been talks before, this will be about trying to finally get it over the line, and obviously we are dependent not just on when our guys are free for the talks but when Phillips' representatives are free.

• Like 2

Rovers have probably made a new offer to Phillips based on him making his league debut and now being a bona-fide first teamer. 

Maybe JDT has seen enough to give AP assurances that he is part of his first team plans now rather than 5th or 6th choice. 

I really fucking hope he signs! Venky's could probably sell him in a few years and pay off the club debt. The first £150m centre-half!!

Edited by Sweaty Gussets
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, 47er said:

OhI get it, is merely another attempt by you to justify the belief that you and others always saw a player in him despite the dire performances and that ordinary supporters who correctly identified a waste of money when they saw it haven't the foresight you have.

When Brereton was doing nothing and we had nothing much upfront, the team stagnated. £7m was a lot of money then and spent wisely we might have been up. But no, it was the never-ending journey of Mowbray we had to go on.

Now he's a terrific player he's off!

I don't understand this rant of yours. I didn't foresee that he would reach the level that he now has and have never said that I did.

The point is that the sort of contract offer that he would definitely have accepted just over a year ago could not be made because at that time his performances had not justified it - therefore the club cannot be criticised for not making such an offer.

I agreed with your original post on this. You are literally the only poster on here that has complained because I agreed with them.

13 minutes ago, CambridgeRover said:

Playing time will be key. Phillips might have thought it would be another season of under 21 football but the club have already shown that they trust him to play in the first team. 

He is only getting minutes here due to injuries and our failure to bring in any players tho.

When we do bring in a couple of Defenders and Carter Is fit the Phillips won't be seeing much first team football for us this season imo.

Even with Carter out , Sam Barnes was preferred to him.

Really don't think JDT expected to have to play him at this stage 

1 minute ago, islander200 said:

He is only getting minutes here due to injuries and our failure to bring in any players tho.

When we do bring in a couple of Defenders and Carter Is fit the Phillips won't be seeing much first team football for us this season imo.

Maybe that's changed and JDT now trusts him to be a first-teamer. All these injuries may have actually played into our hands re AP. 

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Most youth team players get into teams the same way Phil Jones only got in because he was the best of what was available. Sink or Swim, he swam and stayed in the first team...

• Like 8

1 minute ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Lancs Live breaking an exclusive.

It is worse than Football League World as a source so I'll take it with a pinch of salt.

Thought he looked fantastic in his 2 starts.

Shame to see him go, fair play setting himself up for life.

Has he gone? Is that a RoverClitheore exclusive? Reads like it. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Injuries may have provided him the opportunity but with a third start and strong performance today he might have leapt past Carter.  It’s not as if Carter has solidified his position in the first team, so the opportunity to make that spot his is there. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, J*B said:

This is superb from the club if they’ve managed that. To fight of Spurs is phenomenal. 

He wont get game time there. We could sell him in a year or two for mega bucks if we dont reach the premier league. Think JDT has played a big role here. With Mowbray he would had been gone.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JHRover said:

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/football-news/blackburn-rovers-phillips-contract-latest-21594468

This was the Lancs Live 'exclusive' on Phillips in September 2021. I'll treat this with extreme caution.

That article is exactly right. They did agree a pro deal with him. What transpired is that he didn't sign the deal on his 17th birthday like he agreed. 

• Like 1

I think there's a promise that Ash gets the vacant first team defensive number if he signs a contract. Seems like the transfer window is pushing this one along.

"if you sign a deal then you're in the first team but if you're leaving then we need to replace you with someone who wants to be here". That's how I read it. So he gets a first team spot and wages and we get his value. Everyone is happy then.

Still, it's Lancs live. Still on the fence but it seems ballsy to come out with such an article in confidence. Fingers crossed. 

• Like 3