BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

8 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

Always rated him, rooted for him, and saw the potential.

I can definitely confirm this is the case. We had quite a few back and forths about Brereton!

I’m delighted (and a few grand better off) to be wrong on this one. Falls into the cult hero bracket all day long for me for the absolute madness of the whole situation and the magnitude of the turnaround. Cult heroes are not the same as club legends.

I think he’s fare better in the Prem than Armstrong as he’s better equipped physically and less greedy. But I’d prefer him to go abroad.

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

Middlesbrough averaged 22k last season at home, we averaged 13.5k. You can't spend money you don't have Gav!

So 8,000 average higher gate than us. Average ticket price if we are being generous of £20.

8,000 x 20 = £160,000

x 23 = £3.6 million

Rough and ready figures but shows crowds don't deliver that much of an advantage, even though it is convenient for those at  Rovers to claim it does.

Before we start comparing wage bills, and I will suggest that Middlesbrough's is at least £3.6 million a year more than ours is, that money is quite insignificant when selling players for £30 million and letting £10 million of players walk away for nothing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

I can definitely confirm this is the case. We had quite a few back and forths about Brereton!

I’m delighted (and a few grand better off) to be wrong on this one. Falls into the cult hero bracket all day long for me for the absolute madness of the whole situation and the magnitude of the turnaround. Cult heroes are not the same as club legends.

I think he’s fare better in the Prem than Armstrong as he’s better equipped physically and less greedy. But I’d prefer him to go abroad.

Im not sure, in the last four or five years Prem centre halves have got even bigger and even quicker.

Its a huge step up. Spain would probably suit him better as he'd probably have a physical advantage there, which he would not have in the Prem.

I think a move to Celta Vigo would be far better for all concerned, especially seeing how Armstrong has fared in the Prem since his move.

La Liga doesn't seem to be at the level it was 5 or 10 years ago. Teams he will be up against would not be as difficult as the Prem I would imagine, plus for a mid table team like Celta (guessing that's where they are these days) the expectation would not be as great.
If he has a few good seasons there and nets in region of 15 goals you would imagine an Atletico Madrid or dare I say Barcelona would start getting interested in him. Stranger things have happened! Didn't we see Modeste join Dortmund earlier in the summer which knocked me for six!

I would nearly accept a 10/11M bid from Celta over a higher fee from Everton but put in a 30% sell on clause. If he gets a move down the road we could be looking at 15-20m based off a 30%+ sell on clause.

Edited by Irish_Rover

8 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

Middlesbrough averaged 22k last season at home, we averaged 13.5k. You can't spend money you don't have Gav!

That's about £3million net of VAT and relative chicken shit when you have owners like V's and Gibson.  @Gavis right, think respective owners light years apart in terms of ambition.

1 minute ago, JHRover said:

So 8,000 average higher gate than us. Average ticket price if we are being generous of £20.

8,000 x 20 = £160,000

x 23 = £3.6 million

Rough and ready figures but shows crowds don't deliver that much of , even though it is convenient for those at  Rovers to claim it does.

Before we start comparing bills, and I will suggest that Middlesbrough's is at least £3.6 a year more than ours is, that is quite insignificant when selling players for £30 million and letting £10 million of players walk away for nothing.

Boro taking financial risks imo. Betting it all on an overrated PASHUN merchant of a manager who once spent 25m on Rhian Brewster.

4 minutes ago, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

Caulker is all done. Happy with that signing 

Very odd/left-field signing if true, but we'll see how he goes. 

Can I ask why you're happy with it? Can't say I've followed his career since Swansea days. He was good then but that was a few years ago. 

Edited by Sweaty Gussets

1 minute ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Tells me they've been rebuffed on multiple targets if they've settled on him.

He will have been way down the list.

Disappointing signing on the face of it.

Desperation signing because none of the "targets" have come off

Shows where we at - fishing amongst the dregs

Can't understand why anyone would "happy" with it

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Jackson from Lancslive believes we are interested in Caulker.

Feels like a desperation signing.

100% a desperation signing. I was so positive as couple fo weeks ago but losing faith. 

lots of reports that Hyam is on his way to. Coventry sources saying bid has been accepted 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JHRover said:

8,000 x 20 = £160,000

x 23 = £3.6 million

Rough and ready figures but shows crowds don't deliver that much of an advantage, even though it is convenient for those at  Rovers to claim it does.

Before we start comparing wage bills, and I will suggest that Middlesbrough's is at least £3.6 million a year more than ours is, that money is quite insignificant when selling players for £30 million and letting £10 million of players walk away for nothing.

They’ve sold at least 10k more season tickets than us - not to mention the fact they were over £600 so nearly £200 more than ours. That’s only £2m but a big difference is that’s guaranteed income rather than our “potential” income (we can’t gamble on potential ticket sales for games as they can fluctuate depending on a number of variables). 

With getting more fans to games, that’s more revenue they’ll be able to bring in through things like shirt sales, other matchday income etc.

Also, playing in front of more fans means they can bring in more sponsorship than us. They’re sponsored by a betting company who will pay more than Totally Wicked do (although I actually like our stance on not accepting betting companies as a sponsor any more).

What Boro do have with paying the wages they do is a wages to turnover percentage of between 160-186% (lower end before behind closed doors, 186% with no fans).

At the end of the day, their financial losses are at the top end of the league and similar to what ours were 6/7 years ago. We are now losing a lot less per year (mid table for losses in the Championship). Gibson is always remarked as one of the best owners in the country but they can only carry on paying high wages and transfer fees for so long before something drastic happens (presuming they don’t go up).

3 minutes ago, TruRover said:

100% a desperation signing. I was so positive as couple fo weeks ago but losing faith. 

lots of reports that Hyam is on his way to. Coventry sources saying bid has been accepted 

Gotta be some exits on he cards if we are getting both.

Maybe Phillips is off to Spurs (maybe out on loan), Carter presumably sold?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, davulsukur said:

Gotta be some on he cards if we are getting both.

Maybe Phillips is off to Spurs (maybe out on loan), Carter presumably sold?

Don't see why.

Ayala, Wharton, Hyam & Carter with a backup body in Caulker is not excessive given Ayala's record.

Phillips should be kept around and used sparingly and cautiously while he gains experience.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

Caulker is an odd one, but I presume he'll be cheap and I'll reserve judgement until I've seen him play for us.

We lack bodies and experience.

Experience is the important point here. There's only Ayala with any real experience and we know what his injury record is like. Caulker is experienced and he was once a very good CB. He was also a ball-playing iirc so he will fit the playing the ball out from the back that JDT wants. 

• Like 3