BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

1 minute ago, JBiz said:

He’s 30 not 36 and he’s played nearly 100 times in the championship. When you’ve got players like Barnes, Carter and Phillips - surely someone with experience is a good thing? 

We have Ayala. 

How this fella fits our supposed M.O. I have no idea.

Oh, except he's cheap.  

Now if it allows us to make a good young permanent  signing like Van Hecke, then it's a reasonable shout.  

If it's him and the Coventry lad, that's disappointing .

If it ends up just being him, then that's shite.

4 minutes ago, rog of the rovers said:

Caulker in as experience and as a back up on the depth chart (to steal an American Sportism) is fine with me.

Ayala - Wharton

Phillips - Carter

Caulker - (Hyam/van den Berg/van Hecke)

Solid 6 to choose from

I know…Some mental comments on here. SVDB has been put on hold and clearly we can’t be hanging around as it may not happen. Van hecke, were we properly in for him???

IF & this is a big IF weve got for caulker to keep some money in our back pockets for an attacking midfielder/Winger/Stirker then I’ll be happy.

Just now, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

We have Ayala. 

Oh, except he's cheap.  

Now if it allows us to make a good young permanent  signing like Van Hecke, then it's a reasonable shout.  

How another Centreback fits into our MO?

I can’t seriously read past that utter nonsense. Did you see the teamsheet Tuesday?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

We have Ayala. 

Oh, except he's cheap.  

How is it disappointing to get a proven championship permanent signing & a experience CB? 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, smiller14 said:

Reminded me initially of the Rodwell deal - he incidentally did well for Rovers. Taking a closer look, he's actually played a lot of football lately so isn't the washed up player many seem to be suggesting!

Rodwell did well for Rovers?

• Like 1

Steven Caulker (ENG) is a a ball playing defender and currently plays for Fenerbahce. Steven Caulker is 30 years old (1991/12/29) and he is 191cm tall. His preferred foot is Right. His jersey number is 45.

Steven Caulker's current transfer value is between €0.9M and €2M. His last transfer was from Fenerbahce to Gaziantep in 2021. Gaziantep loaned Steven Caulker for free from Fenerbahce.

Steven Caulker latest transfers and transfer rumours, season statistics and career statistics are available on FootballTransfers

15 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

He's just played 100 games in the Turkish top division over the last 3 years. 

He can't be that bad. Any comparison with WB is just a bit lazy. 

He’s playing for a mid table Turkish side. They’re rubbish. They’ve not got a single other player we would take.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, CoconutGrove said:

They’ve sold at least 10k more season tickets than us - not to mention the fact they were over £600 so nearly £200 more than ours. That’s only £2m but a big difference is that’s guaranteed income rather than our “potential” income (we can’t gamble on potential ticket sales for games as they can fluctuate depending on a number of variables). 

With getting more fans to games, that’s more revenue they’ll be able to bring in through things like shirt sales, other matchday income etc.

Also, playing in front of more fans means they can bring in more sponsorship than us. They’re sponsored by a betting company who will pay more than Totally Wicked do (although I actually like our stance on not accepting betting companies as a sponsor any more).

What Boro do have with paying the wages they do is a wages to turnover percentage of between 160-186% (lower end before behind closed doors, 186% with no fans).

At the end of the day, their financial losses are at the top end of the league and similar to what ours were 6/7 years ago. We are now losing a lot less per year (mid table for losses in the Championship). Gibson is always remarked as one of the best owners in the country but they can only carry on paying high wages and transfer fees for so long before something drastic happens (presuming they don’t go up).

According to Middlesbrough's last set of accounts the wage to turnover ratio was 78% so they do have a lot of flexibility to increase.

Just now, Waggy76 said:

Why would Neil want to go to Stoke ????

That one baffles me ...

Think he has perhaps wanted out for a while. He is only on a one-year rolling contract at Sunderland. Was offered a new long term one last season but he rejected saying he was happy on the rolling contract.

2 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Have you watched them much? Know a lot about their other players?

As it happens I’ve watched a little bit, I spent 18 months editing highlights of the Turkish league for DAZN. Trust me; they’re shite. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

How is it disappointing to get a proven championship permanent signing & a experience CB? 

He hasn't been in England for 5 years. During that time he's floated around a rather poor Turkish league. 

He's a body through the door, in a position we are short in.  He may turn out to be ok, he may be useless. Let's not kid ourselves that we've played a blinder to get him though.

It only makes sense if the money goes somewhere else in the team. 

Edited by Wing Wizard Windy Miller

5 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

I can’t help but think there’d be a lot more dissenting voices around Caulker if it was the first week in June. Expectations falling all round as we approach the end of the window.

I truly hope to eat my words but our transfer business to date this summer (or our rumoured targets), IMO is not signal of a side that is itching to compete towards the top end of the table.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 1