BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

12 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

i was`nt to impressed tbh,quick yes,aware no,always made the wrong decision as well,to many times for me to ever consider him a potential good player

Of a team where not many goals came from anywhere else than Brereton, he got more goals than Rothwell. He was a match winner for us on a few occasions. Frustrating? Yes but for someone who's only just turned 21 you should not expect the final product, it's down to a club like us to develop that and benefit from it. We can't afford a player like him who's the finished article. 

Not only are we going to have to replace Khadra's 5 goals 4 assists, we have to replace Rothwell's and Brereton's. I feel he could have comfortably improved on last season's tally having had a season with us under his belt. 

Alas, someone else will benefit from our scouting, experience and cash. 

Edited by Neal
  • Like 5

Just now, Neal said:

Of a team where not many goals came from anywhere else that Brereton, he got more goals than Rothwell. He was a match winner for us on a few occasions. Frustrating? Yes but for someone who's only just turned 21 you should not expect the final product, it's down to a club like us to develop that and benefit from it. We can't afford a player like him who's the finished article. 

he just gave me the impression that he`s the kind of player who would`nt improve no matter how much you coached him,i don`t think it`s a problem with his ability,it`s his footballing brain,clear to me it`s non existant

5 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Before the deadline? Yes, I'd be very surprised.

Would I be surprised if we only brought in say 3, rather than the 6 we need? Not particularly.

I'm not sure these teams like tonights and the second one on Saturday are all about JDT assessing.  To me it looks more like they are desperate to get proper matchday mins into as many as possible as they will be this seasons back up players.

I really think they are going all out on a massive money saving gamble this season.

55 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

At 23 still a fairly young striker...but the season before last, he played in the Championship for Rotherham. 31 games...with no goals! Hope he was being played out of position or something if we're interested, because that's a terrible return for a striker. In fact it's no return.

Did better last season with Portsmouth, 13 in 40, but in League One. Has had good goal returns for England youth teams up to U20s. On paper it's a no thanks from me.

No idea if the source has any credibility.

If I understand TransferMarkts stats correctly, those 30-odd appearances for Rotherham accumulated to 675 minutes on the pitch. Averages out at 20mins a game for a team that weren't free scoring anyway. 

For Pompey he scored 1 goal every 186 mins on the pitch, averaging 60mins per game across his 40 appearances. 

Pompey are also desperate to get him back: https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/portsmouth-fc/update-latest-on-chances-of-return-for-george-hirst-and-what-leicester-citys-ex-sheffield-wednesday-and-rotherham-united-man-told-portsmouth-boss-3737014

Edited by Jimmy612

1 minute ago, tomphil said:

I'm not sure these teams like tonights and the second one on Saturday are all about JDT assessing.  To me it looks more like they are desperate to get proper matchday mins into as many as possible as they will be this seasons back up players.

I really think they are going all out on a massive money saving gamble this season.

it could well be that,i don`t think we`ll go down,there are at least 5/6 sides worse off than us,won`t be much fun watching us survive in the lower half of the table,if your theory is right then the club have ****** all the season ticket holders,talk of substancial  budgets and a new start,ffs i want my money back

5 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Then JDT wouldn't be here.

Did you watch the video after the game on Saturday?He said he was well aware what we have lost from the side last season and signings are being worked on.

Surely if it was the case that he was working with the players we have this season he would have been talking up the squad and downplaying the need for new players.

Also if the plan is no money and further money saving then why appoint JDT and Broughton in the first place?

It would have been another has been just happy to get a job no matter the conditions they had to work under 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

At 23 still a fairly young striker...but the season before last, he played in the Championship for Rotherham. 31 games...with no goals! Hope he was being played out of position or something if we're interested, because that's a terrible return for a striker. In fact it's no return.

Did better last season with Portsmouth, 13 in 40, but in League One. Has had good goal returns for England youth teams up to U20s. On paper it's a no thanks from me.

No idea if the source has any credibility.

Is he better than Vale. If the answer is no, go nowhere near him.

1 minute ago, islander200 said:

Did you watch the video after the game on Saturday?He said he was well aware what we have lost from the side last season and signings are being worked on.

Surely if it was the case that he was working with the players we have this season he would have been talking up the squad and downplaying the need for new players.

Also if the plan is no money and further money saving then why appoint JDT and Broughton in the first place?

It would have been another has been just happy to get a job no matter the conditions they had to work under 

he might walk if the budget is`nt as promised,it`s his reputation and like you say,he`s not here to top up his pension

Im sure we will sign players obviously but im not convinced that Tomasson being appointed is proof that we must have a decent budget. Had we appointed a proven manager like Farke at the start of the summer then maybe that point would stand but Tomasson was appointed after a long process in which numerous candidates got bigger and better jobs elsewhere. I know he apparently turned them down due to salary demands but the fact that he even spoke to Hibs suggests that he isnt this massive coup as a manager. He was unemployed and did well at a Malmo side that seemingly was expected to win the league but in a small league so it is more of a potentially tactical appointment for both parties.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

he might walk if the budget is`nt as promised,it`s his reputation and like you say,he`s not here to top up his pension

Has JDT got a release clause in his contract, similar to Lambert ? 

12 minutes ago, Jimmy612 said:

If I understand TransferMarkts stats correctly, those 30-odd appearances for Rotherham accumulated to 675 minutes on the pitch. Averages out at 20mins a game for a team that weren't free scoring anyway. 

For Pompey he scored 1 goal every 186 mins on the pitch, averaging 60mins per game across his 40 appearances. 

Pompey are also desperate to get him back: https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/portsmouth-fc/update-latest-on-chances-of-return-for-george-hirst-and-what-leicester-citys-ex-sheffield-wednesday-and-rotherham-united-man-told-portsmouth-boss-3737014

Fair enough, that shines a different light. I only glanced, I didn't deep dive. I assumed if he had played that many games he would have had a bunch of starts. That comes to about 6.5 games, and in and out of the team it's hard to find rhythm. A goal every 2 games is solid too, but of course a league under us and a smallish sample.

Pompey may be desperate to get him back...but they're also desperate to get Carter back, who is currently our 3rd choice CB after 2 who were above him in the pecking order have left. He'll likely be 4th or 5th choice for us this season.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rigger said:

Has JDT got a release clause in his contract, similar to Lambert ? 

Would hope not. Would hope he has a lot more integrity than Lambert who imo never had any intention whatsoever of staying here long term but merely used us as a stepping stone to get back into work.

15 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Im sure we will sign players obviously but im not convinced that Tomasson being appointed is proof that we must have a decent budget. Had we appointed a proven manager like Farke at the start of the summer then maybe that point would stand but Tomasson was appointed after a long process in which numerous candidates got bigger and better jobs elsewhere. I know he apparently turned them down due to salary demands but the fact that he even spoke to Hibs suggests that he isnt this massive coup as a manager. He was unemployed and did well at a Malmo side that seemingly was expected to win the league but in a small league so it is more of a potentially tactical appointment for both parties.

He had a contract on the table from Zurich.

I'm not suggesting he has a massive budget but he is a youngish guy at the beginning of his managerial career.

Why come to a club who have lost 5 of their better players, 6 when Brererton leaves with only penny's to replace them?

We finished 8th last season and unless Tomosson is daft he knows we won't be going anywhere near that position without replacements of at least similar quality. 

And if no money to spend pointless appointing someone like him.Nigel Adkins was available 

We also don't know if any of those other candidates that interviewed were actually offered the job 

Edited by islander200

20 minutes ago, islander200 said:

He'll have known the project when he took it on why is being billed 'project' if it isn't going to be a fresh reset.

Whatever he was told he'll have to go with what he has for all we know he's been given a list of young players but might not think they are any better than what is here.

People seem under the impression he's here because hes been sold a dream and promised a budget. I'd suggest that's not the case at all we only have to look at how this appointment happened.  He wasn't doing anything and fancied a job in England, we needed a guy who had no big demands or large wage and happy to work with young players.

I'm not sure this set up will cost much more than the last one as will JDT and GB be on more wages than Mowbray and Venus ?  Very unlikely plus we've lost 20k pwk off the wage bill with departing players and if they aren't replaced by similar that frees up a bit.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, tomphil said:

He'll have known the project when he took it on why is being billed 'project' if it isn't going to be a fresh reset.

Whatever he was told he'll have to go with what he has for all we know he's been given a list of young players but might not think they are any better than what it here.

People seem under the impression he's here because hes been sold a dream and promised a budget. I'd suggest that's not the case at all we only have to look at how this appointment happened.  He wasn't doing anything and fancied a job in England, we needed a guy who had no big demands or large wage and happy to work with young players.

I'm not sure this set up will cost much more than the last one as will JDT and GB be on more wages than Mowbray and Venus ?  Very unlikely plus we've lost 20k pwk off the wage bill with departing players and if they aren't replaced by similar that frees up a bit.

Well going off the press we were in for Anel and are now talking to Liverpool about Davies.

Must be something in the pot to be even going near that sort of player.

Il worry there is no money if our first signing Is from league one for a few hundred grand 

He had other offers.A contract on the table from 1 club 

Edited by islander200

12 minutes ago, islander200 said:

He had a contract on the table from Zurich.

I'm not suggesting he has a massive budget but he is a youngish guy at the beginning of his managerial career.

Why come to a club who have lost 5 of their better players, 6 when Brererton leaves with only penny's to replace them?

We finished 8th last season and unless Tomosson is daft he knows we won't be going anywhere near that position without replacements of at least similar quality. 

And if no money to spend pointless appointing someone like him.Nigel Adkins was available 

We also don't know if any of those other candidates that interviewed were actually offered the job 

He is a youngish guy at the beginning of his career correct, which surely gives him less room for demanding x amount of money when offered a Championship role, which may or may not pay more and more importantly will allow him a platform to make a name for himself more than going to another minor footballing country to manage.

I am not saying that we will or won't spend however much, just that I don't think that Tomasson is an appointment that it anyway proves that we must have money to spend, as if he is a huge name that we have amazed people in appointing.

8 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Well going off the press we were in for Anel and are now talking to Liverpool about Davies.

Il worry there is no money if our first signing Is from league one for a few hundred grand 

Even if we assume that there was interest, we don't know if we actually bid for Anel and if so, for how much. The Davies rumours are for a loan deal.

19 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

i think it would be irrelevent,if you are getting rogered by swag and venkys,you`de walk out anyway,clause or not

Most likely, without a clause, he would owe the club the remaining value of his contract if he walked out.

8 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

He is a youngish guy at the beginning of his career correct, which surely gives him less room for demanding x amount of money when offered a Championship role, which may or may not pay more and more importantly will allow him a platform to make a name for himself more than going to another minor footballing country to manage.

I am not saying that we will or won't spend however much, just that I don't think that Tomasson is an appointment that it anyway proves that we must have money to spend, as if he is a huge name that we have amazed people in appointing.

Even if we assume that there was interest, we don't know if we actually bid for Anel and if so, for how much. The Davies rumours are for a loan deal.

A championship club whose highest position in God knows how long is 8th in the second tier of English football. 

You misunderstood me , I'm not saying Tomosson is a huge name but I certainly don't think he is Stupid.

The Swiss league may not be a powerhouse but I'm sure he would get enough exposure managing in the champions league.

I also think he is clever enough to have done his homework and would have known what we have lost from last season so no I don't think he would have turned that down for a probable relegation battle and not go near what we did for a part of last season and finish as high as we did.

I'd be fairly certain he would have wanted a bit of money to bring some players in before he would agree to come here.Now wether the club go back on that or can't get the deals over the line is another matter. 

The press links with Anel and Davies suggest there is some money in the pot (could be bull I know) but I'm convinced he will have been told there is more than inexperienced and cheaper loans, free transfers or £500k lower league players 

29 minutes ago, islander200 said:

With the talk on here I was under the impression we didn't even have a few hundred grand.

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

We have some good young players in the under 21/academy players so I see JDT wanted to get to know them, watch them play and then used some of them in the first team squad like Ash Phillips, Jack Vale and Jake Garrett. Those 3 I think are ready for first team. 

25 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

The Daily Mail is saying it could be permanent move for Ben Davies. 

Also I think Ben Brereton Diaz will be gone shortly and probably to Leeds for around 20 million, so hopefully we get some of that to spend and then the rest towards the debt cover

Edited by chaddyrovers

3 hours ago, Jimmy612 said:

It appears you're tending not to worry about things that HAVE happened as well... like 5 of our regular starters from last season leaving the club.  Loans not being relevant as you tried to suggest before is a nonsense, as is telling us Rothwell and Nyambe would have been bit-part... that's just a baseless comment. 

I appreciate people are trying to remain positive and patient, but I think it's important we stick to the facts as well.   

Exactly right. We're four key players down from the first eleven from last season plus Khedra who had a decent impact at times, plus BBD if he goes. In addition, I think it was the general consensus by Christmas the squad was down to the bare bones and needed supplementing.

Imo we need four absolutely first class signings to replace the three that have left and JPVH, then ideally three or four decent acquisitions on loan to give the squad a bit of depth.

Whilst in no way not wanting JDT to do well, the fact no-one whatsoever has come in so far has to be worrying surely.

Anyone who says they aren't worried imo is lying or doesn't really care or at least is maybe one of this seeming relatively new breed of supporter who seemingly isn't that bothered whether we win lose or draw as long as they can demonstrate their their superfan status by being a better supporter than the next man and "getting behind the lads" (FFS)

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Exactly right. We're four key players down from the first eleven from last season plus Khedra who had a decent impact at times, plus BBD if he goes. In addition, I think it was the general consensus by Christmas the squad was down to the bare bones and needed supplementing.

Imo we need four absolutely first class signings to replace the three that have left and JPVH, then ideally three or four decent acquisitions on loan to give the squad a bit of depth.

Whilst in no way not wanting JDT to do well, the fact no-one whatsoever has come in so far has to be worrying surely.

Anyone who says they aren't worried imo is lying or doesn't really care or at least is maybe one of this seeming relatively new breed of supporter who seemingly isn't that bothered whether we win lose or draw as long as they can demonstrate their their superfan status by being a better supporter than the next man and "getting behind the lads" (FFS)

100%

6 minutes ago, islander200 said:

A championship club whose highest position in God knows how long is 8th in the second tier of English football. 

You misunderstood me , I'm not saying Tomosson is a huge name but I certainly don't think he is Stupid.

The Swiss league may not be a powerhouse but I'm sure he would get enough exposure managing in the champions league.

I also think he is clever enough to have done his homework and would have known what we have lost from last season so no I don't think he would have turned that down for a probable relegation battle and not go near what we did for a part of last season and finish as high as we did.

I'd be fairly certain he would have wanted a bit of money to bring some players in before he would agree to come here.Now wether the club go back on that or can't get the deals over the line is another matter. 

The press links with Anel and Davies suggest there is some money in the pot (could be bull I know) but I'm convinced he will have been told there is more than inexperienced and cheaper loans, free transfers or £500k lower league players 

I think you misunderstand: 

As far as roversfan99 is concerned he isn't Tony Mowbray.