BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

9 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

With Nyambe still not finalised anywhere Broughton should be on the blower to his agent, apologising for Waggott and asking how much he wants again. Right back is the huge problem for us as things stand.

Absolutely, the fact he still hasn't got a club says to me he's still holding out for us to offer acceptable money.

Tbh I know insta isn't the be all and end all.

But he's liking all things Rovers still.

Edited by RoversClitheroe

1 hour ago, Miller11 said:

Serious question, is Davies really all that?

I can’t say I’ve seen that much of him. Looking at the stats he managed 20 odd games for Sheff Utd last season. Is the fact Liverpool signed him to make up the numbers in training inflating everyone’s opinion of him?

I don’t think there’s be so much clamour to pay a sizeable fee and make him our highest paid player and captain if he was coming from PNE.

He's probably no better than Lenihen which again shows how these balls ups and penny pinching end up costing more in the long run.

Waggot/Suhail...OUT.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Quite right, but the evidence of the last few years is that we are in a phase where they don't spend. They also don't spend on defenders bar a few hundred grand here and there. The big buys have all been at the top end of the pitch and never at the back.

So whilst I don't know for sure there is no or minimal money to be spent the mirror of that is nobody else knows if there is good money to be spent.

All we have to go off is actions, words cost nothing, and actions so far suggest I'm right. Happy to be proven wrong, I need to be for our sakes.

The main reason giving me optimism is the fact JDT has openly said he knows the quality and experience we have lost from last season.I just really don't think he would have agreed to join if it was penny's he had to replace them.

Until we get a couple in its speculation either way but IF Davies is the first to come in even on a loan deal then I think we will have a healthy enough kitty, as I don't believe Liverpool would subsidise too much of his wage(unless he is actually on £60k) as other championship clubs will pay the wages toward the end of the window.I also don't think Broughton or JDT would blow the majority of their budget on loaning in a centre back.

Fingers crossed there is a healthy budget as we need it if we don't want to be stuck with 5 or 6 others toward the bottom of table

31 minutes ago, Neal said:

Precisely. Why haven't Sheff United tried to resign him if he's supposed to be so good?

Well they got Lenihan for nowt and knew that they could for ages. No incentive to waste money on Davies who hadn't exactly excelled in his loan at SU.

11 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

With Nyambe still not finalised anywhere Broughton should be on the blower to his agent, apologising for Waggott and asking how much he wants again. Right back is the huge problem for us as things stand.

If it's 3-4-3, we need creativity, crossing, passing range. Those things aren't Ryan Nyambe. I would however have him in at RCB in the 3, every single day of the week! His best position.

7 minutes ago, tomphil said:

He's probably no better than Lenihen which again shows how these balls ups and penny pinching end up costing more in the long run.

Waggot/Suhail...OUT.

He is better than Lenihen.Well was when he was regular at this level.

Could have gone backward since joining the pool. 

If Davies was Irish he would probably have 50 Caps now not the 1 or 2 Lenihen has

19 minutes ago, JoeH said:

If it's 3-4-3, we need creativity, crossing, passing range. Those things aren't Ryan Nyambe. I would however have him in at RCB in the 3, every single day of the week! His best position.

If we don’t upgrade significantly on Brown and JRC we will get absolutely ripped apart down that side every single game.

I’m still hopeful we move away from that formation, though the friendlies so far would suggest not. I think we will be exposed in the league without strong addictions, and if Brereton goes I worry about our goal threat. It would be interesting to see how Gallagher would adapt to being a focal point of it though, if it wasn’t for the urgency of results.

Edited by Miller11
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Miller11 said:

Serious question, is Davies really all that?

I can’t say I’ve seen that much of him. Looking at the stats he managed 20 odd games for Sheff Utd last season. Is the fact Liverpool signed him to make up the numbers in training inflating everyone’s opinion of him?

I don’t think there’s be so much clamour to pay a sizeable fee and make him our highest paid player and captain if he was coming from PNE.

Ask a Preston fan what they thought of him and they'll tell you he's the best defender that ever walked the planet - 136 appearances

As a Liverpool fan and they'll say "who?" - 0 appearances

As a Sheff Utd fan and they'll give mixed reviews.  The negative ones will suggest a lack of confidence at times - 23 loan appearances (he's the one who scored the late winner against us BTW)

I know PNE fans can be tits but their opinion can probably be relied upon the most I would say.

44 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

I know it's been friendlies, but what worries me is the way we are playing doesn't appear to be this high pressing football JDT talked about.

Surely to gain match fitness you actually press in short spurts of effort for that interval fitness, but I'm yet to see the sign of it.

Perhaps JDT doesn't want to give QPR any clues, for the first real game.

29 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

If we don’t upgrade significantly on Brown and JRC we will get absolutely ripped apart down that side every single game.

I’m still hopeful we move away from that formation, though the friendlies so far would suggest not. I think we will be exposed in the league without strong addictions, and if Brereton goes I worry about our goal threat. It would be interesting to see how Gallagher would adapt to being a focal point of it though, if it wasn’t for the urgency of results.

Those strong addictions could get them arrested.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, StaffordRover said:

Serious question. Does anyone think it is possible that JDT genuinely (or has had his hand forced to some extent) thinks some of the kids are ready for first team action, so is looking to now consolidate what kitty he has on 2-3 'marquee' signings and the wages required to secure them, so doesn't actually need the 6 or so being suggested on the MB? Could explain why so few names are being linked? He's aiming for the higher rollers and is biding his time/trying to negotiate with those in control of the kitty so they are prepared to sanction higher transfer fees and in turn, review the current wage cap? If he feels we did genuinely miss out on the lad that's gone to Sheffield United because they can offer more wages (assuming the fee was achievable), then this could offer an alternative and potentially more realistic approach to securing a few 'better than we've had' signings. Am just grasping at any hypotehtical scenario that helps me feel a bit better about the current situation.

I think you could be on to something there. I think he's looking to pack the squad with Carter, Phillips, Wharton, Garret and Vale. And then get 2 or 3 more quality players in as a priority. We'll enjoy a season in the bottom half of the table but I reckon we'd have enough to stay safe then hopefully come January or the summer we'll have sorted out our list of players we want. 

13 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

No problem. I hope I am right 

He explained about the club being slightly behind on transfers but the club is focus on bringing in players he wants whilst he focus on training and games. 

You argued against my suggestion that we are "playing catch up" in the market profusely the other week! Now Tomasson has said it, you agree...

4 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Some account with 1k followers reckons we've bid for George Hirst, and Davies - that's about it

The same account has Armstrong down as going to QPR. I would file that under another saddo in his bedroom wanting to be ITK.

30 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Agree on the point about him as a wing back although I wouldn't play wing backs anyway. But I have seen a few people say that right centre back is Nyambe's position but it is certainly a potential theory in the absence of any evidence aside from one or two games.

I still think his best position is right full back, a very good one on one defender which is more important than attacking in a back 4. He isn't very good in the air and he might be expected to bring the ball out so not sure that right centre back would suit him.

21 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

I suspect that there is more than enough evidence of what Gallagher would be like as that focal point unfortunately!

Can't hold it up well, can't link play, struggles to direct flick ons and knock downs, lacks a strikers instinct, poor first touch. I think there may be disappointment when Gallagher does inevitably play centrally and doesn't thrive to the extent that many predict.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, rigger said:

Perhaps JDT doesn't want to give QPR any clues, for the first real game.

He probably shouldn't repeatedly talk in the press about what our approach will be then. Unless that's a misdirection...I mean QPR will be surprised when we show up with the same pedestrian approach as under Mowbray eh?

3 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Well the rumours are that Arma will be leaving Southampton on loan tbf though 

Well we should get him back here then, as he is proven at this level, even if he is a selfish git with the ball in front of goal. All it would take is for Southampton to accept they had their pants pulled down and to swallow the reality, and perhaps for Arna to be seen kissing the Arte et Labore badge, and boom - a ready made goal poaching replacement for BBD, oven ready for JDT style of play.

Erm, no.