BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

12 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

No thank you.

A left footed winger is definitely not a priority with Markanday and Hedges already here.

Poveda had a mixed time, outstanding v Sheff United, a few other flashes and a few cameos in which he was anonymous. Not the woeful player you make out but not one we should bring back.

11 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

It will be the same down the left hand side too with Pickering, IMO. He's slow, was targeted a number of times last season and left acres of space for the opposition to attack, while struggling to get back. Not good enough.

Brown/JRC on the right, Pickering on the left is a frightening thought. Then I look at a potential Carter-Wharton pairing in the middle and shudder at the prospect. Wharton was very good at times last season, particularly during that run, but I'm wondering how good he will be without Van Hecke and Lenihan alongside him. I have zero confidence in a Carter-Wharton pairing, but that's just me.

I purposely haven't mentioned Ayala as he can't be relied upon. If fit, however, he should be starting every game. We could really do with Davies and another coming in back there.

The entire backline needs rebuilding, for me, but there's not much chance of that happening.

I'm looking at the rest of the squad and I'm quite concerned. Powderpuff, little quality and we are currently relying on this romantic idea that the youngsters are going to step in and rescue the situation. Got a bad feeling reality is going to bite big time shortly into the QPR game.

We need serious additions, but it looks the like the club is pissing about, and JDT is getting frustrated. Without those additions, I genuinely can't see us winning a game in August.

Pickering wouldn't be comparable to having Rankin Costello on the other side to be fair, and he is also a big step up from Edun and also is much better than Bell. His form prior to injury was very good, he never replicated it afterwards though. 

Agree with your general analysis in the main though. Some people don't seem to see it as an issue as long as its before the deadline, but you can't dismiss the importance of 21 potential points.

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

A left footed winger is definitely not a priority with Markanday and Hedges already here.

Poveda had a mixed time, outstanding v Sheff United, a few other flashes and a few cameos in which he was anonymous. Not the woeful player you make out but not one we should bring back.

Pickering wouldn't be comparable to having Rankin Costello on the other side to be fair, and he is also a big step up from Edun and also is much better than Bell. His form prior to injury was very good, he never replicated it afterwards though. 

Agree with your general analysis in the main though. Some people don't seem to see it as an issue as long as its before the deadline, but you can't dismiss the importance of 21 potential points.

Can’t agree on Pickering. He’s got a nice left foot and can do a bit going forward, but I think he is way off it defensively at this level. He needs to drastically improve that side of his game this year. I’ll never buy into the idea that a full back, or wing backs primary job is anything other than defending.

Huddersfield away last year really stands out. Magloire got all the criticism, but Pickering’s performance was as inept as I can ever remember seeing from a fullback.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Broughtons career has been academy based.

He will have little knowledge and no black book of the Championship.

He's been brought in to facilitate in-house academy up into first team squad.

If he pulls off a decent signing from an external source it's a bonus.

Getting lists of frees and loans is not rocket science, just a pc and Google will do.

Be worried.

Spot on.

I expect a big part of his job will be overseeing the sourcing of players for U23 and Academy level.  To then fill the gaps created by those they move into the first team squad or let go. That's how it's being set up to work here now, in house first outsourcing second.

That's why for this season in terms of loans they might have been better going off the Mowbray/Park list, assuming one did actually exist.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Can’t agree on Pickering. He’s got a nice left foot and can do a bit going forward, but I think he is way off it defensively at this level. He needs to drastically improve that side of his game this year. I’ll never buy into the idea that a full back, or wing backs primary job is anything other than defending.

Huddersfield away last year really stands out. Magloire got all the criticism, but Pickering’s performance was as inept as I can ever remember seeing from a fullback.

I actually have been a little underwhelmed by him going forward, he technically is a good player so the ball stays tight to his feet (the polar opposite of Bell who was so loose with the ball) but his set pieces are no better than ok and he is not a constant attacking threat.

Defensively I think his general awareness and reading of the game is pretty good, which reduces the impact that his obvious lack of pace has. Edun is a bit faster but he looks all over the place positionally.

7 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Spot on.

I expect a big part of his job will be overseeing the sourcing of players for U23 and Academy level.  To then fill the gaps created by those they move into the first team squad or let go. That's how it's being set up to work here now, in house first outsourcing second.

That's why for this season in terms of loans they might have been better going off the Mowbray/Park list, assuming one did actually exist.

The Mowbray loan list being "hi Mr Woodfine, who would you like to loan is this year?" (There's no way Klopp would field his call).

12 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Magloire against Blackpool away is the most inept performance I've ever seen from a fullback, as far as I can remember.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Suppose he is a proven quality defender at this level and no longer is running close to the end of a contract.

His contract was running down when he moved there? Ok so with 6 months on your deal you normally sell for about half your market value, so we can treat it like at the time he was worth about 1 million, rising to 3 million with add ons (which will never be triggered). That's ignoring that a top club would usually be paying a premium for the fact they're known to be rich. He was a proven quality defender at this level at that time, but since then he's played 23 games in 18 months. Just over a game a month. We'll take off pre-season and call it about 1.5 games a month. Really, his value should have dipped a bit, not increased.

Hopefully, Liverpool get a bit more realistic than is being reported. A 4 million fee is excessive to begin with, and then you're expecting the buying club to deal with very high wage demands too. Maybe the 4 million quoted is inclusive of paying off the excess wage on his contract so he can be signed on more reasonable terms.

4 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

His contract was running down when he moved there? Ok so with 6 months on your deal you normally sell for about half your market value, so we can treat it like at the time he was worth about 1 million, rising to 3 million with add ons (which will never be triggered). That's ignoring that a top club would usually be paying a premium for the fact they're known to be rich. He was a proven quality defender at this level at that time, but since then he's played 23 games in 18 months. Just over a game a month. We'll take off pre-season and call it about 1.5 games a month. Really, his value should have dipped a bit, not increased.

Hopefully, Liverpool get a bit more realistic than is being reported. A 4 million fee is excessive to begin with, and then you're expecting the buying club to deal with very high wage demands too. Maybe the 4 million quoted is inclusive of paying off the excess wage on his contract so he can be signed on more reasonable terms.

It's one of them though I guess, there is no such thing as an excessive value put on a player unless no buyer agrees to it, if they get that £4m then its realistic. That Bosnian went for a similar fee without having the reputation as a proven quality Championship defender at this level. Davies is also good on the ball which suits the modern obsession of playing it out from the back, he is left footed and at a good age so I guess I can understand why he will get interest.

2 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Broughtons career has been academy based.

He will have little knowledge and no black book of the Championship.

He's been brought in to facilitate in-house academy up into first team squad.

If he pulls off a decent signing from an external source it's a bonus.

Getting lists of frees and loans is not rocket science, just a pc and Google will do.

Be worried.

This talk of a Park / Mowbray list is pretty baffling. I am quite confident that Broughton will know of all the players on it as will everyone on this message board. It will have been full of Championship and L1 players + a load of young kids from Premier League teams.

It wouldn't have been full of obscure talent from around the globe.

Broughton will know of the players (like we all do) that would come in and instantly make us more competitive. ie. Brittain and Styles. (to name a couple off the top of my head). Whether or not we can afford them is another question. 

I don't for one minute think that Broughton has little knowledge of the Championship. 

Transfers aren't happening and I don't think it's because of GB. I think we all know why nobody has come through the door yet. 
It's a bit odd that GB is getting stick already

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Its annoying but end of the day they back up their bark with bite. They actually go out and get stuff done including taking players away from here because our setup is inadequate or insufficient, whereas for all the talk we hear at Rovers there is precious little by way of result to show for it.

What we are witnessing right now is pretty much bang on what I predicted was going to happen this summer, although I must admit even I would have expected at least a signing or two by now, but to be sat here in mid-July 2 weeks from the start of the season having made 0 signings is simply inexcusable.

Yet the excuses coming through to the surface; a new manager, a new Director of Football, last regime leaving a mess behind, FFP, limited income, kids doing alright in friendlies v Accy, Dundee, Hartlepool.

None of it really matters, what matters is what shape we are in come kick off and barring a rapid change we are going to be substantially weaker.

I suppose where I and others disagree is I don't think it was ever going to pan out much differently to this. The budget cuts imposed clearly make it difficult or impossible for us to get the signings we want and this has been a problem for years, all the talk around the time Tomasson turned up was about the slow build and using the academy. Its a dangerous game in the ruthless Championship and also quite pointless if we are just going to let them walk away in 2-3 years to rivals as we did this summer.

Others seem confident in the belief that Tomasson wouldn't have come here without assurances on funds. I don't agree. I think he will have been very attracted by a big club, big job, big league from a position of unemployment and would be happy to give it a whirl and see what happens.

If its a complete reset button and we hear "we are on a journey", "we will need 3 transfer windows" ect ect.

Then IMHO, we have gone backwards.

Replacing the manager when we finished 8th, is only acceptable if we are looking to equal or better than this season, and NOT in 3 or 4 years time

Edited by glen9mullan
  • Like 3

Zac Steffen (City backup keeper) also having a medical at Boro. I’d imagine he’d demand big wages. 
No idea how they’re doing this within FFP considering someone posted their last 3 years which showed huge losses

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Gavrover said:

I do think GB does need to come out and speak though.. we've heard nothing from him since he appointed JDT.. nothing at all

I do agree with this. But then at the same time, I imagine he is working extremely hard trying to get the players in.

Even though it probably doesn't feel or look like it, I highly doubt he's just chilling in his office, spinning on his chair.

Having said all of this, I am still worried about the lack of transfers. It's pretty embarrassing that nobody has been signed yet!

11 minutes ago, superniko said:

Zac Steffen (City backup keeper) also having a medical at Boro. I’d imagine he’d demand big wages. 
No idea how they’re doing this within FFP considering someone posted their last 3 years which showed huge losses

didn't they just sell Djed Spence for loads of money??

4 hours ago, Miller11 said:

If we don’t upgrade significantly on Brown and JRC we will get absolutely ripped apart down that side every single game.

I’m still hopeful we move away from that formation, though the friendlies so far would suggest not. I think we will be exposed in the league without strong addictions, and if Brereton goes I worry about our goal threat. It would be interesting to see how Gallagher would adapt to being a focal point of it though, if it wasn’t for the urgency of results.

he's been a goal threat for all of one season though in reality!!  Have to hope he can keep it going, but its maybe a 50:50 shot that he won't...............

34 minutes ago, superniko said:

Because FFP isn't the problem that Rovers would have us believe.

Rovers want us to believe that the looming spectre of FFP means we cannot spend anything for fear of being slapped with a points deduction and it is a constant issue to tip toe around.

Of course there are limits to it - you can't go and spend £20-30 million in a transfer window and will have to sell an asset or two if you don't get promoted - not that anyone on here has suggested anything remotely close to those levels - but if you have the will to spend and determination to do it you will find a way to make it work.

The same applies at Stoke and Bristol City - staggering levels of losses yet no fire sales, no sanctions and sensible level investment in the squad.

No doubt we will get the 'but Reading' comments them being the only example of a club actually sanctioned in recent times after years of massive spending including big fees on Joao and Puscas - yet for all that Reading have got business done this summer whilst we make excuses.

Djed Spence hasn't yet been sold, sounds like that could happen imminently but even if it does isn't it intriguing how there are two big differences compared to us when we sold Rhodes/Armstrong:

One is that they are doing business AHEAD of a POTENTIAL sale - so strengthening in advance and getting straight for the season knowing there is a risk that deal might fall through. Compare to talk here that we need to see Brereton off before we know what we have to work with.

The other is that they are reinvesting the proceeds of a potential sale - compare to us where we don't see much at all of the vast proceeds and instead it goes into "running costs" or "FFP compliance" with next to nothing appearing in the transfer kitty.

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 4

37 minutes ago, superniko said:

I do, they're twisting when others would stick.

PL or bust for Boro this season. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

Replacing the manager when we finished 8th, is only acceptable if we are looking to equal or better than this season, and NOT in 3 or 4 years time

I don't agree with that. I'm extremely confident that we wouldn't have been finishing top 10 this season with Mowbray in charge. If he had been replaced in January with us in 2nd place would it only have been acceptable if we were planning to finish 1st? Or would it just have been a shrewd attempt to prevent his inevitable yearly death spiral and ensure we make the playoffs? Finishing 8th was very much the exception for Mowbray and the club (since Venkys), it's not the standard to which I will hold the next manager.

That's before we consider that the squad has been ripped asunder, the manager and DoF were appointed late, with the latter having no experience of his role, and the manager intends to impart a new style. It will take time and we have to be patient. A relegation scrap is unacceptable, but solidly midtable with signs of a better future is absolutely fine by me, this season. Next season I expect us to be challenging.

3 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

PL or bust for Boro this season. 

If I had £1 for every time I had heard that I'd be a rich man.

Truth is it won't be PL or bust at all. We all know that deep down, just like they will never be put under an embargo or given a points deduction.

They might have to sell someone if there is interest, they might have a quieter summer with less expenditure than this, but they will go again as a competitive outfit.

They certainly won't sell off £20 million of players and invest nothing, and won't slash their squad back to the bone like we have, and we won't be picking up their main players on free transfers.