BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

• Moderation Lead
18 minutes ago, JBiz said:

Had nothing to do with having our squad sorted in July though did it?

Each to their own but I’m nowhere near as worried as most and I will be giving the new setup at least a season and couple of windows before I start coming to any conclusions.

It’s a bit unfair to say that people are reaching conclusions about the new setup just now- I’m certainly not, they need time as you say. But, not having any new faces in when other clubs have been busy is a concern. Is this something I blame JDT and his new colleagues for? Of course not- the blame lies in the snail’s pace at which our Indian overlords operate at.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mellor Rover said:

It's not really money made though is it?

If you own a business and lose £20mil in the financial year, then right at the end of it you get given £5mil, you've not made £5mil, you've lost £15mil.

Agreed something should be done, but chucking money at it isn't as easy as it sounds. Unless you fancy a Coyle-era embargo again.

There are two equally important sides to FFP. One is outgoings, the other is incomings.

So of course stemming outgoings is probably the easier and quicker way to deal with FFP, but then that causes problems as we witnessing right now.

I see precious little evidence of any serious sustained effort being made to increase incomings. Whether that be no commercial director, plummeting home attendances, a sponsorship operation that ends at the M65 or no replica shirts available to buy in the shop, it all points to one thing. Not enough effort.

If FFP is the boogeyman so many seem to believe it is, then every £1 we make should enable an extra £1 to be spent. Make more money, spend more money.

The quickest way to deal with the above is to rake in huge sums from occasionally selling good players, like Brentford did to great effect, which enabled them to reinvest, build and get promoted with miniscule crowds and income. 

Yet here those player sales seem to be of no benefit whatsoever. Strange.

It's almost as though the lack of effort comes from the top, that they aren't really bothered about spending or FFP and they make it up as they go along.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, K-Hod said:

It’s a bit unfair to say that people are reaching conclusions about the new setup just now- I’m certainly not, they need time as you say. But, not having any new faces in when other clubs have been busy is a concern. Is this something I blame JDT and his new colleagues for? Of course not- the blame lies in the snail’s pace at which our Indian overlords operate at.

I guess it’s individual how people read into this scenario, I personally don’t think it’s evidence “our setup is abysmal”, and would count that as “olympic level jumping to conclusions”

Neither of us truly now how involved, bar setting budgets, our owners are.

Hence why I probably don’t share the same level of immediate concern, a worry that echoes the same day in day out bellyache, in June, whilst the manager search went on.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

How many games played by then though? A good start is key.

In September last season after 8 games,we were top 6, as were Stoke, Coventry and West Brom...

In contrast forest were bottom of the league and sheff utd 15th, Luton in 13th.

The rest as they say is history......

I'm not panicking. But I am concerned at the lack of reinforcement of the squad with a few experienced players who can immediately come into the first team (RB, CB, CM priority, for me). This is, let's remember, with the aim of pushing Rovers on from a team that disappointingly missed out on the play-offs last season. We have not yet improved the squad from that point, we have seen it weakened by departures. We all know this.

I don't subscribe to the idea that the end of the transfer window is when to judge. It is one of the points at which to judge but, inevitably, as the window begins to close, prices inflate and panic deals will be done simply to get some bodies (probably unwanted Prem youth players - when we have our own good ones) through the door. That always reminds me of the old last five minutes desperation-pull before a nightclub closed! Sensible clubs will use the period before the season starts to avoid that particular cattle market by identifying and securing targets and integrating them into the club. 

Everything our club has done this summer, in terms of process and pace, has worked against that and I fear we will pay for it.

When I will really worry is if GB/JDT start trotting out the line: "Having Dacky, Dilan and Ryan available from the start of the season is like having three new signings." It really isn't, for several reasons.

I'll keep trying not to panic but the enthusiasm I felt when JDT finally arrived is diminishing by the day. I'm glad that some posters  are managing to stay more optimistic, I really do hope you are proved right.

• Like 2

• Backroom
22 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Still can't believe the 'Blackburn Rovers reporter' is referring to Venkys as 'The Venkys' in his headline.

I find it bizarre. You don't see the media calling Richard Branson 'The Virgin'.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

Who’s to say we won’t have a good start with the team we’ve got?

You never really know I guess, but...

We were the worst team in the league for the second half of last season, and we've lost some of the better players from that group without replacing them.

I think we're in for a very bumpy ride, if we can make 3/4 quality additions in the next 15 days things could be different... but really new players benefit from having time to get to know their team-mates, gaffer and to get properly integrated tactically - we're so far behind it's ridiculous.

• Like 3

• Backroom

It genuinely settle a lot of nerves for me if we turned round and re-signed Nyambe, because right back looks WEAK at the moment.

I'm hoping this era is 'a bit Allardyce' in the sense of only signing experienced players to go straight in the team, while the flip side (non-Allardyce) is using the academy to get younger players into the first team.

• Like 4

• Backroom
1 minute ago, islander200 said:

Brighton in talks with Rangers over signing Bassey.

If they get that one over the line maybe Van Hecke will be available on loan or permanent.

Probably be other clubs interested but he seemed to enjoy his spell here last season

Won't be a loan as his contract is up next year. That gives me hope we may still be able to sign him at a relative knock-down fee of £3-5m.

9 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Won't be a loan as his contract is up next year. That gives me hope we may still be able to sign him at a relative knock-down fee of £3-5m.

His wages are relatively low at Brighton with most sites suggesting he is only on £4k per week 

Edited by islander200
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, JBiz said:

He knows as much as the rest of us, and I don’t think it’s fair to say our setup is abysmal when 99% of the issues we seemingly face are down to finance.

Anel for example - despite plenty believing it’s a made up issue, if someone is offering 10k more than our wage bill allows, we’ve no chance.

The turnover / ffp allowed limit sets our wage bill too.

If we had the money, we'd still be reaching a decision when the player went off somewhere else.

Not to say finance isn't an issue though. Always has been since Venkys rocked up. As has slow and poor decision-making.

2 hours ago, JHRover said:

We're being played Chaddy. Don't you see it?

Bring in another bloke who is supposedly going to aid recruitment 2 weeks before the start of the season, people calm down for a few weeks expecting big things, sees them through to January with the promise of jam tomorrow from the new setup.

What matters is here and now. Beyond the ludicrous situation of appointing a head of recruitment 2 weeks before the season having waited all summer, they're just buying themselves time again.

It will be another Park - 12 month deal and brought in too late to influence the summer business - what's the point other than to appear to be doing something?

Dead on!!

1 hour ago, neophox said:

Unpopular opinion, but I can see why outsiders would come to this conclusion.  It certainly draws parallels with McCarthy at Ipswich.  After 6 years large swathes of the fan base had become restless and disillusioned, probably with the quite dour and pragmatic football - following strong seasons of 6th, 7th and 9th, they'd started to finish mid-table, 16th and then 12th. 

29 March 2018 - In the end, they got their wish - McCarthy resigned and the new dawn could begin - welcome Paul Hurst from Shrewsbury... a relatively unproven manager, certainly at Championship level.

13th April 2019 - Ipswich Town boss Paul Lambert said the club's relegation is "gut-wrenching for everybody" after their drop to League One was confirmed.

I would image to those who aren't as engrossed in the club and hang on to every result, article or interview, this would be seen as an unnecessary risk. 

We've rolled the dice... taken a risk.... the fans got what they wanted - that's how many outsiders will view it.  Ultimately, JDT talks a good game but no-one knows how this season will play out - it could be a total disaster.  And if it is, just like the Allardyce sacking, and just like the Bowyer sacking, those who were ready for a change could find themselves scrabbling for excuses as to why they were correct.

FWIW, I wanted a change, but I was and still am VERY aware that any decision like this comes with  enormous caveats and potential pitfalls.  Time will tell.

Edited by Jimmy612
  • Like 8

38 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

Who’s to say we won’t have a good start with the team we’ve got?

Nobody can say that anymore that you can say we'll have a good start.

I know which scenario is the more likely though. We have lost several of our best players after all.

5 minutes ago, Jimmy612 said:

Unpopular opinion, but I can see why outsiders would come to this conclusion.  It certainly draws parallels with McCarthy at Ipswich.  After 6 years large swathes of the fan base had become restless and disillusioned, probably with the quite dour and pragmatic football - following strong seasons of 6th, 7th and 9th, they'd started to finish mid-table, 16th and then 12th. 

29 March 2018 - In the end, they got their wish - McCarthy resigned and the new dawn could begin - welcome Paul Hurst from Shrewsbury... a relatively unproven manager, certainly at Championship level.

13th April 2019 - Ipswich Town boss Paul Lambert said the club's relegation is "gut-wrenching for everybody" after their drop to League One was confirmed.

I would image to those who aren't as engrossed in the club and hang on to every article or interview, this would be seen as an unnecessary risk. 

We've rolled the dice... taken a risk.... the fans got what they wanted - that's how many outsiders will view it.  Ultimately, JDT talks a good game but no-one knows how this season will play out - it could be a total disaster.  And if it is, just like the Allardyce sacking, and just like the Bowyer sacking, those who were ready for a change could find themselves scrabbling for excuses as to why they were correct.

FWIW, I wanted a change, but I was and still am VERY aware that any decision like this comes with  enormous caveats and potential pitfalls.  Time will tell.

I understand all this but would raise a clear difference between us and Ipswich.

McCarthy resigned before the end of the season and his contract because he'd had enough of getting abuse and stick from the fans at games. Mowbray didn't resign, he hung on until the very end when his contract lapsed. He certainly didn't get any stick or abuse from fans at games.

Irrespective of what the fans wanted - and from what I've heard over 90% of people felt the time was right for a change - we need to remember that Venkys nor Waggott have any interest at all in what we want, and had it been to their convenience Mowbray would still be here. The fact that they couldn't even be arsed to confirm his departure until after he'd cleared his belongings and had weeks of a protracted departure tells me that they would have even kept Mowbray but it seems he had made up his mind by that point and couldn't be 'persuaded' to stay.

The fiasco with Tomasson's appointment tells us they had no plan for his replacement.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

So at Rovers, instead of recruiting players, the bloke brought in to recruit players is instead, busy recruiting another bloke to recruit players.

All makes sense now.

Jon Dahl Tomasson has told the fans and media that Rovers are very busy trying to bring in the new signings and he will continue to focus on coaching the team whilst Gregg Broughton and his recruitment team bringing in new signings and new staff cos we need a new head of recruitment and new recruitment/scouting staff. 

That's how the Director of Football/head coach structure works;. 

2 hours ago, JHRover said:

We're being played Chaddy. Don't you see it?

Bring in another bloke who is supposedly going to aid recruitment 2 weeks before the start of the season, people calm down for a few weeks expecting big things, sees them through to January with the promise of jam tomorrow from the new setup.

What matters is here and now. Beyond the ludicrous situation of appointing a head of recruitment 2 weeks before the season having waited all summer, they're just buying themselves time again.

It will be another Park - 12 month deal and brought in too late to influence the summer business - what's the point other than to appear to be doing something?

No we aren't being played at all JH but no surprising to yourself post this stuff time after time. 

Rovers need a new head of recruitment and its Gregg Broughton job to bring new staff. 

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

It's not a question of being dazzled by them. 

I didn't embark on analysing those players because I don't know enough to judge them, certainly not at this early stage. Quite right though some I would have been happy to see here, some not.

The point I was making was more that the recent appointment of a new manager is not an excuse for not being able to complete transfers - other clubs in similar circumstances have managed it.

Of course we can debate the quality of those signings, only time will tell, but they've got business done.

You mention those clubs in QPR, Birmingham, Dingles, Blackpool, Watford, Huddersfield but they have only changed head coach but not the structure of the footballing department like we have here. We have brought in a new DoF, head coach and head of recruitment 

You can look at each of those clubs signings and think would they improve us? A few would but not many of them. 

10 minutes ago, Mike E said:

It genuinely settle a lot of nerves for me if we turned round and re-signed Nyambe, because right back looks WEAK at the moment.

Why should be re-engage talks with Nyambe and his agent again? 

Yes we need a right back signing but I rather go and sign Nathan Byrne or Callum Brittain who are better players than Nyambe and suits how JDT wants his full backs to play

12 minutes ago, den said:

At this point we don’t need a head of recruitment, we need players. 

What was Broughton brought in for then?

New signings will happen. People need to just calm down and stop going into panic mode 

Gregg Broughton was brought in to be director of football and runs the footballing side of the club including the recruitment department which need new staff including a new recruitment chief 

• Like 1

• Backroom

Not saying we 'should', Chad's. Just using it to point out that I'm now getting nervous, and I would feel more comfortable if we had that particularly weak area boxed off.

I'd much rather sign the players you mention, but I'm now getting concerned that we haven't signed ANYBODY.

• Like 2