BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

5 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

The new structure sounds far too convoluted for my liking. I presume it goes something like this:

Manager says he wants players in X positions to DoF - DoF tells Head of Recruitment to recommend players in X positions - DoF goes to Waggot and says we want X players - Waggot goes to owners and says we want X players - tumbleweed from owners  

I honestly think Waggot is out of that loop. Broughton has a direct line to the owners RE transfers. Waggot is just in charge of squeezing our remaining fans out of every penny he can.

And the Head of Recruitment will work independently to the Director of Football i.e. he's not sat there waiting for requests. He's constantly, actively scouting players and updating the club's database for when said request lands on his desk.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

This talk of the academy players is just laughable. We had these last season, some have already had a chance here and out on loan and to date have not shown anything to suggest they can fill the holes we have been left with. TM statistically gave more games to academy/youth players than any other manager in the clubs history, so knew a thing or two about who was good enough or ready for a 46 game championship season.

Agree to disagree.

Travis was heading out on loan when Smallwood / Evans got injured and he was thrust into the starting lineup. He quickly became one of our best players (and is, quite frankly, the first name on my team sheet at present)... yet Tony didn't think he was good enough to displace two cloggers.

Wharton was sent out on loan twice, I believe securing back-to-back promotions with Bury and Northampton, but Mowbray didn't think he was good enough at 22 and was actively looking to move him on that summer. Again, he was our best CB last year (Ayala is better, but never fit - and he's a better CB than Lenihan).

He messed around with Nyambe, benching him for players like Bennett.

So whilst I disagree with the overreliance on Academy prospects this summer transfer window, I've no doubt 2-3 can step up to fill squad places and push for starts because Mowbray didn't know what he had. He loaned in Clarkson ffs - I saw him play against our U23s and we ran him off the park. 

Edited by Exiled_Rover
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Agree to disagree.

Travis was heading out on loan when Smallwood / Evans got injured and he was thrust into the starting lineup. He quickly became one of our best players (and is, quite frankly, the first name on my team sheet at present)... yet Tony didn't think he was good enough to displace two cloggers.

Wharton was sent out on loan twice, I believe securing back-to-back promotions with Bury and Northampton, but Mowbray didn't think he was good enough at 22 and was actively looking to move him on that summer. Again, he was our best CB last year (Ayala is better, but never fit - and he's a better CB than Lenihan).

So whilst I disagree with the overreliance on Academy prospects this summer transfer window, I've no doubt 2-3 can step up to fill squad places and push for starts because Mowbray didn't know what he had. He loaned in Clarkson ffs - I saw him play against our U23s and we ran him off the park. 

Both Travis and Wharton were given their chance by Mowbray, thats a fact. Travis now nearly 90 appearance for Rovers under Mowbray. Wharton was ever present once given his chance, and kept Ayala out the side. 

Neither sold and nothing to suggest either would be sold.

He signed Clarkson, it didnt work out, but then he signed Elliott, Van Hecke, Khadra, Harwood-Bellis etc. So one bad loan when you consider the calibre of the others is not the best example.

The truth is, these youth players got their chance under TM, when they were ready

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Agree to disagree.

Amen.

1 hour ago, Miller11 said:

You are inferring we can’t sign players because we haven’t got a head of recruitment. But apparently we are busy trying to bring players in. So which is it?

No I am not inferring that we can't sign players at all so god knows where you get them from but Gregg Broughton job is to improve and appoint new staff to every department under his control. 

We have been looking to sign players but we do need a new head of recruitment to replace John Park. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy612 said:

Again, I appreciate your adoration for JDT, but you have as much evidence that he has told the truth as I have that he has lied... none.  We just have to hope wheels are turning.

He has no reason to lie don't he and why wouldn't he tell the truth to a straight forward and simple question

56 minutes ago, islander200 said:

I wasn't asking for a weekly interview but considering we are 2 weeks away from the start of the season and are yet to make a signing ,it may ease a bit of worry if Broughton commented.

JDT didn't really give much comment apart from "the club are working hard". 

Gregg Broughton shouldn't be doing interviews now. His focus should be bringing in new players and new staff and supporting JDT. Leave JDT to comment on transfers and everything else. 

JDT comment is right. 

41 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Effective communication is essential in all walks of life.

To say GB and JDT have been here some 6 weeks, I think we have heard precious little from them.

They need to get their arses into gear on many fronts.

Communication from Rovers, IMO, is p1ss poor from top to bottom and if Waggott doesn't feck you off again on Monday then you need to tell him that.  You are not meeting the Queen or the Pope so go in hard and give him feckin hell - it's no good telling him everything in the garden is rosy with Rovers.  

Well I think we heard more than enough from GB and JDT since coming in. We shouldn't expect a weekly or daily update 

Mercer, Waggott rearranging that meeting wasn't a problem so stop making such a massive issues out of not one. 

Since last season, I think the communicate from Rovers has been much improve and much better than previous seasons. So we are improving that side of the club. 

5 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

I reckon the problem is that we can identify players but when it comes to wages we just can't/won't compete.

Yep

Our wage bill is something like 110%+ of our turnover

It is a poor way to run a football club and leaves you with little room to manoeuvre but that is the reality on the ground

Broughton has a difficult task at hand to land players of promotion quality on the wage structure he has to work with. You have to imagine he will want to shift the likes of Ayala pretty soon but then you also have to wonder whether all of his wage then becomes available

You want to be below 80% of your turnover, that way it allows full breathing room from FFP even in a "bad year"

In order to do that we need to become very reliant on the academy - like it or not that appears to be the way this Club is going. I think we have the boys in the academy to compete at this level, genuinely, and the likes of Travis and Wharton will lead the way this year

Loans will probably be the order of the day unless we get rid of BBD. Unfortunately, reality needs to hit some people, and all talk of 'creative' accounting with wages is easy to type on a messageboard but not easy to put into action, as clubs have found out to their peril

Those above are driving the wages down too low now it seems and that ultimately is why we've lost who we have.  Doesn't matter how it ended and what they are now getting elsewhere it all started years ago with low balling.

This will result in the recruiters having to look at lower pay grade players who the manager doesn't really want and who won't improve the team.  Just bodies for bodies sake we've been down this road before and it turned up some right shite that lent a hand on the way to relegation.

Then however we were in embargo but we aren't now as far as we know so why are we acting like it.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

So instead of recruiting players our Director of Football is recruiting a Head of Recruitment. We are two weeks away from the start of the season and presumably have to go through an interview process which, if it's anything like the recent processes will take a few weeks.

Sometimes I despair at what they are doing to our club.

image.thumb.png.19d4541b531e139f623d54e439e989a1.png

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

If we suddenly lose BBD as we did with Armstrong last season with no replacement too, then we will be heading just one way this season, and thats not towards the prem

I'm surprised you actually still consider Brereton as a Rovers player tbh. I know he's not gone anywhere yet but In my view, he's already gone. There's no way he can stay to lose him on another free. 

Edited by Neal

11 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

He has no reason to lie don't he and why wouldn't he tell the truth to a straight forward and simple question

Managers lie all the time... or let's say 'massage the truth'.   He's really just come out with platitudes when confronted directly with a question about the elephant in the room.... "The club are working really hard".... “I think they will come. It’s about patience and getting the right choices."... “It’s a new situation, a new chapter."  I could have stood in front of the reporter and answered with that degree of clarity, and my sources are this message board and Alan 'Aye' Nixon.

Frankly, it's the same stuff Mowbray would come out with last season. 

Christ, the point I'm coming to time and time again is, talk's cheap.  I'm certain JDT wants players in, why wouldn't he? But he's not even remotely in control of the important bit... the deal itself!  So until we see genuine action, fans are rightly going to be very nervous.

Edited by Jimmy612

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Glen, what your opinions on Jake Garrett, Ash Phillips and Jack Vale and do you think they are ready to be part of first team squad this coming season? 

Vale struggled whilst out on loan non league, done well at under 21s done okay at under 23s, had some terrible injury luck, probably needs a league 1 loan.

Phillips, lots of hype given by TM, but still a boy, needs a loan and some games under his belt, before we can realistically consider him first team here.

Garrett, should get some games this season, will take time a little like Buckley to really breakthrough but certainly worth some gametime.

I'd like to think each season we are giving our young players some gametime, but not to the detriment of results.

As Carter showed last season, he has some talent but was nowhere near ready for the championship and a good loan to Portsmouth, hopefully has given him some much needed expereience to push on with us this season

2 minutes ago, Neal said:

I'm surprised you actually still consider Brereton as a Rovers player tbh. I know he's not gone anywhere yet but In my view, he's already gone. There's no way he can stay to lose him on another free. 

There has to be a buyer first at Venkys valuation. I'm lead to believe any real interest is thinking £9 million with adds ons. Our valuation is £20 million. If things dont change one way or the other he won't be sold

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OsloRover said:

Jo Inge Berget seems the likely one after reading this.

BTW good job on the Swedish currency, "Koroma", lol.

It's a minor typo, but Sweden did recently switch to a curry-based currency system.

(Feel free to add an equally stupid curry-currency wordplay joke. I also understand if I am banned.)

Edited by RoverCanada
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

Vale struggled whilst out on loan non league, done well at under 21s done okay at under 23s, had some terrible injury luck, probably needs a league 1 loan.

Phillips, lots of hype given by TM, but still a boy, needs a loan and some games under his belt, before we can realistically consider him first team here.

Garrett, should get some games this season, will take time a little like Buckley to really breakthrough but certainly worth some gametime.

I'd like to think each season we are giving our young players some gametime, but not to the detriment of results.

As Carter showed last season, he has some talent but was nowhere near ready for the championship and a good loan to Portsmouth, hopefully has given him some much needed experience to push on with us this season

Thankyou for the reply there Glen. 

I think all 3 are ready for Rovers first team squad and I rather used them here than loan them out 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JBiz said:

How long till Greg gets a BRFCS nickname anyway? BroughtNowt?

DOF - Director of F*ckall

Only a joke - I'm not going to criticise anyone until they have had a chance to prove themselves but I am still worried about the very steep learning curve that he may be facing. Head of Academy at Bodo/Glimt to DOF at Rovers . It's a big jump in my opinion.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

There has to be a buyer first at Venkys valuation. I'm lead to believe any real interest is thinking £9 million with adds ons. Our valuation is £20 million. If things dont change one way or the other he won't be sold

I've give up caring whether Diaz is sold or not to be honest.

If he is, none of it will be reinvested into the first team as it never is, and second venkys will just plug the gap themselves anyway.

They clearly aren't bothered about players walking away for nothing as this summer has shown.

12 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

I've give up caring whether Diaz is sold or not to be honest.

If he is, none of it will be reinvested into the first team as it never is, and second venkys will just plug the gap themselves anyway.

They clearly aren't bothered about players walking away for nothing as this summer has shown.

They bloody well should be bothered, must be the worst type of business we could do?

I reckon BBD will walk for free. The club want to sell him but no one will pay our price with only 12 months left and the 2 main suitors, Leeds and Wham, either seem to be looking elsewhere or not making any actual moves.

• Like 1

I would be concerned if I was the owners and seeing/paying for all these posts, wondering what they all do and is it value for money.

I am not averse to DoF, or a Head of Recruitment, or any other back office staff or coaching staff, yet whilst our front facing actual Championship football players are scarce on the ground, is very worrying.

Unless that is, they have on their radar (which I think would be sensible) plans afoot to make a mega saving in this corporate set up.

From the last accounts the salaries of Rovers' three directors rose by £20,000 to £489,450. Who might these three directors be, when we have 4 current directors registered at Companies House; Cheston, Coar, Ghandi Babu & Waggott, note - Silvester is just the company secretary. I imagine Coar & Babu are not being remunerated, leaving a big wedge for the Finance Director (surely maximum £150k?) and the Managing Director. 

So hopefully a plan to terminate Waggott is all part of replacing him with these new posts. If not then Venkys are truly having their pants taken down, yet again.

• Like 2

The complete lack of transfer activity is definitely worth investigating if you are a journalist.

If anyone gets the chance you can say "the fans are concerned, as 5 or 6 players are needed, is there still a healthy budget in place?"

If any journalists close to the club read this forum, DM me if you need some pointers.

• Like 1