BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray's Reign...& is he off to Sunderland ?

8 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

I stopped paying attention to FB and the LT comments a long time ago.

A new manager comes in and wins his first game and it will all be ‘Oh it was definitely time for a change’.

These are the same people who's memories are so short they think Venkys are doing a good job and we are lucky to have them. 

What can yoi do when people can't discern fiction from reality?

• Like 4

The decent thing to do was to tell Mowbray that if we didn't get promoted then his contract wouldn't (or would) be renewed.  He could keep that to himself.  In effect by not talking to him, that's what has happened.

For some reason I've always liked TM, but I can see he shortcomings too.  That said there are a lot of managers haven't been successful at this level - many who have been lauded on this site.  With the resources open to him TM has got us into contention this season, something that were unable to do under other managers.  

So, I feel regret that he didn't do better.

Sadly none of us can have any confidence in a good appointment can we?  

• Like 4

7 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

We see shortly won't we? 

But any potential manager after beating PNE would think that's the way to play with these players. Plus bringing through our academy players is already a key part of the strategy here. 

Venkys has backed including this season Mowbray every season and he couldn't deliver Promotion. 

I would suggest you read the Venkys statement cos they never they would attend a game but they try to get to one. Maybe they turn up on Saturday who knows. I'm not bothered if they do or don't. 

We will see indeed. But your post said the plan was to get a good, ambitious manager and give them a decent transfer budget, so we can challenge for promotion.

That's every Rovers fans dream. But this is Venkys and they don't work like that.

For someone who claims he isn't bothered about his contractual situation, Mowbray doesn't half get his mates at the LT to flag it up on a regular basis to court sympathy.

Now he seems to be trying to get everyone to feel sorry for him by announcing it looks like he'll be leaving etc. Well get the violins out -  instead of cracking on he's been hard done by, he should be musing on the fact that he's been remarkably lucky to work for such tolerant owners who for some unknown reason have allowed him to limp unsatisfactorily to the end of his contract whereas at most Clubs he'd have been gone long ago.

Can't wait to see the imminent back of the bloke, it's the only thing that's keeping me going tbh.

• Like 6

• Moderation Lead
7 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

For someone who claims he isn't bothered about his contractual situation, Mowbray doesn't half get his mates at the LT to flag it up on a regular basis to court sympathy.

Now he seems to be trying to get everyone to feel sorry for him by announcing it looks like he'll be leaving etc. Well get the violins out -  instead of cracking on he's been hard done by, he should be musing on the fact that he's been remarkably lucky to work for such tolerant owners who for some unknown reason have allowed him to limp unsatisfactorily to the end of his contract whereas at most Clubs he'd have been gone long ago.

Can't wait to see the imminent back of the bloke, it's the only thing that's keeping me going tbh.

They’re only tolerant as they don’t give a shit and it allows them to keep doing the bare minimum without any noise from one of their underlings.

• Like 9

28 minutes ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

With the resources open to him TM has got us into contention this season, something that were unable to do under other managers.  

You make it sound like some sort of achievement but in reality one dalliance with the play offs before embarking on a record breaking run to drop out of contention and leaving the squad in a desperate state isn't much of a return over 4 years with the added benefit of a £90-£100m quid investment from the owners is it?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I think it was Andy Bayes from the BBC asking the questions.  

1 minute ago, RevidgeBlue said:

You make it sound like some sort of achievement but in reality one dalliance with the play offs before embarking on a record breaking run to drop out of contention and leaving the squad in a desperate state isn't much of a return over 4 years with the added benefit of a £90-£100m quid investment from the owners is it?

Well dalliance with the play-offs is better than relegation and mid table finishes.  As for the money......most of that has been to cover loses.

9 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

They’re only tolerant as they don’t give a shit and it allows them to keep doing the bare minimum without any noise from one of their underlings.

I didn't intend the word  "tolerant" in this context as a compliment - I meant tolerant towards him.

If it had been up to me I'd have fired him after poor performances and results at various points in each of the last 4 seasons.

3 minutes ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

Well dalliance with the play-offs is better than relegation and mid table finishes.  As for the money......most of that has been to cover loses.

Caused by a hefty wage bill which many managers might have put to far better use.

• Like 2

Mowbray is trying to engineer a position of strength for himself here.

Make it out like he's decided to leave, put the lack of contract 'blame' elsewhere, cite reasons of work/life balance, and get people feeling sorry for him.

He'll either get a new contract here - which is what I think he's trying to force the issue with - or will resurface at some other club before long. 

Work/life balance my arse, he lives a millionaire's life of Riley does that man. He's trying to pull the wool over anyone who'll listen.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, yoda's brother said:

nope, just that some have mentioned him before

I think that Mowbray is “doing a Warburton” to flesh out the owners and highlight to all suitors that he is not tarnished goods.

Unfortunately for Warburton and his spin masters, it is a case of be careful what you wish for. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61263745

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bigbrandjohn said:

I think that Mowbray is “doing a Warburton” to flesh out the owners and highlight to all suitors that he is not tarnished goods.

Unfortunately for Warburton and his spin masters, it is a case of be careful what you wish for. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61263745

The difference is in the article, just like TM, Warburton talks about no new deal being offered in his presser, the club then responds that very afternoon talking about future plans (not involving Warburton)…

Here? If he does actually go, firstly we won’t hear anything from the owners and then after some bargain bin trawling, some journeyman will trap up at some point in the summer.

10 hours ago, yoda's brother said:

dont know if this has been mentioned (cant be bothered looking back) but warburton will be available

And QPR at least, have had the decency to tell the manager he's off and make an announcement for their fans too.

Is it really that difficult for Rovers to do the same?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, JC4LAB said:

Maybe its just canny Venkys waiting to see where we end up this season. .Hes been a good manager in the clubs current financial situation..

What "current financial situation" is that then?

The one whereby the owners top up our income every year to the maximum level allowable under the  FFP regulations?

I agree I could see the sense in waiting to see where we end up IF that is the reason he hasn't been told anything. The owners would look a bit silly if they'd come out with the usual backslapping "We'd like to thank Tony for all his sterling work and wish him all the best for the future" type guff some time ago and then he'd gone on to get us promoted.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

And QPR at least, have had the decency to tell the manager he's off and make an announcement for their fans too.

The big difference for me is QPR are definitely out of the play offs whilst we still have a very slender chance.

Once we are mathematically out of it I wouldn't be surprised to hear a similar sort of announcement coming out of Ewood.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

But we have silent owners and an anonymous CEO so it's nothing there's nothing out of the ordinary in Rovers world.

Mowbray himself has been saying maybe they are waiting to see where we finish so perhaps he has been told at some point top 6 or offski.  Possible he thought the win the other night might force their hand a bit but hes heard nothing, if only he'd started strikers at Coventry.

And had the team showing more urgency from the off in that game, the Reading game and the two other home games he wouldn't be in this dilemma now.  All it needed was a few more points, they win prizes but hes been too busy at times telling everybody hes only bothered about individuals.

Looks like he's about to be bitten on the backside.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I think that is a bit harsh. If any other championship club on the edge of the playoffs had a manager out of contract in 2 games times I’d expect their local papers to be asking questions about it pretty relentlessly. 
I’m actually surprised they’ve not been asking earlier and more often (it is their job)

• Like 1