BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Birmingham City (a) - 7/5/22

Burnley will have to pay a significant amount of £65,000,000 back if there relegated, the money they borrowed, Lets hope there relegated, there fans have been mouthing off about Blackburn Rovers going under in the Lancashire Telegraph all season.Can't understand why burnley fans are allowed on the Rovers comments page.We would be banned on their page.

10 minutes ago, den9112 said:

The new Ben Gladwin 

Everyone under Mowbray trains well, we have his word on that.

It's just that reality is in match time.

I never got to see Giles Mahrez come in from the right and curl one left footed into the top corner,

Such is life, such is football.

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, RoversTilliDie said:

Nice to see Buckley win young player of the year, home grown talent who's up for it in a Rovers shirt. There were also awards for Diaz (lets hope we can keep hold of him) and Travis for most creative player.

Best laugh I've had this season.

Travis is many things, creative is not one of them.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Everyone under Mowbray trains well, we have his word on that.

It's just that reality is in match time.

I never got to see Giles Mahrez come in from the right and curl one left footed into the top corner,

Such is life, such is football.

Were Rovers went wrong 2nd half of the season, Mowbrays tactics and sticking to the same formation almost every game that the opposition did there homework on months ago.Probably why we got beat with most of them 2nd half of the season.

• Like 1

Not as simple as saying the fault lies with "no one else." Amidst a promotion push and aside from the excused Markanday, he spent 200k and the other 2 were loans, maybe it would be reasonable to expect more even in those limited markets but you are always facing an uphill battle to do much with that.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Not as simple as saying the fault lies with "no one else." Amidst a promotion push and aside from the excused Markanday, he spent 200k and the other 2 were loans, maybe it would be reasonable to expect more even in those limited markets but you are always facing an uphill battle to do much with that.

he`s the manager,plenty of free transfers out there who could have  scored goals,please stop trying to absolve mowbray of the blame for our collapse,he`s the manager and he`s ****** it up big style by not signing a centre forward and putting his players out of position more often than not,the stupid false nine bollocks also lost of us a dozen points,the derby first half was the most ridiculous team line up iv`e ever seen in 40 years of watching football,thank god the lads reacted,managed themselves and ripped into the second half while he sulked his way through 45 minutes

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

he`s the manager,plenty of free transfers out there who could have  scored goals,please stop trying to absolve mowbray of the blame for our collapse,he`s the manager and he`s ****** it up big style by not signing a centre forward and putting his players out of position more often than not,the stupid false nine bollocks also lost of us a dozen points,the derby first half was the most ridiculous team line up iv`e ever seen in 40 years of watching football,thank god the lads reacted,managed themselves and ripped into the second half while he sulked his way through 45 minutes

Plenty of free transfers available in January? 

And how is that absolving Mowbray of any blame? I don't need to come up with conspiracy stories in a game we ended up winning comfortably nor fabricating a host of available free transfers in January to know that the manager played a huge part and was ultimately responsible as manager for where we are set to finish in the table, hence me wanting him to go, equally he was responsible for getting us to 2nd in the first place.

I was merely pointing out that giving the manager 700k knowing that 500k worth was knowingly injured well in advance of the deadline, as well as refusing the manager the autonomy to sell a player and use the funds to reinvest is not what I would consider to be backing a manager considering the position that we was in. My point was against Venkys, not in support of Mowbray.

• Like 1

Given how well Mowbray has done with the loan market in his time here (how used is another debate) it was a bit surprising his business wasn't great in Jan.

A man like him was perfectly capable of pulling better in, like some actual goal threat.

• Like 3

I think the loan market is a different market altogether in the January window with most promising youngsters loaned out in the summer instead, as was the case with Adarabioyo, Elliott, Van Hecke etc. The parent clubs would also presumably want to know that these players will play and with us in such good form at the time it was always going to take time for them to break through.

The loans that went elsewhere in the Championship were underwhelming on the whole. You look at both Balogun and Connolly at Boro and Forss at Hull and they have done little. Archer has done ok at Preston but again hes played every game, Keinan Davis has been the stand out.

I just don't think he was looking for what we necessarily really needed.

Zefuick, fair enough a handy player as back up if he stayed fit maybe.

DM, just another future punt who in truth probably wouldn't have got much of a sniff give the people already here.

Giles, decent signing on paper and should have worked out better. I think he put a lot of stock into that one but he wasn't what was really needed.

Hedges, a real head scratcher that one for a few reasons, biggest one being not using the guy.

So it isn't really even a mixed bag as non worked or had any impact but if you constantly go for back up players than that's all you can really expect.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, tomphil said:

I just don't think he was looking for what we necessarily really needed.

Zefuick, fair enough a handy player as back up if he stayed fit maybe.

DM, just another future punt who in truth probably wouldn't have got much of a sniff give the people already here.

Giles, decent signing on paper and should have worked out better. I think he put a lot of stock into that one but he wasn't what was really needed.

Hedges, a real head scratcher that one for a few reasons, biggest one being not using the guy.

So it isn't really even a mixed bag as non worked or had any impact but if you constantly go for back up players than that's all you can really expect.

I honestly think Mowbray gave up on the idea of promotion a couple of years ago when he realised that the owners wouldn't be giving him money to spend to bring in promotion winning players.

According to him, he needs a big budget in order to play the possession football he wants. That is the way to promotion for him. Not with a team of Academy graduates and "young lads". He doesn't believe in these lads to deliver promotion and I think that explains his behaviour this season and why it's all about development now. His message last week was "if you just want to win you need to spend some money and bring in players who can help do that".

He came out and said "these lads are punching above their weight" when we were up there in January. That's not what any of us wanted to hear, but it shows his lack of belief in them and his lack of a winning mentality. A better manager would have got more out of our squad and had us finish inside the top 6.

What we saw in January was a disgrace from the owners and Mowbray. The owners, because they showed no ambition, no care and they didn't give him a decent amount to spend. Mowbray, because he was so blase, uninterested and unmoved by our league position. He wasted the little resources he had on fillers and not one of them suggested promotion was on his mind.

Then again, he said promotion didn't even cross his mind "one iota". I don't think he was lying when he said that as he doesn't believe this squad can achieve promotion. If it is true that he had to "calm them down" when the owners wanted to spend years ago, then it serves him right as he seems to have paid the price for that ever since.

A crap and infuriating way to end the season, where the only people who wanted and had hopes of promotion in January were the fans.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

I honestly think Mowbray gave up on the idea of promotion a couple of years ago when he realised that the owners wouldn't be giving him money to spend to bring in promotion winning players.

According to him, he needs a big budget in order to play the possession football he wants. That is the way to promotion for him. Not with a team of Academy graduates and "young lads". He doesn't believe in these lads to deliver promotion and I think that explains his behaviour this season and why it's all about development now. His message last week was "if you just want to win you need to spend some money and bring in players who can help do that".

He came out and said "these lads are punching above their weight" when we were up there in January. That's not what any of us wanted to hear, but it shows his lack of belief in them and his lack of a winning mentality. A better manager would have got more out of our squad and had us finish inside the top 6.

What we saw in January was a disgrace from the owners and Mowbray. The owners, because they showed no ambition, no care and they didn't give him a decent amount to spend. Mowbray, because he was so blase, uninterested and unmoved by our league position. He wasted the little resources he had on fillers and not one of them suggested promotion was on his mind.

Then again, he said promotion didn't even cross his mind "one iota". I don't think he was lying when he said that as he doesn't believe this squad can achieve promotion. If it is true that he had to "calm them down" when the owners wanted to spend years ago, then it serves him right as he seems to have paid the price for that ever since.

A crap and infuriating way to end the season, where the only people who wanted and had hopes of promotion in January were the fans.

Good post.

The blame is collective including a few of the players and together they've all fooked it up.

Fans aren't stupid - mostly - that's why there is clear anger instead of a 'we had a right good go' vibe.

3 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

they gave him 12 million quid,he went and bought brereton and gallagher,prior to that they gave him 2 million to buy armstrong and 500,000 to buy rothwell,they also gave him a massive budget for league one,as much as i despise the chicken mob,they`ve backed mowbray more than anyone in their charge,he`s basically just got us back to where we were five years ago,fair play to him for getting rid of the dead wood (lowe,akpan,guthrie etc) but really he`s not done a good job,poor manager imo,you can`t blame venkys for mowbrays failings,it`s most likely the reason that they ar`nt renewing his contract or speaking to him,they see him as a failure as well

• Like 3

2 hours ago, tomphil said:

Moreover he played him in the wrong position most of the time, and persisted with the fantasy that he was going to start smashing shots in from the right despite all evidence to the contrary. That's the main reason Giles didn't work out better.

• Like 2

Investment is only useful if its followed by allowing a percentage of re-investment on a continious basis. Mowbray spent 10m that first summer on 3 players, one of whom was sold for 15m, one of whom will likely be sold for similar and one of whom would have been sold at considerable profit had Venkys not meddled. Theres just a lack of a plan from the top and I suspect that wont change.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Investment is only useful if its followed by allowing a percentage of re-investment on a continious basis. Mowbray spent 10m that first summer on 3 players, one of whom was sold for 15m, one of whom will likely be sold for similar and one of whom would have been sold at considerable profit had Venkys not meddled. Theres just a lack of a plan from the top and I suspect that wont change.

Although he did spend ALL the money from one other player sale.....on Sam Gallagher.

Perhaps that didn't go down too well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

Although he did spend ALL the money from one other player sale.....on Sam Gallagher.

Perhaps that didn't go down too well.

His overall spending on players over 1m have left us with 3 players, one of whom generated 15m the other way and the other set to follow. I think that is a pretty respectable record.

The sale mentioned also was followed by a good replacement at a fraction of the cost, albeit with a year gap.

The year gap also being another wasted season

The player sold is now a Prem player and Spanish International

His spending on two out of three isn't bad but the subject raised was re-investing and looking at that then he shot himself in the foot. After selling a goalie to buy a striker ( his own words )

If anybody is taking any notice in Pune then they'll have noticed that, hence in recent times there might have been concern with giving him a lump.

Edited by tomphil

12 hours ago, tomphil said:

Given how well Mowbray has done with the loan market in his time here (how used is another debate) it was a bit surprising his business wasn't great in Jan.

A man like him was perfectly capable of pulling better in, like some actual goal threat.

Even loans cost money, be it a contribution to wages or a loan fee to the parent club. Venkys pulled the financial plug in 2020 if the truth be known, they even refused to replace the pitch.

What Mowbray achieved in the summer was remarkable in my opinion, with little or no financial backing, he was given nothing in January to push for promotion.

Venkys Out.

18 minutes ago, Gav said:

Even loans cost money, be it a contribution to wages or a loan fee to the parent club. Venkys pulled the financial plug in 2020 if the truth be known, they even refused to replace the pitch.

What Mowbray achieved in the summer was remarkable in my opinion, with little or no financial backing, he was given nothing in January to push for promotion.

Venkys Out.

That's a bit of a contradiction seeing as he brought in 4 players in Jan and that's the first proper business in that window for a long time.

And yes they cost money, one of them was coming in summer for free anyway.

I don't know how many times this needs pointing out but it's a collective cock up, he was never getting 5 0r 10 million. He should have got a couple of million though but did he even ask ???

All the noises he makes suggest not so he spent what was left in the pot, his call, his players and his choice to use them or not as the case may be.  Either way it will still have cost a million quid or so.

10 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

they gave him 12 million quid,he went and bought brereton and gallagher,prior to that they gave him 2 million to buy armstrong and 500,000 to buy rothwell,they also gave him a massive budget for league one,as much as i despise the chicken mob,they`ve backed mowbray more than anyone in their charge,he`s basically just got us back to where we were five years ago,fair play to him for getting rid of the dead wood (lowe,akpan,guthrie etc) but really he`s not done a good job,poor manager imo,you can`t blame venkys for mowbrays failings,it`s most likely the reason that they ar`nt renewing his contract or speaking to him,they see him as a failure as well

You can blame them for not firing him years ago.