BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Realistically, how high can the club become again?

Given the right guidance and finance I don't see why Rovers can't compete with the likes of Burnley, Watford, Norwich, Bournemouth, Fulham, Southampton, WBA and the likes. 

Anyways, football in the prem is a closed shop for the top teams. Christ! Even spurs  whome I loathe beyond belief and haven't won anything for donkeys deem themselves a massive club. 

We will have our chances again but not for now. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nuttall is lost said:

Can we even achieve mid table Premier League status?  I hate the way modern football has meant only big clubs can dream of success.  The hope of winning trophies seem like something from a different stratosphere now. 

Do you think Bournemouth thought they'd be a mid table Prem club (for a bit) back when they were in what was it, the 4th tier? Time changes stature. If clubs like that can do it, the mighty Blackburn Rovers can.

But it will need the right hands at the wheel. Ideally different owners, but we might get away with a lucky CEO and manager appointment at some stage. We weren't miles off the first stage (promotion) this season under the plodder that is Mowbray. The right manager would have gotten us over the line.

• Like 4

• Herbie6590 changed the title to Realistically, how high can the club become again?
On 05/05/2022 at 01:35, Aqualung said:

Given the right guidance and finance I don't see why Rovers can't compete with the likes of Burnley

Think back to before we were taken over by Venky's. Imagine ever muttering that sentence.

• Like 1

I think it's possible for Rovers to stay in the Premiership but maybe not compete for mid table. Of course it requires the right combination of home grown talent, manager, and transfers to get into the league and picking up a few key players once there to maintain status in top flight but it is possible (at least as things are right now). As transfers continue to get more and more outrageous it could mean that adding key players to compete for mid table is impossible but certainly could strive to stay in the premier league.  I don't know if it's a great example and someone can correct me if I am wrong but I think it cost Newcastle over 100 million pounds to go from relegation in December 2021 to mid table today.

With the current ownership we will never move anywhere else other than mid table in the Championship. 

That is key to the way they operate their business model. Mid table second division with a high turnover in playing staff = lots of commission for the agents that more than likely run the club.

This season was the prime example of this. Sitting second in January yet no investment whatsoever even though they pocketed millions from the Armstrong sale months before.

It feels to me like it's Del and Rodney trying to become millionaires.

We will try for years to get to the Premier League and if we finally get there, we will realise it's not actually any fun when we just get hammered most weeks.

End of the day is the PL now a big city/big fanbase closed shop? The fact you have had Watford, Palace, Burnley, Bournemouth, Fulham, Brentford in and around it says not.

Therefore it is possible to rise again, but not plausible with these owners.

• Like 1

If this question was posed in the 80s not a single person would say Rovers could win the league title.

We are Rovers. Biggest town club there is. Proudest history there is. Long list of potential buyers when we become available.

We will win the league title again. 100%

Lower half of the Prem. I’ll get pelters for saying it again, but there’s no fun trying your best to finish 17th and getting smashed by Liverpool. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

If this question was posed in the 80s not a single person would say Rovers could win the league title.

We are Rovers. Biggest town club there is. Proudest history there is. Long list of potential buyers when we become available.

We will win the league title again. 100%

Will we buggery! The top end of the PL is now full of petro-sovereign state clubs!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, J*B said:

Lower half of the Prem. I’ll get pelters for saying it again, but there’s no fun trying your best to finish 17th and getting smashed by Liverpool. 

And that is less preferable than finishing 10th to 18th in the second tier in front of a two thirds empty ground with a team of loanees and journeymen, and still getting spanked 7-0 at home and putting in stinkers of performances at the likes of Peterborough, is it?

• Like 4

I think we'll be stuck in this division under this ownership. 2nd in Jan is likely to be the peak while they remain. We'll probably be looking back on this January window quite a bit. To not invest and go for it from that position doesn't bode well, particularly as they apparently wanted an immediate promotion to the Premier League in 2018. What prevented them this time? Some might say FFP, but nobody was asking for a ridiculous spend in January, just a reasonable amount based on us being in a promising position.

I suppose promotion might be possible in theory with the right manager and him being backed. Bottom five is the best we'd probably do if that was to ever happen, IMO. The finances are huge in the Premier League and I can't see them shelling out much on transfer fees. From day one they talked about "leasing" players. The top 10 is getting further and further out of reach for us. Newcastle have just spent £100m to get there.

Our only hope of getting back to being a top 10 Premier League team? New owners who know how football works.

Edited by SuperBrfc

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Difference being other billionaires use their clubs as a vehicle for glory, political clout, sport washing, brand development etc etc, so put their money where their mouth is… this lot? 🤷‍♂️

Oh contraire Rodney, oh contraire.

They are Chicken People chickening out.  They do exactly as it says on the tin.

Non "big six clubs" can't get in the CL. In the last 15 years the only club that wasn't Liverpool, City, Utd, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea in the CL was Leicester once!

Outside of that's it's a free for all. West Ham, Burnley, Wolves, Southampton, Everton, Hull, Swansea, Wigan, Fulham, Stoke, Wigan, Birmingham, Villa, Bolton, Portsmouth, Newcastle and of course Rovers have qualified for the UEFA cup in the last 15 years.

I don't think that's really changed. Leicester and West Ham qualified last year. It's an achievable target for a club like Rovers.