BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Jon Dahl Tomasson - Officially No Longer Our Head Coach

37 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Must be something in the mentality of players that ply their trade at this level. Plenty of talented footballers, but you can wave goodbye to most games if you concede the first goal.

It’s the mentality or lack of it more than pure ability that separates the top players from some of those playing at lower levels. How many times have have you watched a cup upset and thought “ That lad’s a good player, he’s been out standing today, should we sign him ? “ Then you might watch him the following week in a league game and he hardly features. That’s because he can only raise his game for big games. The top players can raise their game to top level most of the time.

Exactly. Some players certainly do have the ability they just don’t want it enough, whilst other more limited players have the mentality and have grafted their arses off to carve out a decent Premier League career.

Edited by Mattyblue

The Sunderland game in particular was one where we go on to win, if we convert one of those many early chances.

As it was, we went behind twice and they picked us off as we chased the game.

I think we'd be comfortably top 6 right now if we had a striker who could have converted a number of those early chances in games.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Yes you can, because if you score first you aren't chasing the game. 

Pretty basic stuff. 

Well obviously, but our leaky defence (might have changed after our clean sheet yesterday to being the second or third worst) is as much of a concern to me, a byproduct of how we set up. We equalised against Ipswich, Sunderland and Leicester so conceding first was not a terminal blow. Conceding 3 and 4 goals suggests a problem beyond merely not taking the chances. Our goals for tally should be higher but at 17 it is only bettered by 7 teams.

9 hours ago, Andy said:

The Sunderland game in particular was one where we go on to win, if we convert one of those many early chances.

As it was, we went behind twice and they picked us off as we chased the game.

I think we'd be comfortably top 6 right now if we had a striker who could have converted a number of those early chances in games.

Plymouth was another. If Hedges puts away that gilt edged chance I'm convinced we would have won.

• Like 3

Yeah, that was a particularly tough one to take - we played them off the park, but missed chance after chance.
The Hedges one was an incredible miss.

Score first and we win comfortably.

You like to think these things even themselves out over the course of the season.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/10/2023 at 14:30, Mattyblue said:

Exactly. Some players certainly do have the ability they just don’t want it enough, whilst other more limited players have the mentality and have grafted their arses off to carve out a decent Premier League career.

Pretty depressing to think someone has the ability to earn 80k per week and set themselves up for life by the age of 30 and yet are too lazy and are content to "settle" for 10k and the uncertainties of what to do when it all ends.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

If Ajax came in for him, he would almost certainly go, of course he would.

But why would they go for him, even allowing for recent woes? A manager managing a mid table Championship side with no emotional element either.

I think that at the moment, Rovers and JDT are a good match for each other. In the future that will change. I really like JDT but all managers leave eventually. I just hope that JDT leaves as a successful manager, in a few seasons.

• Like 1

"When a goalkeeper makes a mistake, it costs goals," Tomasson said. "When a centre-back makes a mistake, it costs goals.

"When a striker makes a mistake, not scoring those chances, it doesn't cost games. I think he can share a beer on the bus back to Rovers."

Legend

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I really like JDT but I wish he wasn’t coming out with things like this…

He said: "You saw how we can play football, a very clear way of playing football against a good Premier League side."

Tomasson added: "Every Premier League club wants good players who can play football, who can defend as well. Otherwise, there is no reason to buy my players."

3 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

I really like JDT but I wish he wasn’t coming out with things like this…

He said: "You saw how we can play football, a very clear way of playing football against a good Premier League side."

Tomasson added: "Every Premier League club wants good players who can play football, who can defend as well. Otherwise, there is no reason to buy my players."

almost certainly a message that to show that he is succeeding with the project. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

The only honest thing this club ever comes out with is the fact that promotion is not remotely a priority, merely developing players. 

An academy with a professional club bolted on.

Developing them for other clubs it would seem.

Maybe that’s ‘where we are’ but there’s no need, imo, for JDT to state it so publicly.

Edited by wilsdenrover

11 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

Developing them for other clubs it would seem.

Maybe that’s ‘where we are’ but there’s no need, imo, for JDT to state it so publicly.

He has done this a few times now and without knowing what goes on behind the scenes, perhaps it is something he needs to do, to retain his sanity.

I know posters on here have said it out of frustration and anger, but if there is no real desire to get into the premier league, perhaps he now sees the job as a road to nowhere. He is probably telling the fans what most of us already know and this it we are owned and run by a load of chancers.

As we saw this morning, with the snapshots form the BBC website, some fans still see Venky's as badly advised and insist that they are good owners.

I applaud JDT for putting the message out there, that this is simply not the case.

Edited by lraC
Typo