BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Premier League 22-23

I cant imagine Nagelsmann to going for the Spuds job, but if he did, he won’t last two minutes working for Levy. He’s far too forthright in his views, so like Mourino and Conte who both told it how it is at Spurs, Nagelsmann would be the next top manager to be fired off. What a car crash they are. 

On 25/04/2023 at 13:03, Norbert Rassragr said:

I'd love Spurs have a complete brain fart appointment in the style of Kinnear managing Newcastle. Obviously Owen Could, Steve Kean or Steve Bruce would be unrealistic, but someone who is a Premier League equivalent would be hilarious.

Egil Olsen or Christian  gross

Just now, joey_big_nose said:

Was really hoping Arsenal would make a game of it but it was an absolute schooling . Its a one team league. Sad when the second teams best player is a reject from the best team.

Who's that? Jesus? Not saka or odergaard?

40 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

just look at lack of planning from owners when replacing sacked managers over the last 12 months like Leeds, Southampton, Leicester, Everton, Chelsea. 

Wolves and Villa went and get their first choices and put in the ground work first to achieve who they wanted 

Absolutely mental.

Fair do's binning someone off who's not getting it done but having no idea what to do after is madness.

1 hour ago, roverandout said:

Who's that? Jesus? Not saka or odergaard?

Yeah probably say Jesus is their best. Odegaard and Saka also very good.

But probably Man City wouldnt swap a single player of their starting XI for an Arsenal player. Maybe Saka but hes on a similar level to what they already have in spades (Grealish, Foden, Mahrez, Bernardo). Rather have Haaland than Jesus, De Brunye than Odegaard, Rodri than Partey etc.

Im used to the gap between the CL clubs and everyone else. But City now opening a big gap between them and everyone. Obviously can argue that Arsenal have been top of the table all season. But theyve not been in Europe etc, and now being pulled back.

I hope the Premier Leagues attempt to be more competitive is not just to let more suspect authoritarian regiemes buy clubs and pour in wealth fund money. We need some spending caps and mandatory partial fan ownership imo.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Yeah probably say Jesus is their best. Odegaard and Saka also very good.

But probably Man City wouldnt swap a single player of their starting XI for an Arsenal player. Maybe Saka but hes on a similar level to what they already have in spades (Grealish, Foden, Mahrez, Bernardo). Rather have Haaland than Jesus, De Brunye than Odegaard, Rodri than Partey etc.

Im used to the gap between the CL clubs and everyone else. But City now opening a big gap between them and everyone. Obviously can argue that Arsenal have been top of the table all season. But theyve not been in Europe etc, and now being pulled back.

I hope the Premier Leagues attempt to be more competitive is not just to let more suspect authoritarian regiemes buy clubs and pour in wealth fund money. We need some spending caps and mandatory partial fan ownership imo.

I wouldn't have Jesus anywhere near as their best player.  He's been disappointing.  Saka has been a revelation this season and odergaard is the key player in the middle.  Jesus is a good striker though but I would expect that they need another forward in the summer

That review of City finances could have Juventus style consequences for English football.

I suspect we will end up with the last four title winners in effect being delegitimised but staying on the record books.

The speed with which City commercial income rose to become the biggest in the world was either marketing genius of a level it would be the stuff of Harvard case studies or rigged.

The investigation wouldn't have been initiated without prima facie evidence City have cheated the FFP on an industrial scale.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Booking keepers for timewasting is pointless too. Has any keeper ever been sent off for two bookings for time wasting.

Independent time keeper for stoppages, add them on at the end. Like in the World Cup, obviously will lead to big numbers at least to begin with but so be it.

I don't think there has been a keeper sent off for two yellows but maybe that's because invariably they get the ball into play quicker after being cautioned. There might be lots of added time initially but when managers realise there is no benefit in effectively cheating they will advise their players differently.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, wilsdenrover said:

I can’t recall who on here said it, but someone suggested that time wasting should be a free kick to the opposition.

I thought that was a very sensible suggestion - which probably means the authorities have never even considered it.

Sorry to quote myself but I’ve been thinking about this further.

Are there any other bookable offences which don’t result in a free kick? 

23 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

Sorry to quote myself but I’ve been thinking about this further.

Are there any other bookable offences which don’t result in a free kick? 

Could have been me that said it. Can't remember who we were playing but their GK was dicking about in 90+ minutes and a yellow is of no benefit to us. 

Pushing and shoving at a set piece usually results in the ref having a word and some times booking but never giving a foul either way

• Like 1

5 hours ago, philipl said:

That review of City finances could have Juventus style consequences for English football.

By this do you mean a 15 point deduction, only for it to be rescinded a few months later, making a mockery of the league. 

What I find incredible is seeing some of the worldwide bans from football upheld, yet the point deduction rescinded. Surely its either one or the other. Its like they've been found guilty but decided to only punish the individuals rather than the club, but they were acting in what they saw as the clubs best interest, bringing them an advantage. They weren't doing it for their own personal gain. Every time the Italian league seems to be improving the authorities over there somehow seem to totally mess it all up.

2 hours ago, RoverDom said:

Could have been me that said it. Can't remember who we were playing but their GK was dicking about in 90+ minutes and a yellow is of no benefit to us. 

Pushing and shoving at a set piece usually results in the ref having a word and some times booking but never giving a foul either way

A concerted effort by every referee would rectify this. Allow the pushing, shirt holding etc and as soon as the ball is in play penalise them with either free kick or a penalty. At the moment the easy option is taken but in many games players are warned several times and still nothing done, there is absolutely no deterrent and until action is taken universally they will keep doing it. It's now a pet have of mine and adds nothing to the value of the game.

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

A concerted effort by every referee would rectify this. Allow the pushing, shirt holding etc and as soon as the ball is in play penalise them with either free kick or a penalty. At the moment the easy option is taken but in many games players are warned several times and still nothing done, there is absolutely no deterrent and until action is taken universally they will keep doing it. It's now a pet have of mine and adds nothing to the value of the game.

Me too. Everyone was up in arms around the Coventry equaliser due to the handball. But they had multiple corners towards the end of the game with half their team in our 6 yard box trying to wrestle Pears and our defenders pretty much behind the goal line. The ref chatted to them on 2 or 3 separate occasions but didn't actually blow his whistle once. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RoverDom said:

I looked at the rules earlier and a free kick can only be given if the ball is in play.

I guess that would explain the time wasting and set pieces thing.

Edited by wilsdenrover

6 hours ago, arbitro said:

I don't think there has been a keeper sent off for two yellows but maybe that's because invariably they get the ball into play quicker after being cautioned. There might be lots of added time initially but when managers realise there is no benefit in effectively cheating they will advise their players differently.

Even if all the time is added on (which it invariably isn’t) the time wasting still has the effect of ‘breaking the rhythm’ of the opposing team. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

Even if all the time is added on (which it invariably isn’t) the time wasting still has the effect of ‘breaking the rhythm’ of the opposing team. 

One of the ways to stop the other teams momentum is for a player to go down injured, particularly with a head injury as this almost guarantees the game being stopped. Then amazingly after some magic hands are laid on them they are fit again. The authorities see fit to have them leave the field only to immediately return as soon as play restarts - some deterrent. I spoke to an ex colleague still involved in a senior role in refereeing and he said one of the fears with head injuries is litigation in as much as a player being denied treatment could have a serious injury and consequences. My suggestion was that any player leaving the field for any injury cannot return for a specified time. Certainly something has to be done about the amount of time lost during a game and then not added on.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

play leicester away on monday night,huge game for both clubs

Everton then play Brighton away and City at home, so they could be almost gone by the time they hit the last 2 games.

Whenever I see them they seem to have no spark or quality. If they lose on Monday I think they’re going down.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DE. said:

After tonight's defeat to Bournemouth, Southampton are surely gone. Looking like it'll be between Leeds, Forest, Everton and Leicester for the final two relegation spots. 

Agree. Very surprised Bournmouth will be staying up. Had them and Leeds as going down with Southampton. As we near the business end of the season I'm feeling that my predictions are as accurate as a Hedges shot. 

It's a tough call.

Leicester have a softness i've not seen in a long time, despite some very talented players. 

Everton are toothless up front and have a horrific run in. 

Leeds were for a while playing well and still losing, which is a very worrying sign. (For them that is, I mean I rather like it.) They've picked up some points but had heavy losses of late. 

Forest fluctuate from showing the quality of their expenditure to looking like a disjointed thrown together mess, both of which seem true. Never sure which one will turn up. 

Blimey you can make a case for any of them. Will be fascinating to see who goes down. 

Incidentally I think Palace were wrong to get rid of Viera when they did. They'd had a tough run of games and had some winnable ones coming up when they sacked him.  I feel they'd have done similar to how they have done with or without the managerial change. 

Other end of the table City must be sleeping well knowing big clubs like manure and spuds can't mount a challenge. (spurs aren't that big, but you get the point )

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ben_the_beast said:

By this do you mean a 15 point deduction, only for it to be rescinded a few months later, making a mockery of the league. 

What I find incredible is seeing some of the worldwide bans from football upheld, yet the point deduction rescinded. Surely its either one or the other. Its like they've been found guilty but decided to only punish the individuals rather than the club, but they were acting in what they saw as the clubs best interest, bringing them an advantage. They weren't doing it for their own personal gain. Every time the Italian league seems to be improving the authorities over there somehow seem to totally mess it all up.

No I am going back to the early 2000s Juve scandal.

I agree the latest Juve scandal is just a total mess now. No consistency, no clarity on what the future attitudes would be and nobody emerging with with any respect or credit.