BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship - 22-23

32 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Watford rolling the managerial dice again..... Wilder to replace Bilic until the end of the season

Strange appointment Bilic - managerial career been on downward spiral for some time.

Not sure Wilder will do much better.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Chaos again at Watford. They will never learn there.

Was Bilic doing such a poor job really?

I don't know if it was Bilic's fault in particular as he's only been in the job 6 months, but Watford weren't doing great. Unfair to sack a manager who didn't even begin the season though.

• Backroom

Eh, you'd have to be pretty naive as a manager to go into the Watford job presuming you'll last much longer than six months if you haven't met expectations. No manager is going there in ignorance anymore, and they never have an issue getting someone new in - presumably because the job is a bit of a jackpot. If you do well then you do well and your reputation increases. If you don't then you're likely to get paid at least double what you've worked, if not more, and in future job interviews can point to Watford's high managerial turnover as a reasonable excuse as to why things didn't work out.

Better their way than hanging on to the likes of Mowbray for 5 years.

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Chaos again at Watford. They will never learn there.

Was Bilic doing such a poor job really?

During the period Sean Dyche was Burnley Manager, Watford had 13 different full time Managers and 3 different " Caretaker Managers ", one of which, Hayden Mullins, served twice.

Quite mad ...  

1 hour ago, Upside Down said:

Yes on this occasion I think he should have been given more time.

When he hasn't even been given a chance to get the side together the way he wants. It's a bit mad. At least they have ambition to get out of this division, unlike a certain club I can think of.

Which raises the question in my mind; "Which is better: i) owners who seem to have no plan, other than to keep sacking managers because those managers don't immediately get to, and keep, their team in the Promotion Zone; or ii) owners who seem - of late - to have no plan other than to let their team "pootle on" in the upper half of the table with no particular interest whether they succeed, or not."

Sorry; but I'm at a very loose end tonight!

I dont get how it is a "disgrace" or a case of not learning a lesson when a club has a high turnover of managers. There seems to be an unwritten rule to some that managers should have to stay for a certain period of time.

If Watford dont feel like they will get promoted as it stands or that they are progessing and getting the best from their talented squad, why not change in the hope of improving? Bilic will be well compensated so hardly a "disgrace." 

Having patience does not automatically lead to success, patience has to be earnt. We have often gone down the other route of going beyond patience. Watford have been more successful in the last 10 years with their ruthless side and Chelsea have regularly changed managers and look at their trophy cabinet.

The difference is Watford don't have "projects". They hire managers who live or die by their results. Sacking Bilic seems harsh but they evidently decided he wasn't going to cut it and Wilder would be better - so out he went

It's ruthless and some would say it's not right but that's the Watford model and you can't say it doesn't work. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, R0verb0y said:

Which raises the question in my mind; "Which is better: i) owners who seem to have no plan, other than to keep sacking managers because those managers don't immediately get to, and keep, their team in the Promotion Zone; or ii) owners who seem - of late - to have no plan other than to let their team "pootle on" in the upper half of the table with no particular interest whether they succeed, or not."

Sorry; but I'm at a very loose end tonight!

After five years of Mowbray, what do you think?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ItsRoverZ said:

Sheffield United score  1-0 against Reading, who look really poor btw, completely different side to the one that spanked us 3-0

Those no-show performances are already costing us. Hopefully we can keep the momentum going till the end of the season.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, ItsRoverZ said:

Sheffield United score  1-0 against Reading, who look really poor btw, completely different side to the one that spanked us 3-0

Sheffield United don't look like the team they were at the weekend too, they've been poor against a team that really can't be bothered.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DE. said:

Eh, you'd have to be pretty naive as a manager to go into the Watford job presuming you'll last much longer than six months if you haven't met expectations. No manager is going there in ignorance anymore, and they never have an issue getting someone new in - presumably because the job is a bit of a jackpot. If you do well then you do well and your reputation increases. If you don't then you're likely to get paid at least double what you've worked, if not more, and in future job interviews can point to Watford's high managerial turnover as a reasonable excuse as to why things didn't work out.

Better their way than hanging on to the likes of Mowbray for 5 years.

This.

It's not exactly a new way of working for watford, they've been doing this for years.

Has it worked at Watford?

Their best season in the past 10 years came under Javi Garcia - who was actually, miraculously, given a full season and a half.

He was then sacked and they got relegated

Since then I don't believe a single manager has lasted more than a full season and a yoyo affect has begun

If they don't go up this year it will be the final year of parachute payments having only spent 1 season in the PL last year, which means a fire sale of some supremely talented players