BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Jack Walker Anniversary

Jack Walker 1929–2000 - BRFCS.com

Good time to share these pictures from this website - demonstrates the strength of feeling towards him.

I remember the Norwich game afterwards, 'Time to Say Goodbye' with the accompanying video was unbelievably stirring and emotional. Will be joining in with a hearty rendition of 'One Jack Walker' tonight.

He will never be forgotten.

• Like 7

We called him Jack Walker

We called him the king of the land

On that bright summers day

On the 14th of May

Stood there with the cup in his hand. 

Miss you Uncle Jack. 

Edited by Neal
  • Like 8

5 hours ago, arbitro said:

It's 22 years today since Rovers greatest supporter passed away. He gave us probably the greatest day of our footballing lives and lots of other memories that will never leave us.

RIP Jack.

My Dad died the week before Uncle Jack - so always a poignant time for me. So many shared memories between the 3 of us!

• Like 6

• 11 months later...
  • Herbie6590 changed the title to Jack Walker Anniversary
2 minutes ago, oneandycrawford said:

Always a time to think for me. My Dad died 6 days before Jack and today is my birthday. Sharing the Walker years with my dad will always be one of my greatest joys. Travelled the country together during the lean years - with some great ups and downs. Standing on the Bee Hole End trying to look glum as we went 3-0 up against Burnley , the Coventry and Villa cup ties and Gigg Lane in 1980, watching Preston blow it for us vs Swansea in 81, FMC in 87, the Villa 3-2 with Archibald, the despair at Palace 89 and then the total joy at Wembley 92.

And that's just the Rovers stuff. He gave me a great appreciation of football (and sport in general) - European nights at City and Utd, Rossendale Utd through the massive ups and downs (glad he didn't get to see their demise!), when Rovers were (too far)  away we just picked what looked like the best game locally which meant some memorable games - a Bolton/Newcastle cup tie in the mid-70's is probably the best non-Rovers match I've seen live-  Lancashire cricket, Hornets rugby league, Belle Vue speedway.

To follow all that up with the 8 years of Jack was just brilliant. Just such a shame they both missed Cardiff in 2002!

Love to read this sort of stuff. Being born in 1992 I was spoilt growing up, so perhaps didn't appreciate it as much as I should. As I posted earlier in the thread, I'll never forget the tributes before the Norwich game in 2000. Barely a dry eye in the stadium. 

Your Dad sounds like a great man, as was Uncle Jack - the world was clearly a poorer place that week with their passing.

Oh - and a very happy birthday to you! 

• Like 5

Unbelievable to put his money where his mouth is.  Him and I think John Hall at Newcastle were local lads who put their money into their own boyhood clubs to make them great.

You'd never see that now.  You have to be bought by Saudi Arabia to be successful these days.  It doesn't exactly have the same romance does it?

Did Jack fall out with Kenny Dalglish at the end when Kenny announced his stepping down does anyone know?  We all know the lengths Walker made to keep Shearer including offering him the managers job.  From memory he didnt try to keep Kenny.

1 hour ago, smiller14 said:

Love to read this sort of stuff. Being born in 1992 I was spoilt growing up, so perhaps didn't appreciate it as much as I should. As I posted earlier in the thread, I'll never forget the tributes before the Norwich game in 2000. Barely a dry eye in the stadium. 

Your Dad sounds like a great man, as was Uncle Jack - the world was clearly a poorer place that week with their passing.

Oh - and a very happy birthday to you! 

Not so sure my mum always agreed about how great my dad was 😉 'We need tea at 4pm today as have to leave by 5 tonight' would sometimes be his parting shot at breakfast. Or 'can you make us some sandwiches for later' when we were off to football in the afternoon followed by speedway (or another match!) at night!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SuperBrfc said:

I don't think anything in English Football will ever beat the Uncle Jack and Rovers story. I've shared this previously on here, but think it's most fitting today and for this thread:

A diehard fan who saw his dream come true. He wanted his club to be the best. He took on the big guns and beat them. Something we will never forget and neither will they, as Rovers' cannot be erased from the Premier League winners list.

Uncle Jack did what almost every football fan would love to do for their club, if they had the resources to do so. This is what makes it more special.

No Saudi, Qatari or any other regime funded title win can match up to what we experienced. Putting the snide remarks from the bitter and jealous aside, there are neutrals who acknowledge how special our title win was. It wasn't some shady, foreign ownership with questionable motives putting money in, it was a real fan and that resonates with many.

I'll never forget how emotionally charged the atmosphere was at the Norwich game, pre kick off, as the tribute was being played on the big screen. I was a youngster at the time, but "time to say goodbye" still gets me even now.

The state of the club today, the low standards and the type of people holding senior positions would sadden Uncle Jack just as much as it saddens us.

He’d be very angry as well.

• Like 2

On 17/08/2023 at 16:59, SuperBrfc said:

I don't think anything in English Football will ever beat the Uncle Jack and Rovers story. I've shared this previously on here, but think it's most fitting today and for this thread:

A diehard fan who saw his dream come true. He wanted his club to be the best. He took on the big guns and beat them. Something we will never forget and neither will they, as Rovers' cannot be erased from the Premier League winners list.

Uncle Jack did what almost every football fan would love to do for their club, if they had the resources to do so. This is what makes it more special.

No Saudi, Qatari or any other regime funded title win can match up to what we experienced. Putting the snide remarks from the bitter and jealous aside, there are neutrals who acknowledge how special our title win was. It wasn't some shady, foreign ownership with questionable motives putting money in, it was a real fan and that resonates with many.

I'll never forget how emotionally charged the atmosphere was at the Norwich game, pre kick off, as the tribute was being played on the big screen. I was a youngster at the time, but "time to say goodbye" still gets me even now.

The state of the club today, the low standards and the type of people holding senior positions would sadden Uncle Jack just as much as it saddens us.

Perhaps this clip should be sent to Swag after his recent bollocks, no pressure on JDT to achieve promotion. This is Blackburn Rovers, you fucking clown, the greatest town team in English football 😡

• Like 1

Just now, Penwortham Blue said:

Perhaps this clip should be sent to Swag after his recent bollocks, no pressure on JDT to achieve promotion. This is Blackburn Rovers, you fucking clown, the greatest town team in English football 😡

How ambitious JDT would love to have  a Jack in tow, then we would be going places.