BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Joe Rankin-Costello

2 minutes ago, Groundhog said:

If you want your blood boiling even more, read this:

https://www.uptheclarets.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=69323

Entitled set of pricks.

Loved watching JRC last night. Gone up a few more notches in my estimation. 

Actually thought a lot off the comments were fair on that to be honest.

• Like 1

I reckon he's a bit handy on the quiet is JRC and it's a long time since we've had that type of guy in the team.  We could do with a few more but fair play to the lads dishing a bit out and up for a bit of afters.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, tomphil said:

I reckon he's a bit handy on the quiet is JRC and it's a long time since we've had that type of guy in the team.  We could do with a few more but fair play to the lads dishing a bit out and up for a bit of afters.

I want to forget last night but had to rewatch some of the game to see what JRC was up too in the first half as couldn't see from the BE side of the Walkersteel - love the guy even more, the bit from 20mins onward where he's getting stuck into Barnes and having a laugh at him, Barnes the self declared Mr Shithouse not being able to take it, brilliant to see. 

The two tackles he made to regain possession and lead an attack are what he's all about. He's got that extra something on top of being skilful. 

Edited by Groundhog
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, onlyoneDuff said:

Hands up I was one of the lad's biggest critics but I was dead wrong...has a bit of class about him and he's not afraid of a tackle..maybe even relishes them..wasn't having it  last night from the first minute to the last..long may it continue..

I'm similar, followed his progress through the academy and tbh given the amount of injuries he was getting didn't think he'd get a crack at the first team. When he did I was quite excited,  felt a bit underwhelmed but I did feel he was being played out of position and right back. Got injured came back and was just awful.  Thought that'd be that.  Absolutely over the moon with him. Well done Joe. Amazing what a consistent run of games can do for someone. He'd be one of my first names on the teamsheet now. What he lacks in pace he makes up for in guile, skill, intelligence and aggression. Like you said, he has a bit of a nasty streak, he's aggressive and comes across as winner. Need more with this attitude. Exemplifies the clubs moto 'Arte lebore' ..  I won't relax until they've sorted his contract out though.  Jooooooooe Raaaankin Coooosteeeeelloooooooooooo!

• Like 4

18 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

he was designated for going out on loan in january,either jdt is a genius man manager or joe thought he might end up at rochdale or somewhere ,massive transformation from the player i saw last season,he looked out of his depth

I really think it's mostly down to his being consistently and fully fit. Mowbray just used to wedge him in there as soon as he was available and he'd inevitably break down soon after. Can't have helped his confidence doing badly due to being unfit either. He'd been talked about for years before his breakthrough as a talent, think we're just seeing the real player now. Need him to stay fit though to keep seeing it, and if he ever looks to be flagging he should be rested.

• Like 4

• Backroom

When he first came back he could barely control the ball at times. The injuries must have really done a number on him. He's obviously buckled down and got himself back to where he should be, which has been great for us as it's not like our squad depth is strong enough to cope with a first team player losing form like that. 

Just need to be really careful with him going forward. He's clearly susceptible to picking up knocks, and his training and general fitness regime needs to take that into account. There may be times when we need to rotate him if there's any potential risk of injury flagged.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Great to hear, hopefully he gets a shiny new contract to complete what has been a remarkable turnaround. 

Regards him playing in midfield, I think we need to see more than just 45 mins in an end of season game but if he nails down a regular spot in centre midfield I'd consider making him captain. He's got that will to win and steely determination that not many of our players have. He's also more than capable of handing out a bollocking when required!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Contract talks have started and he wants to stay

Joe Rankin-Costello confirms Blackburn Rovers contract talks | Lancashire Telegraph

Top player. 

The big thing which is mentioned in this article is that he apparently has the option of an additional year as part of his current contract. A new long term deal should still be an immediate priority but its extremely comforting to know he effectively has 2 years remaining on his deal rather than 1.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mattyblue said:

Think the two merged threads have ended up with some missing posts… which saves the blushes of whoever the poster was a few weeks ago that said he shouldn’t be offered a new deal 😁

Name and shame (unless it was me 🙂 )

Edited by Sweaty Gussets

• Backroom

Assuming we stick with a midfield two, and JRC and Wharton are our main pairing, who's doing the defending in that scenario if JRC is being primed as a goal-scoring midfielder? Wharton is a class act passing the ball around at the back and indeed from the back, or anywhere on the pitch really but is he doing to be expected to fulfil the battling DM part of the role as well? 

If we change to a midfield three with someone behind those two then fair enough, but where does that leave Buckeroo as he's certainly not suited to that DM role either.

Edited by DE.