BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Joe Rankin-Costello

5 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Nah you keep him playing where he has been playing well. Brittain isn't going to be fully sharp even if he's fully fit, I'd bring him on off the bench to begin with and see how he does.

I’d be miffed if I was JRC and I got moved from a position were I was playing really well into a position I might not thrive. That’d be poor management in my eyes.

• Like 2

As others have alluded to, I think Brittain has to come back in. It looks to me that some of our problems stem from both left and right midfield having to double up at full back. JRC is an adequate 2nd choice but not fast or aware enough for a team looking towards top 6

He isn’t the first choice RB - Brittain is and, when fit, will start.

However JRC will be a useful squad player from now on and has the added bonus of being able to fill a few positions - a manager’s dream to have on the bench.

Will JRC like that? Probably not, but he was on of his way out of the club just a few short weeks ago.

Edited by Andy
  • Like 1

JDT has often dropped out of form players or made players work extremely hard to win the shirt back. Unless your name is Tyler Morton or BBD that is. 

He's created a culture in the squad whereby if you put in the graft you can force yourself into the first team picture. Dropping JRC would damage this. He simply deserves to be in the team. If Brittain comes back in it should be at left back for Pondering Pickering.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ben_the_beast said:

JDT has often dropped out of form players or made players work extremely hard to win the shirt back. Unless your name is Tyler Morton or BBD that is. 

He's created a culture in the squad whereby if you put in the graft you can force yourself into the first team picture. Dropping JRC would damage this. He simply deserves to be in the team. If Brittain comes back in it should be at left back for Pondering Pickering.

You play the best players in their correct positions. Professional players will understand that.

• Like 1

I know that he seemingly played in various positions with the kids, but I don't really see this versatile player at first team member. His purple patch has been built on concentration and defending well one on one, aside from the cup game v Birmingham he hasn't offered much going forward but he has been steady. He lacks the pace and skill to worry full backs and central midfield would be an all together different proposition at 100mph.

Id say with Brittain back the thinking will be how to get him, JRC, Thomas and Dack all into the same team as they look the form attacking players. Could go 442 .and drop Brereton with a classic little and little front line? Our striker options are so rubbish.

Kaminski

Brittain.     Carter   Wharton.  Pickering 

JRC.      Travis.    Buckley   Thomas

Dack        Dolan

37 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Id say with Brittain back the thinking will be how to get him, JRC, Thomas and Dack all into the same team as they look the form attacking players. Could go 442 .and drop Brereton with a classic little and little front line? Our striker options are so rubbish.

Kaminski

Dack        Dolan

We’d be severely lacking height defending corners.

• Like 1

On 10/02/2023 at 20:35, roversfan99 said:

His purple patch has been built on concentration and defending well one on one, aside from the cup game v Birmingham he hasn't offered much going forward but he has been steady.

It was wrong when you posted it, but even more wrong less than 24 hours later when he pirouetted in the box like Rudolf Nureyev and got an assist for Dack's goal. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

It was wrong when you posted it, but even more wrong less than 24 hours later when he pirouetted in the box like Rudolf Nureyev and got an assist for Dack's goal. 

My main point was more to credit him for his defensive work which has been really good and IMO more impressive than him going forward, aside from v Birmingham. I am not convinced that he would be a big threat as a winger and the adaptation to central midfield is a huge difference.

2 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

Kaminski

Dack        Dolan

Who's Thomas going to cross to?!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

My main point was more to credit him for his defensive work which has been really good and IMO more impressive than him going forward, aside from v Birmingham. I am not convinced that he would be a big threat as a winger and the adaptation to central midfield is a huge difference.

I actually think JRC's biggest asset is his ability when going forward. In an attacking sense he interprets space superbly. I'm not comparing the ability of the players but Thomas Muller has become a Bayern and Germany great, all without the ability to beat a man, having amazing technique or being particularly strong. He christened himself the space interpreter or something along those lines. I constantly see JRC making intelligent runs and popping up in places you don't expect him too.

I do agree with you though, that his improved defensive work and concentration has seen him become an important team player as previously he was a liability when we didn't have the ball. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Saw a post on the QPR thread re a new deal. He’s contacted until ‘at least June 2024’, so presumably there’s an option until 2025? 

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2021/june/Rankin-Costello-deal-done-/

Let’s get ahead of the curve with this one, ay GB!

If he's here until 2025 if we want him to be there's hardly any rush and why distract him now with contract negotiations when he should be focused on his football. Leave it until the end of the season.

1 minute ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

If he's here until 2025 if we want him to be there's hardly any rush and why distract him now with contract negotiations when he should be focused on his football. Leave it until the end of the season.

3 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Saw a post on the QPR thread re a new deal. He’s contacted until ‘at least June 2024’, so presumably there’s an option until 2025? 

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2021/june/Rankin-Costello-deal-done-/

Let’s get ahead of the curve with this one, ay GB!

No mention of a years option, where did you get that from ?

From the ‘at least’, maybe it’s we are just making out we want him to stay even longer, or it could be hinting at an option which seems to be the norm these days.

If he has an *option* until 2025, we’ve seen repeatedly that this ends up with the club lazily triggering it whilst resting on its laurels, a players stock rising and them buggering off for nowt. 

But if there is no option, so a next summer expiry, with GB now in situ I imagine a la Buckley (who earlier this season re-signed until 2027, even though he had two years left on his existing deal) negotiations will be underway already. It is now ‘the model’ after all…

Edited by Mattyblue

10 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

I think it is based on the statement that he is with the club until at least June 2024 which does imply that there is an option for longer.

No it doesn't. What it states is that he is signed on with us till June 2024, or until he signs another contract with us, when there will be a different end date.

6 minutes ago, rigger said:

No it doesn't. What it states is that he is signed on with us till June 2024, or until he signs another contract with us, when there will be a different end date.

No, the statement says the deal keeps him at the club "until at least June 2024" which could be interpreted to mean that there are provisions in the contract to keep him longer. Perhaps I have missed something but I can't see anything in the club's statement above that contradicts that as a possible interpretation.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

No, the statement says the deal keeps him at the club "until at least June 2024" which could be interpreted to mean that there are provisions in the contract to keep him longer. Perhaps I have missed something but I can't see anything in the club's statement above that contradicts that as a possible interpretation.

Interpretation is only in the mind. I will carry on believing that he is here till June 2024, or until another contract is signed.

Edited by rigger