BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Joe Rankin-Costello

Apologies if I’ve missed any recent discussion on this topic, but thought it warranted a thread.

Recent comments from the manager, sorry head coach, suggest JRC is pretty much done here. I have mixed feelings on this. It’s undeniable he hasn’t got near to realising that early potential yet, but I still think there is a player in there.

Where has it all gone wrong?

Obviously the injuries haven’t helped, but I strongly believe that being shoehorned in at right back has wrecked him.

• Like 2

If not right back then where would you play him?

I've seen left wing suggested as his best role coming up but then you look at his skillet and his performances when played in attacking roles before and sense there isn't enough ability to break defences down at this level or pace to hurt anyone.

Think he'd be a long way off dolan if he played there and he'd be long long long way off what Brereton offers there.

My best suggestion for him would be to find his position in league one. Making sure he goes somewhere where he is likely to get game time. I thought perhaps he could work as a  wide/attacking cm in 3.

• Like 1

I have never seen signs that there "is a player in there."

People often focus on his position but what attributes does he have to thrive in any position at this role? He is slow, he is technically pretty poor, not particularly good on the ball, not aggressive, not physically robust enough, I don't see what he has that makes people think he could be a good player.

Interesting how brutal Tomasson was in the press. I do agree that he shouldn't be in the team, but there was little to no scope for a return. I wonder how he and indeed his team mates have read it?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, windymiller7 said:

Anybody got a link to these comments from JDT, I don't recall seeing/hearing them? Thanks in advance.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/20901004.joe-rankin-costello-faces-difficult-task-blackburn-rovers/

Brutal is harsh, but pretty conclusive that he isn't in his plans.

(Which based on his ability is a good thing for Rovers)

• Like 2

Arguably, a victim of the move away from 4-4-2, as he, perhaps, could make it as a solid right mid (though, that would be a struggle in his current form). But wing-back, right back or winger aren't, apparently, his game. I believe, when he came through the youth set-up, he was a midfielder and impressed a lot in the reserves. He performed quite well when Mowbray put him in at times as a 'possession-based full-back" rather than Nyambe, but injuries have clearly set him back.

A loan move would be perfect to test his body and attitude and he could come back as a decent player, if things went right.

Edited by riverholmes

I'm not sad if JRC departs in the summer or sooner, in fact I'd welcome it.

I do think he would have become a better player than he has if it weren't for the injuries (including those before he broke into the team) and spending so much time wedged out of position at RB. But at this point it's academic because it looks very clear he'll never be up to this level now.

• Like 2

I don't think iv'e sen him in whatever his real position is supposed to be at first team level but beyond standing in for injuries the club have clearly had he earmarked as a RWB.

Every appearance there hasn't been because of knocks to someone else.

Reminds me a bit of the very early Wilcox for those he remember him then, plenty effort and willingness but just not physically up to it yet.  Then again could just be another Lowe in the making all effort but very little else yet the type of guy that goes down well on the training ground and with gaffers.

Either way a loan away and some regular games would be of more benefit to him than a squaddie here and i'm sure we could find something more suitable.

It could be JDT trying a different form of man management. I don't doubt that he meant what he said, but the need for it to be said so conclusively in the press, to me suggests it's designed to really highlight just how far away JRC is, to try and illicit a response. 

I think he's an intelligent player, his technique isn't bad either. What he does do is read the game very well in an attacking sense.

The thing which let's him down is his complete lack of physicality. Injuries haven't helped, however there's nothing to stop him from bulking up a bit when recovering from a hamstring injury. But he's never done it. Reading between the lines now, but I do think there's a bit of arrogance in his own ability. I remember him putting off signing a contract for a long time. So I think publicly telling him how far away he is, firmly puts the ball in his court. Its now or never. Put in the graft fitness wise and he could eventually have a future.

Edited by ben_the_beast

3 hours ago, Miller11 said:

Apologies if I’ve missed any recent discussion on this topic, but thought it warranted a thread.

Recent comments from the manager, sorry head coach, suggest JRC is pretty much done here. I have mixed feelings on this. It’s undeniable he hasn’t got near to realising that early potential yet, but I still think there is a player in there.

Where has it all gone wrong?

Obviously the injuries haven’t helped, but I strongly believe that being shoehorned in at right back has wrecked him.

I agree with most of what you have said here Miller11. His time here appears to be done and I surprised that his loan move didn't happen. JDT appears to be very open and honest about his future. 

He was something who stood out in the under 23's as wing back there, but It's not worked out here. Hope he can find a club in January and get his career started somewhere in league 1 or 2

• Like 1

I think it was 2 seasons ago when he started quite well and played the first couple of games in a more advanced position. He didn’t play as well as Dolan though and Tyrhys took his place. In typical Mowbray fashion, he got shoved in  at right back in place of Nyambe, never looking confident despite one of the games being Wycombe when we battered them 5-0. Lo and behold he got injured almost straight away.

On reflection this was the last time he showed promise. 2 years is a long time, and he’s 23 now so youth is no excuse. It looks as though his chance has gone here now. Needed a loan move to find his position, build his fitness and ultimately to prove himself.

Josh Morris had a similar experience at Rovers (but with more loans and appearances) and has gone on to have a decent career in the football league. JRC could go the same route but I worry for him that he will end up dropping out of the league if he’s considered a fullback.

• 4 months later...

A month ago the talk from JDT was that he was to be loaned out, so he was obviously in last chance saloon as a Championship level footballer - and he has taken that last chance with both hands.

Couple that with that most important of commodities in sport, confidence, and we’ve got a decent player on a hands (which is very helpful when we have a perma-injured right back and seemingly an inability to complete transfers).

• Like 1

On 07/09/2022 at 13:33, roversfan99 said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/20901004.joe-rankin-costello-faces-difficult-task-blackburn-rovers/

Brutal is harsh, but pretty conclusive that he isn't in his plans.

(Which based on his ability is a good thing for Rovers)

What he said was JRC had to work hard to get in his plans. He has obviously done that.

Your comments on his lack of ability earlier in the thread were wide of the mark even then. 

The Brum chance before their 2nd goal where the cross went to the back post and he was on the wrong side of his man, on his heels and far too slow to react offering a very easy opportunity, shows why he shouldn’t be considered as a full back. 
Wouldn’t be against giving him a run further forward though given our options are fairly bleak these days. 

Edited by superniko
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, superniko said:

The Brum chance before their 2nd goal where the cross went to the back post and he was on the wrong side of his man, on his heels and far too slow to react offering a very easy opportunity, shows why he shouldn’t be considered as a full back. 
Wouldn’t be against giving him a run further forward though given our options are fairly bleak these days. 

The header from Jutkiewicz that went over?  That was probably his only mistake all game, and Dolan was slow on the cover so a few glares went his way as well. 

37 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

The header from Jutkiewicz that went over?  That was probably his only mistake all game, and Dolan was slow on the cover so a few glares went his way as well. 

No, it was Jutkiewicz but it was a shot from the middle of the box and thankfully went straight at Kaminski. 90th minute or so. He had switched off. Dolan was around from memory. But you’re right there was also the header, perhaps a weakness in terms of positional sense from crosses (exactly why I don’t think he should be considered at RB for us)

Edited by superniko

2 hours ago, superniko said:

His positional play is his weakness at full back. As you say that was a guilt edged chance they missed and he was nowhere to be seen. Having said that he was our MOM without a doubt. He’s got to be better than Morton in midfield. Maybe when Brittain gets off the treatment table.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, alcd said:

Funny isn't it that JRC's form improves dramatically just when there's 18 months left on his contract? He played like a drain in the first 18 months. 

Injuries and being played out of position. As been said he has defensive flaws at fullback, but going forward Morton can’t lace his boots. When we have Brittain back push Joe forward and bench Morton - sorry can’t do that as we don’t want to spoil our special relationship with Liverpool.

• Like 2