BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

World Cup 2022

Lionel Messi. The best there is, the best there ever was, the best there will ever be. 

The complaints about the Argentines... they do what I'd love England to do. Absolute commitment and would kick their own granny just to get that extra 1% in a game. It's why they're winners and we are losers. Nice guys never win. I'm elated. They deserved this victory completely. And as for Messi. We've just witnessed history. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ben_the_beast said:

Lionel Messi. The best there is, the best there ever was, the best there will ever be. 

The complaints about the Argentines... they do what I'd love England to do. Absolute commitment and would kick their own granny just to get that extra 1% in a game. It's why they're winners and we are losers. Nice guys never win. I'm elated. They deserved this victory completely. And as for Messi. We've just witnessed history. 

They actually won because France were shit at penalties.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Gav said:

That trophy presentation was horrendous, I’d have thrown that cape at the sheik, covering up my national shirt. Messi ended up looking like James Brown the godfather of soul!

Just a quick reminder of who owns PSG, (Mbappe would have got the same treatment had the result been different) and Qatar gets to share in the victory (because that’s all they really care about).

• Backroom
2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

When you’ve got Messi you can afford to have 9 grafters in the team.

De Paul, Di Maria and Mac Allister in particular were miles away from 'grafters' tonight. 

I'm sorry, but it's massively disrespectful some of the comments in this thread. 

We get ourselves all hyped over Saka, Foden and Grealish etc (players I massively rate btw), who at the moment could only dream of performing like those 3 Argentinians tonight on the biggest stage of all.

Messi is an ATG, but that was not a one man team tonight. In fact, after the 1st half I thought he looked very leggy and drifted in and out the game, albeit it with touches of class here and there. 

• Like 5

On 17/12/2022 at 17:44, chaddyrovers said:

I haven't watched another game since England went out. Probably won't watched tomorrow Final either. 

You make a fair point there, as I can't argue with that. I can't say I watched the women's England team to be honest. Very little bits. 

We have nearly 10 years of England's foreign manager and I think we should always appoint an English manager as our national team manager. Leading nations should be picking the best coaches to lead their national team. 

You make fair points there But I can't comment on the Lioness with any degree of knowledge as I don't watch them much apart from a very little bits. 

Southgate's record in tournament football is the best we had since 1966. That surely can't be argue can it? 

So chaddy hope you enjoyed the final at the best world cup ever

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gav said:

That trophy presentation was horrendous, I’d have thrown that cape at the sheik, covering up my national shirt. Messi ended up looking like James Brown the godfather of soul!

But take nothing away from the football, the best final I’ve ever seen, doubt I’ll see better in my lifetime. 

Why? Take in the cukture soo much hate made him look a king

Not a lover of the French or the Argentinians, not a particular fan of Messi but I felt he deserved the win, being the only player ever to have scored in every round of the World Cup.

Don't like Mbappe all that much but fancy scoring a hat trick in a World Cup final - and losing 🤣

Edited by DeeCee

What a fantastic game of football. Argentina were as good as France were bad for 75 minutes, then all hell broke loose. Superb entertainment. 

I really enjoyed this World Cup. Plenty of good games, and although England didn't win it I felt they were the better team in the game they lost. Onward and upward.

Brazil, Italy, and Germany are the cream of world football. After today, Argentina are close to joining them.

Brazil and Argentina won their cups with stars. The other two rely on overall quality and great organisation. 

France look like they could join too. They certainly are based on the last 25 years. England's strong domestic league and global presence has always allowed the national team a reputation greater than results have shown.

I think that until England have a true world class player it will be more misses. In my lifetime England have produced good players. Rooney, Owen, and Gascoigne came close to being good enough to join the world class club. Biased me says that Shearer could have been without injuries.

Scholes, Lampard, Gerrard, Terry, Ferdinand, and the like were good club players who couldn't replicate their form for England. Alex Ferguson is to blame of some of it. His club was greater than country mentality pervaded those England teams, and as the players were all competing for titles and European glory they couldn't get along.  

Southgate deserves credit for breaking that down and making players proud to wear an England shirt. It no longer has the weight of chainmail.

• Like 4

A team of work horses carried by a work of god. Once the dust settles we’ll realise just how special this World Cup was from Messi and how it won’t be seen again. Every time he got the ball you expected something to happen, and he’s 35!!!!!! The best I’ve ever seen, and if someone matches his numbers, that sprinkling of magic, the ability to make other players better than they are, will never be seen again in a game where individuality is dying.

2 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

A team of work horses carried by a work of god. Once the dust settles we’ll realise just how special this World Cup was from Messi and how it won’t be seen again. Every time he got the ball you expected something to happen, and he’s 35!!!!!! The best I’ve ever seen, and if someone matches his numbers, that sprinkling of magic, the ability to make other players better than they are, will never be seen again in a game where individuality is dying.

You missed 86 then....

17 hours ago, roverandout said:

That's one area where France are very weak. No decent keeper.  I would have fancied pickford In this shootout over Lloris 

France have a superb keeper - Mike Maignan, AC Milan’s first choice keeper who is out injured. They were also missing their first choice left back Lucas Hernandez, Kante and Benzema. They’d have comfortably won it with those four. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, J*B said:

France have a superb keeper - Mike Maignan, AC Milan’s first choice keeper who is out injured. They were also missing their first choice left back Lucas Hernandez, Kante and Benzema. They’d have comfortably won it with those four. 

Lloris is their captain so would never be dropped. Kante has been poor / injured for some time now, whilst Benzema has never truly done anything with France. A big argument, certainly prior to the tournament, that they play better without him too (likes of Mbappe seem to flourish more as well).

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, J*B said:

Benzema a massive trouble maker in the French squad. Hence Deschamps opting to leave him at home for the final. Lucas Hernandez is also a better CB than LB much like Kounde. He was found out inside 90 seconds against Australia. 

3 hours ago, J*B said:

2 hours ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Lloris is their captain so would never be dropped. Kante has been poor / injured for some time now, whilst Benzema has never truly done anything with France. A big argument, certainly prior to the tournament, that they play better without him too (likes of Mbappe seem to flourish more as well).

Lloris played a blinder against England and was solid throughout the final. Although when it mattered Martinez was miles better. 

Don't forget Pogba. He usually plays extremely for France. 

However, I will say that as France are so strong their quality did not drop and I doubt those missing would have made much of a difference. They brought on Coman and Camavinga yesterday. They were both excellent.

5 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

Lloris played a blinder against England and was solid throughout the final. Although when it mattered Martinez was miles better. 

Don't forget Pogba. He usually plays extremely for France. 

However, I will say that as France are so strong their quality did not drop and I doubt those missing would have made much of a difference. They brought on Coman and Camavinga yesterday. They were both excellent.

And Nkunku, who’s just signed for Chelsea for 60M. 

On 18/12/2022 at 23:01, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

He was just what we lack. Somebody to knit it all together in the last third.

I think Foden is the closest we have had in recent memory to a top level No.10. Any other club than City, and he would always play central, I would guess, and thereby be England's main man.

Guardiola's embarrassment of riches has sidelined Foden as a support act, often, to likes of De Bruyne and Silva. 

You might say, but for City stockpiling, Kalvin Phillips and Grealish would be in better form, match fitness. If City sign Bellingham, you might see him start once every 3 games, at least initially.

The arrival of petrodollars and billionaires is going to damage England's chances, I suspect, with new recruits prioritised over regular football for young players.

Then again, with the Champions' League expanding yet further in 2024, international football might well be in decline, at least, for Europeans and European-based players.

Edited by riverholmes

9 hours ago, riverholmes said:

I think Foden is the closest we have had in recent memory to a top level No.10. Any other club than City, and he would always play central, I would guess, and thereby be England's main man.

Guardiola's embarrassment of riches has sidelined Foden as a support act, often, to likes of De Bruyne and Silva. 

You might say, but for City stockpiling, Kalvin Phillips and Grealish would be in better form, match fitness. If City sign Bellingham, you might see him start once every 3 games, at least initially.

The arrival of petrodollars and billionaires is going to damage England's chances, I suspect, with new recruits prioritised over regular football for young players.

Then again, with the Champions' League expanding yet further in 2024, international football might well be in decline, at least, for Europeans and European-based players.

If Foden were playing for say Brighton or Leicester he would be getting the valuable experience in the middle of the field and learning how to run the game. As it is he’s a bit part player at City. Same goes for Grealish and Phillips. From a player development point of view signing for City was a backward step.