BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer Window.

1 hour ago, SuperBrfc said:

I agree that both of them have a propensity to bullshit and waffle, so we can't take everything they say as being spot on.

However, I think they have at times put truths out there too which give an indication of what it's really like to work under these owners. Coyle says Hanley and Duffy were sold from under him and he was told he could only use one of their salaries to replace the two of them. I can fully believe that based on how these owners operate.

I think that possibly explains the Brown and Greer signings too. Both desperate signings, both coming to the end of their careers. I don't think their combined wages would have been all that high, as they were aged 35/36 and signed on 1 year deals I think. It's possible that one of those Duffy/Hanley salaries covered both Brown and Greer.

This is in no way a defence of Coyle, but the truth is he wasn't backed with the funds to make proper signings. Loans, frees and 200k on Derrick Williams is not backing. Just like the loans, frees and £500k on Markanday for Mowbray last January is not backing.

It could be said in Coyle's case, that it's just as well that he didn't receive a good budget, when we consider Stokes and the possibility of him picking out some right plodders to blow the money on. The point being made though is that the owners are the real problem and have form for making things difficult for their managers.

I think they just set the annual budget and whatever loose change is left can be used in Jan.

Getting extra is down to whims and whoever manages to get in the right ears at the right time. Think that has always been the case and yep it ultimately stops at them if they have any genuine ambition they need to show it.  I think we all know the answer to that one though, as well as the FFP stuff.

However what bits there is to use and the players how they'e used when they come are firmly down to those in the dugout. 

Put the two equations together as that's is why we are where we are.

9 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Ayala is 32 and he's out of contract in the summer (unless he signed a new deal at some point?)

Bringing in JPVH now and not offering Ayala a new deal would be good business I would think. 

And I rate Ayala highly to be honest, but at 33 and no stranger to the treatment table, he'll need replacing sooner rather than later. 

Someone will snap JPVH up, might as well be us!

I agree. We may not be crying out for a centre half right now but we could quite easily be in 6 months. Ayala is great but his lack of pace can be targeted JPVH would be an upgrade imo. Also whartons current form has been poor, I like him but I'm not sure he'll ever be better than 1st reserve (in a theoretical promotion side)

It's about finding value. Who's the jest player can we get for the least amount of money or as they are thinking who can we sell on in a few years for some decent money. 

Edited by BlackburnEnd75

8 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Ayala is 32 and he's out of contract in the summer (unless he signed a new deal at some point?)

Bringing in JPVH now and not offering Ayala a new deal would be good business I would think. 

And I rate Ayala highly to be honest, but at 33 and no stranger to the treatment table, he'll need replacing sooner rather than later. 

Someone will snap JPVH up, might as well be us!

It’s a good point 

I suppose I’m prioritising the here and now. If buying JVPH stops us getting the CM we are desperate for it’ll be a bad do 

34 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

We have Ayala, Hyam and Wharton

I suspect Ayala will be into his last six months with us.

Regarding Wharton, I'm going to be brutally honest. He's decent, but he is not reliable enough a defender for a promotion push. There are too many mistakes in him, and he doesn't make up for that enough in other areas of his game.

If there was one player from the previous regime that I'd kill for right now, it'd be JPVH. We can't rely on Ayala to be fit all the time, and we need to look to the future with a capable defender alongside the experienced Hyam.

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

It’s a good point 

I suppose I’m prioritising the here and now. If buying JVPH stops us getting the CM we are desperate for it’ll be a bad do 

But you know, it's a project 😎 

I don't rate Carter much, so getting JPVH for cheap(ish) before he's a free agent and has his pick, would be well worth it, even if it means short term pain. 

I agree though, we are desperate for a centre mid now.

4 minutes ago, tomphil said:

I'd give Ayala another 12 months if the terms are favourable and we are pursuing this kids policy.

I don't think he was far off leaving last summer if reports were true. I think that tells us that he probably isn't in the club's plans beyond this season. I think that will be the right call, too.

I think Broughton has eluded to the fact we might move for players in January who we would otherwise have targeted in the summer to avoid losing them or playing higher wages. He used the example of Hedges. I’d get JPVH in, loan out Carter to a bottom half Championship side or Phillips to League 1 for game time. Then bring them back in when Ayala leaves in the summer. No brainer. 

Does Van Hecke qualify for tribunal compensation if he leaves on a free? Would be one of the smartest signings in our recent history. Brighton would be smarter to ask for £0 and a sell on % then sell him for £1m. 

As others have said, Ayala has 6 months left at Rovers. At 33, he won't take a 1 year deal and no way we offer a multi year deal at his wage.

Van Hecke, Hyam, Wharton as starting options, with Phillips and Carter in reserve would be an immense central defense room.

Dare I say, this has Sunderland written all over it. 

As an aside, the transfer window for Premier League clubs is flabbergasteing. Chelsea paying £35m+ (on a contract to 2030) on a player I bet 99% of people on this board has never heard of. I certainly ain't.

Yet Chelsea (and the rest) still want CH, L1 and L2 teams to cover wages to loan their players - that would be the first rule of football I'd change. Every week you see a player subbing on in the EPL with a squad number in the 70's or 80's FFS.

Rule: If loaning to a domestic based team in a league below, parent club covers 100% of wages. End of discussion.

Edited by Angry_Pirate
  • Like 7

Yeah Ayala is one of the tops earners on about 18k a week I think? That's be more than double what van hecke is on at Brighton on his current deal. I forgot all about him until I saw the video of the Brighton squad welcoming macalister back. And I thought wow what a waste one appearance so far this season. Get him signed if possible. 

44 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

As an aside, the transfer window for Premier League clubs is flabbergasteing. Chelsea paying £35m+ (on a contract to 2030) on a player I bet 99% of people on this board has never heard of. I certainly ain't.

Yet Chelsea (and the rest) still want CH, L1 and L2 teams to cover wages to loan their players - that would be the first rule of football I'd change. Every week you see a player subbing on in the EPL with a squad number in the 70's or 80's FFS.

Rule: If loaning to a domestic based team in a league below, parent club covers 100% of wages. End of discussion.

It is becoming ridiculous but the league has no appetite to challenge the PL

Chelsea have a staggering 20 players out on loan this year; Man Utd 12; Man City 16; Liverpool had 16 last year, less this year

But this collection of players is again a demonstration of the disparity on wealth. They can afford to pay the wages regardless, some do only pay a certain % of wages, because the chances are they might get 3/4m for them down the line. Forest signed Neco Williams for £16m this season after his loan at Bournemouth

So the big clubs fund huge pools of youth talent, hoover up whoever has a chance of success, knowing that if only a few make it they can recover the costs. It's no risk to them at all really, because the millions will keep coming from the PL and Uefa

Meanwhile transfer prices go up at their behest - £16m for Neco Williams!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Dreams of 1995
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

I agree. We may not be crying out for a centre half right now but we could quite easily be in 6 months. Ayala is great but his lack of pace can be targeted JPVH would be an upgrade imo. Also whartons current form has been poor, I like him but I'm not sure he'll ever be better than 1st reserve (in a theoretical promotion side)

It's about finding value. Who's the jest player can we get for the least amount of money or as they are thinking who can we sell on in a few years for some decent money. 

Ayala is also our top earner. Not only is JpvH an upgrade but there would some savings in terms of Salary moving forwards offsetting some of the initial cost. It's a no brainer if he's available. 

It would require some flex from Brighton but I'd look at being a tad creative. A six month loan with an obligation to buy, just prior to his Brighton contract expiring. Gives us the ability to bring in others this window. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deanives said:

Has anyone watched the class of 92? 

Gary Neville commented that we had stumped up money upfront for Brandon Thomas Asante in the summer. 

In hindsight it would have been good if we had continued to pursue that when WBA has supposidly got him for 300k. 

I watched that and commented in another thread about it. He’s scored 5 in 16 for WBA I think or had a week or so ago

2 hours ago, goozburger said:

I don't think he was far off leaving last summer if reports were true. I think that tells us that he probably isn't in the club's plans beyond this season. I think that will be the right call, too.

Don’t think anything was that close, he’s after a new contract, just bought a house in chatburn not so long ago!

10 minutes ago, Tugayisgod said:

Probably best for all parties. I'm sure there's a player there which is much, much better than what he's shown so far, but how can we justify giving him the run of games that he probably needs based on his performances so far?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, goozburger said:

Regarding Wharton, I'm going to be brutally honest. He's decent, but he is not reliable enough a defender for a promotion push. There are too many mistakes in him, and he doesn't make up for that enough in other areas of his game.

That's only really true of recent Wharton. Just out of form as far as I'm concerned, until it goes on for a lot longer.

• Like 7