BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer Window.

25 minutes ago, Bohinen1983 said:

Wish GB had come out sooner to clarify what was happening.  He's a breath of fresh air.  Despite the massive disappointment of this transfer window, I'm glad he's at our club and feel like with him involved we MAY be moving in the right direction.

14 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Why does GB generate such enthusiasm with certain posters? He's been an unmitigated disaster since he joined the Club.

(Sure someone will mention "Hyam" in a minute but even Owen Coyle managed to unearth and sign Charlie Mulgrew. And we managed to get the paperwork for that done correctly and in time.)

However that's done.

I’m in the too early to tell camp.

Some promising signs but some concerning ones as well

38 minutes ago, Hi Mack said:

I’ve also been told today by an ex employee that this isn’t the first time this has happened. In fact this has happened twice before……😐

What has happened before? Failing to sign a player because we bungled the paperwork? Maybe just on deals that we never heard about, but I'm sure it's never been out in public before. If we have form for it, we have zero chance in that appeal. And if the same person who botched it previously is still here, that's unforgiveable. The EFL staff have managed to read our forms properly and check for mistakes, and they're doing it for a lot more deals than we are.

3 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

I know, such a bad comment…. This transfer window he has failed big style, he knows that.

I wouldn’t say tying down numerous key youngster to long contracts as a “disaster”

Who exactly has he tied down? Phillips can be the only one that may have been tough. All the others were formalities. Half of them will be squad players at Best.

Broughton has done nothing but talk a good game since he come. He’s not utilised our foreign scouting network and not one signing has had any imagination about it.

22 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Why does GB generate such enthusiasm with certain posters? He's been an unmitigated disaster since he joined the Club.

(Sure someone will mention "Hyam" in a minute but even Owen Coyle managed to unearth and sign Charlie Mulgrew. And we managed to get the paperwork for that done correctly and in time.)

However that's done.

If I take away all of your successes you'd be deemed a failure too. Sure he signed this really good Championship CB, but ignore that because it doesn't fit my narrative(!)

The permanent signings have been very good and he managed to lock down both a very promising manager (we floundered for 5 weeks without a manager in the summer before Broughton arrived) and 3 highly rated Academy graduates (who had the PL sharks circling) to long-term deals. He's come here to cut his teeth as a Director of Football - he was never going to hit a home run from day 1. 

Edited by Exiled_Rover
  • Like 4

It's frightening how much people seem to take at face value anything they read without stopping to work out if it's likely to be true.

There are a number of problems with what Nixon says.

1) Is he claiming the EFL wanted to know what would happen if we were relegated from the Championship this season? That seems unlikely in the extreme as a clause requiring us to pay £10m in the event of promotion is not triggered by relegation. Or does he mean if we were promoted then relegated again?

2) Either way: if this is true, no matter how trivial the request seemed, why could we not have just answered it before the deadline anyway? Especially if as claimed elsewhere there was "a 27 minute delay caused by a moot point?" Did they just sit around for 26 minutes going "That's a bloody silly point, I don't think I'll bother answering it".

3) His claim that one deal failed because an agent's name had an "e" missing and/or a box was left unchecked would seem to directly contradict the Club's official statement that the problem was a document was unsigned. As incompetent as the Club are you'd assume they would know the reason why the Registration was rejected in the first place.

• Like 3

Just now, bluebruce said:

What has happened before? Failing to sign a player because we bungled the paperwork? Maybe just on deals that we never heard about, but I'm sure it's never been out in public before. If we have form for it, we have zero chance in that appeal. And if the same person who botched it previously is still here, that's unforgiveable. The EFL staff have managed to read our forms properly and check for mistakes, and they're doing it for a lot more deals than we are.

Apparently it has happened in 2 consecutive windows in the past and was never leaked. It has to have been over 2 years ago.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Amid all this West Brom are 1-0 against Coventry and we're now down to 7th

And their supporters are protesting during the game against a guy named Lai. Probably one of the owners. 

"lights on for Lai to go" 

Mobile phone torches turned on at specific minutes of the game. 

1 minute ago, Hi Mack said:

Who exactly has he tied down? Phillips can be the only one that may have been tough. All the others were formalities. Half of them will be squad players at Best.

Broughton has done nothing but talk a good game since he come. He’s not utilised our foreign scouting network and not one signing has had any imagination about it.

The transfer side is a portion of what he does, not all he does.

He’s the head of the footballing operations at the club; the recruitment of the lad from the Welsh FA was one example of a positive step, in terms of player development.

The transfer windows have been disappointing; the one just gone moreso than any in recent memory. Nobody is disputing that.

But to focus in on GB - and the work he’s doing to try and progress and improve our club - instead of the deep rooted weeds like Pasha, Waggott and Sylvester is baffling.

To try and make out like he’s been an unmitigated disaster at this stage, even moreso.

• Like 6

what seems to have been forgotten in all the **** ups this week is the fact that over two seasons we have let players with the collective value of 25/30 million leave for nothing,we now have no saleable assets player wise,dack will be off after his final years contract,he`s coming up to 30 and will require one last big pay packet,he is`nt going to get that here

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mike E said:

Can't explain why this got hidden, as it wasn't at our end (we can always see which mod -or the member themselves- hides a post).

Yours simply said 'Hidden'.

Any suggestions @J*B @StubbsUK?

It's not hidden as far as I can see?

If you're still having issues @RoversClitheroedrop a message in the "Ask a Question" section.

2 hours ago, ben_the_beast said:

Wow. Just, wow. If this is true then I agree that we need to be more careful and diligent with our paperwork. But how petty is this? The EFL aren't fit to govern. If paperwork is sent back for a reason plucked out of thin air. Surely if there is clarification needed on these sorts of things then the initial timestamp of the submitted paperwork should be honoured. 

I have to agree, shit show by the EFL

3 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

If it was a very good one, yes.

Mbape?

How about Blackburn Rovers 2023? Are we one striker away from promotion with our means? 

Edited by Gav

7 minutes ago, Hi Mack said:

Adam Wharton and Jake Batty.

Newcastle United and Leeds United both wanted Batty.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Andy said:

The transfer side is a portion of what he does, not all he does.

He’s the head of the footballing operations at the club; the recruitment of the lad from the Welsh FA was one example of a positive step, in terms of player development.

The transfer windows have been disappointing; the one just gone moreso than any in recent memory. Nobody is disputing that.

But to focus in on GB - and the work he’s doing to try and progress and improve our club - instead of the deep rooted weeds like Pasha, Waggott and Sylvester is baffling.

To try and make out like he’s been an unmitigated disaster at this stage, even moreso.

To be fair I’m basing it on a chance encounter after the PNE game and the pure arrogance he showed towards a group of us. 

I think he promises a lot but delivers very little. He talks well but he has a hell of a lot to prove before he changes my mind.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

It's frightening how much people seem to take at face value anything they read without stopping to work out if it's likely to be true.

There are a number of problems with what Nixon says.

1) Is he claiming the EFL wanted to know what would happen if we were relegated from the Championship this season? That seems unlikely in the extreme as a clause requiring us to pay £10m in the event of promotion is not triggered by relegation. Or does he mean if we were promoted then relegated again?

2) Either way: if this is true, no matter how trivial the request seemed, why could we not have just answered it before the deadline anyway? Especially if as claimed elsewhere there was "a 27 minute delay caused by a moot point?" Did they just sit around for 26 minutes going "That's a bloody silly point, I don't think I'll bother answering it".

3) His claim that one deal failed because an agent's name had an "e" missing and/or a box was left unchecked would seem to directly contradict the Club's official statement that the problem was a document was unsigned. As incompetent as the Club are you'd assume they would know the reason why the Registration was rejected in the first place.

Even if what he’s reported is true, and I’ve no idea if it is - this and us making a complete mess of things are not mutually exclusive.

I also think it’s always useful to ask ‘why are they telling me this?’ and ‘what have they not told me?

In this case - given Broughton has said that there were both external and internal factors, why have only the ones I presume they consider to be external been leaked?

Edited by wilsdenrover
Added final paragraph

I have listened to Rovers TV interview with Gregg Broughton tonight and He took full responsibility for the 2 failed transfers on transfer deadline and the failure to secure a number 9 striker. I thought he was honest, blunt and straight to the point. I don't any of the blame for what appears to be administrative errors is the fault of him personally. Also said Rovers would look at the internal side so why it failed in these circumstances. He also explained the problem with the 2 strikers deals we had agreed before the circumstances changed on the other club point of view. Something he can't be blame for but a striker should have been signed during the Transfer window. I would expect to a very different approach in the summer from him and JDT with signings and I would expect us to do our business early doors

I am pleased that Gregg Broughton did come out today and take full responsibility for it and saying he is control of the football side of the club. 

I also feel gutted for JDT who wanted to strengthen his team for the final 18 games and secure at least a playoff place. I also agreed with his comments that the Rovers players and him need the fans to be behind the team for the run in and on Monday night against Wigan. 

I also feel gutted for both players who wanted to come here and still do. I hope that our appeal for the Lewis O'Brien works and we can sign him. The Ethan Brierley transfer will happen in the summer anyway. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

His statement of "i was there at the medical, is devious, to plant a seed he was in the thick of it. Truth is he may have been at the medical but chose to go and watch the match.

Gregg Broughton gave a full account of how the O'Brien transfer came about on Rovers TV with him coming for his medical in the Afternoon in Manchester which GB met him and his agent there. He said he left Manchester at 9.20 pm to go back to Brockhall whilst they were doing the paperwork, TV interviews with Rovers etc. 

36 minutes ago, Butty said:

Has anyone seen @chaddyrovers

Blimey Butty, I was working last night so I have been sleeping majority of the day. I didn't realised you were missing me so much Butty. 

4 minutes ago, Hi Mack said:

To be fair I’m basing it on a chance encounter after the PNE game and the pure arrogance he showed towards a group of us. 

I think he promises a lot but delivers very little. He talks well but he has a hell of a lot to prove before he changes my mind.

I’ve seen either yourself or another member mention this before and I find that really disappointing.

I imagined he’d be pretty decent and approachable to fans, all things considered.

That this wasn’t the case is disappointing.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Andy said:

I’m genuinely interested in how you’d classify the first, what, 6 months of GB’s tenure at the club as an ‘unmitigated disaster’…?

Failed to secure Nyambe after he arrived

Seemingly has  failed to secure BBD as well.

Failed to bring in a (decent) striker in 2 windows

Hirst main target in summer

Mola /Morton poor

Szmodics massively overpriced and even worse.

Brittain has turned out to be a crock.

Goes on about pathways for our youth then signs Morton on loan which keeps Adam Wharton out of the side and chases and fails to land a CB who would have further pushed Phillips down the pecking order. When neither can get many first team minutes anyway.

Disastrous January window, scratching about at the last minute resulting ultimately in us being embroiled in a hugely embarrassing failure to get either of 2 deals over the line on deadline day. Knock on effects for the players concerned and parent Clubs. Never happened before prior to his arrival.

If you don't think all that's a disaster, I'd love a job working for you!

• Like 4