BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JRC contract?

7 hours ago, 1864roverite said:

Nyambe did not get a pay rise NOR a signing on fee as his deal was 12 months without any clauses!

Yes exactly! That's how it turned out for him in the end!!!

But his initial reasoning for not signing a new contract with us when it was still on the table was because he thought he could do better (and earn more) elsewhere. 

(and that situation should be used as an example for all young players when they start getting ideas put into their heads by their parasetic advisors) 

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo

6 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Unfortunately as rational as all that is, players are often badly advised and make bad footballing decisions due to their ‘representatives’ who obviously purely want a bigger slice of a bigger pie, wherever that is.

It will be greggs if he thinks he’s to big for rovers

If memory serves me correctly JRC held out a long time before signing his last contract. 

He's bang in form. I'd say he is showing what he was always capable of, but injuries always curtailed his progression. Part of his value on the pitch are who he is, in his determination and his intelligence. He's good technically, but not superb. His real value is his reading of the game, not directly in relation to his own position but the game as a whole.

What I'm saying is he's smart and I'm sure he is enjoying playing football. He's also smart enough to see his value and brave enough to back himself. Any contract is a negotiation, so those two qualities of intelligence and bravery come into play here. I think he'll sign a new contract. But he's holding out for what he sees as his perceived worth. Broughton will see that and they'll find a deal they are both happy with. It's just not as straightforward as someone who is willing to jump at the increase regardless of other factors. Fair play to him. I love him as a player and even though it makes negotiations more difficult those are the characteristics I like to see. Hopefully we'll reward him with what he's worth and he'll repay us with his winning mentality.

• Like 3

Personally, wouldn't be giving him a new deal.

Might be controversial but I've seen enough of him the last few years to suggest this upturn is a flash in the pan rather than any real improvement in his abilities. He isn't nimble enough to be a winger, gets caught defensively at right back, and has NEVER played centre midfield and would be a fish out of water. 

Wouldn't moan at him getting a new one, but I'd hope a team who's supposed to be serious about promotion next season wouldn't hang their hats on him.

3 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

Might be controversial but I've seen enough of him the last few years to suggest this upturn is a flash in the pan rather than any real improvement in his abilities. He isn't nimble enough to be a winger, gets caught defensively at right back, and has NEVER played centre midfield and would be a fish out of water. 

Wouldn't moan at him getting a new one, but I'd hope a team who's supposed to be serious about promotion next season wouldn't hang their hats on him.

He's never had a consistent run in the team, free from injury. Now he has and he's a revelation. 

Comparison's with the past are fairly pointless. Hopefully he now stays injury-free and keeps progressing. His ability has never been in doubt. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

Have you seen the rest of our squad? He's certainly in the top half, currently.

55 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

Think this is a little short sighted. Talking to non-Rovers supporting friends of mine he was the one player in our academy who they knew of & had a burgeoning reputation at that level. He starred for the U23sby all accounts, & had a decent impact into the first team before then suffering numerous injuries.

He certainly looked off the pace on his return to fitness until Christmas, but he is showing his ability now & is one I can see having a v bright future here or elsewhere & realising his potential, once a clear role has been identified for him.

Rather it be here then elsewhere I think.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

Think this is a little short sighted. Talking to non-Rovers supporting friends of mine he was the one player in our academy who they knew of & had a burgeoning reputation at that level. He starred for the U23sby all accounts, & had a decent impact into the first team before then suffering numerous injuries.

He certainly looked off the pace on his return to fitness until Christmas, but he is showing his ability now & is one I can see having a v bright future here or elsewhere & realising his potential, once a clear role has been identified for him.

Rather it be here then elsewhere I think.

A lot of my friends know of Rankin-Costello too. But that's in the main because he was a sensation on a Football Manager.

Think it was FM16.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mellor Rover said:

Most of what you, and the rest of us, had seen of him in that time was a player who was unfit and clearly off the pace, who was often wedged into the team when he very obviously shouldn't have been. He kept breaking down as a result and never got to show us his best.

Now, he's managed to get fit and keep going for an extended result, and the result has been he's been our best player for much of the last 4 months. That's not really flash in the pan stuff. He might not always maintain that form, there's never a guarantee of that with any player beyond maybe the very best in the world, but the question mark is no longer over his ability. It's whether he can stay injury-free most of the time going forward. That's why we shouldn't be held to ransom on his new contract, but he absolutely should be offered one.

You're right though that he's not particularly fast, now he's fully fit he has about average pace, like most of our squad. But determination, technique and game intelligence can make up for that. I don't necessarily see him as a RB long term, although it's good he can play there as our other RB is a tad injury prone too. I believe central midfield is a position he has played in youth football, might even be where he started, but someone more knowledgeable may correct me. If he had a free roaming role like he does at the mo from RB, I don't see an issue. It would just be what he already does, but with less defensive onus. He's intelligent enough with the ball to make an impact there, in a 3 man midfield.

And nobody is saying everything hangs on him.

• 2 weeks later...

Came across this post from 2022! Won't divulge the poster, it was a commonly held view at the time. 

Point of my post is to say that a season in football is a long time and best to err on the side of caution.

"JRC when fit isn't remotely in Nyambe's class imo. I'm astounded anyone thinks he is."
  • Like 1