BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Adam Wharton

18 minutes ago, Fraserkirky said:

Wharton and Phillips are in the same boat I think. These two guys are the future staples of the team. They were suppose to be squad players this year, to be brought in slowly. Phillips played a bit earlier and Wharton has played a bit later. I expect them both to be first names on the team sheet next year and believe that’s the plan. 
Now if a 25m bid came in the summer for Wharton that might be tough too say no too, too many assets have left on a free in the past two years.

For me, the best scenario would be for us to sign an experienced centre back, let Ayala go and loan out Phillips.

We need a bit of experience and Phillips seems a prime candidate for a loan. Rather than play here and there, he could go to League 1 and prove himself physically. He has had issues with cramp in most starts so it would allow him to try and develop the ability to last a full 90 minutes regularly.

44 minutes ago, Fraserkirky said:

Wharton and Phillips are in the same boat I think. These two guys are the future staples of the team. They were suppose to be squad players this year, to be brought in slowly. Phillips played a bit earlier and Wharton has played a bit later. I expect them both to be first names on the team sheet next year and believe that’s the plan. 
Now if a 25m bid came in the summer for Wharton that might be tough too say no too, too many assets have left on a free in the past two years.

Phillips could do with a L-1 loan in my view, but given another three to four months might be ready. Wharton is more than ready now. Exciting times, hopefully Leonard can step up too.

• Like 2

Think a few on here are going a bit overboard with just how good he looked and has looked this season.

He looks a very good prospect, but he's got a long way to go and if other players put in a similar performance they'd be criticised for aspects. Take that through ball that he missed to Hedges last night, had Morton misplayed that pass we'd have 100 posters on here talking about it.

Hopefully he can cement his position in the team and he's a player to look forward to, but reading this you'd think he was putting in a 10/10 every match. 

11 times he has played half or more. Stoke as sub, think he won man of the match after just a half. Blackpool, we all know. Boro away, was excellent and key to victory. Birmingham, scored the winner. Hull, created the winner. And against Huddersfield, Coventry, Preston and Burnley, as good as anyone in a Rovers shirt.

That leaves Bristol City and Coventry, both times he struggled somewhat. 

• Like 2

Who thinks he’s 10 out of 10 every time?

Sounds like you were looking for a pass that went astray in order to post said comment.

He will give it away from time to time because he takes risks and is always looking to get on the ball and play forward, that comes with the territory with such players. Morton takes far fewer risks and still gives the ball away on a regular basis.

He’s 18 and if you can’t get excited about a Rovers fan already controlling a Championship midfield you might as well give up.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Who thinks he’s 10 out of 10 every time?

Sounds like you were looking for a pass that went astray in order to post said comment.

He will give it away from time to time because he takes risks and is always looking to get on the ball and play forward, that comes with the territory with such players. Morton takes far fewer risks and still gives the ball away on a regular basis.

He’s 18 and if you can’t get excited about a Rovers fan already controlling a Championship midfield you might as well give up.

Looking for a pass that went astray? It's a pass that stood out to me in real time (not rewatched the match or the highlights).

I think 'controlling the midfield' is too strong of a statement. He had a good match and he's an exciting prospect, but the way people talk on here you'd think that development is an unrelenting upward curve and that the only way players improve is through the 90 minutes spent on the pitch.

I just grow tired of the endless highs and lows of this messageboard. Wharton is currently the 'it' player who can do no wrong, his time to be critcised by the blinkered masses awaits.

More importantly, many that are so 'excited' by his potential appear more excited by the prospect of his development being an opportunity to criticise JDT and the coaching staff. It boggles the mind. 

Yes looking for it, you’ve used one stray pass as a basis of a post to knock him down a peg or two, and yet you are accusing others of going overboard?

Yes, he controlled the midfield last night, not for the first time either.

(Oh and if football message boards make you ‘despair’ due to their bipolar nature you best stop visiting them!)

Edited by Mattyblue

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Yes you’ve used one stray pass as a basis of a post to knock him down a peg or two, and yet you are accusing others of going overboard?

Yes, he controlled the midfield last night, not for the first time either.

I'm not knocking him down a peg or two. Do you think he's reading this? 

I'm pointing out that if another player (namely Morton) had misplaced a similar pass then that is all that would be in his match report on here. So, no, I'm not using it to be critical of Wharton (who I think had a very good match), but rather to point out some inconsistencies in how people assess performances. 

12 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I just grow tired of the endless highs and lows of this messageboard. Wharton is currently the 'it' player who can do no wrong, his time to be critcised by the blinkered masses awaits.

More importantly, many that are so 'excited' by his potential appear more excited by the prospect of his development being an opportunity to criticise JDT and the coaching staff. It boggles the mind. 

Where? Please show me these ‘many’ posts that show people are ‘more excited’ about criticising JDT than the prospect of his potential development. 

Edited by Hasta

Morton wouldn’t get grief from one stray pass if he was running the show like Wharton was, why would he? Morton gets grief because he lacks bravery on the ball, shirks challenges and gives it away on a regular basis.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, Mattyblue said:

Morton wouldn’t get grief from one stray pass if he was running the show like Wharton was, why would he? Morton gets grief because he lacks bravery on the ball, shirks challenged and gives it away constantly.

I'm beginning to remember why I stopped posting on here. I'll see you all in 5/6 years.

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Did he struggle quite a bit after Blackpool? He did in the following game against Bristol City as did the whole team. Then his next 3 starts were Boro away when he played well, Birmingham at home when he scored the winner and then another excellent performance at Hull where his assist was brilliant. We then played Coventry and he vanished after that.

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Did he struggle quite a bit after Blackpool? He did in the following game against Bristol City as did the whole team. Then his next 3 starts were Boro away when he played well, Birmingham at home when he scored the winner and then another excellent performance at Hull where his assist was brilliant. We then played Coventry and he vanished after that.

Can't remember to be honest i just recall him struggling in a game and being a bit anonymous then he disappeared.

Poss the WHam cup game ?  

7 hours ago, Groundhog said:

However I'm getting a bit fed up of these comments from "fans" saying JDT has frozen him out, and "if we had played Wharton all season we'd be up" - that is utter post-event hindsight bullshit. He played really well at Blackpool, then had a tough few games after that, it was too soon to play him week-in week-out and it would have done him no good at all. He's incredible, but he's only 18, he tires easily (for now), and gets targeted. Those same armchair fans I imagine would be criticising JDT for over playing him if it was the other way round.

The reason we're seeing the Adam Wharton we see now is down to the lad himself and JDT's man management. It's all about next season, and always was. Work on his upper body strength a bit, phase him in and slowly build a team around him, get him some support.

This, this and then this again for those at the back.

I've been saying for months that the whole 'fallout' thing was bollocks - it wasn't an educated guess; I knew that it was blatantly made up. And now Adam's come out and said as much himself, in last week's interview with one of the local rags.

Yes, we'd have all liked to have seen more of AW this season, but he's a much better overall player now than he was; and that's down to how JDT has developed him. His long term development is more important than burning him out this season.

He's doing similar stuff with Ash Phillips now and he'll be a huge player for us next season (or maybe the one after).

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Andy said:

Yes, we'd have all liked to have seen more of AW this season, but he's a much better overall player now than he was; and that's down to how JDT has developed him. His long term development is more important than burning him out this season.

How do we know that’s down to how JDT has developed him? He was outstanding in most of his games pre World Cup. He then didn’t play till April and has come back playing equally as well.  

No one is saying he should have played every week and been burned out. But in some games he surely would have been beneficial to have come on for 45 minutes here and there, especially as we all generally agree that Morton has had to play far more football this season than he was probably expected to. 

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 4

Maybe he was ready a while back but expecting a rather slight 18-yr-old to have bossed the midfield twice a week every week is OTT. Plus he’s played the last 3 and we amassed two points so we clearly have bigger issues on winning promotion than how often he’s played.

Next season I expect him to be first name on the sheet.

Edited by Exiled in Toronto Mk2
  • Like 7

29 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto Mk2 said:

Maybe he was ready a while back but expecting a rather slight 18-yr-old to have bossed the midfield twice a week every week is OTT. Plus he’s played the last 3 and we amassed two points so we clearly have bigger issues on winning promotion than how often he’s played.

Next season I expect him to be first name on the sheet.

Who has said they expected him to boss the midfield twice a week, every week?

I doubt anyone said he could - or said he would. 

• Like 2