BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Adam Wharton

3 hours ago, toogs said:

“I thought it was an equal game”. Hmmm

Question I would have asked….

”Jon, we seem to have an inability to get back into games if we go a goal down. Your style is clearly to play around at the back to invite teams on to us, thus creating space and chances. However, once we go a goal down, continuing to do that doesn’t work because the opposition have no incentive to come at us anymore. Why do you persist with the same tactics when we go a goal down when the stats are proof it has never worked?”

I meant his message about AW having to do more work off the ball.

I agree with your point though. Good article in the LT today about the lack of response when we go behind. We don't seem to have a clue what to do when we concede firts. JDT has started blaming it on our finishing recently, saying we are making the chances but not converting them. I can't comment on yesterday as I wasn't there, but what was that the case i.e. missed chances?

• Like 1

Just now, Sweaty Gussets said:

I agree with your point though. Good article in the LT today about the lack of response when we go behind. We don't seem to have a clue what to do when we concede firts. JDT has started blaming it on our finishing recently, saying we are making the chances but not converting them. I can't comment on yesterday as I wasn't there, but what was that the case i.e. missed chances?

We didn't really create anything 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, rigger said:

I would like to see a central midfield three of Garrett, Adam Wharton and Travis. 

Pears

JRC.            Carter.             Hyam.              Pickering

Garrett.          Travis       A. Wharton

Thomas.                                                                 Brereton

Gallagher 

How about this system? (I know some of the names are not ideal!)

5 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

Pears

Thomas.                                                                 Brereton

Gallagher 

Like I’ve said a thousand times - what do we do in training ? That’s the place to try these ideas out. As far as I’m concerned we’ve been light in midfield most of the time. If we can’t have quality in there we need quantity.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Like I’ve said a thousand times - what do we do in training ? That’s the place to try these ideas out. As far as I’m concerned we’ve been light in midfield most of the time. If we can’t have quality in there we need quantity.

I’m going to take that as a ‘I’ve seen worse ideas’ 😁

2 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

I’m going to take that as a ‘I’ve seen worse ideas’ 😁

It’s as good as any. From what I’ve read about yesterday though if the players aren’t motivated and in the wrong frame of mind if doesn’t matter how we line up

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Yeah sorry I thought I was in the match thread. 

Yesterday as soon as they scored and for the 10 mins after it was just all so predictable and you knew where the game was going.  The keeper had a couple of saves to make towards the end which if we had a decent finisher maybe would have scored. Norwich were miles better though. 

Adam W when he came showed more forward vision in his Cameo than Morton has all season. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

It’s as good as any. From what I’ve read about yesterday though if the players aren’t motivated and in the wrong frame of mind if doesn’t matter how we line up

It’s obviously a doss at Rovers. When we have a “ free hit “ like Leicester away we can play. When the pressure is on like yesterday we just don’t fancy it. Nothing will change - business as usual - nothing to see here.

• Like 1

Just now, wilsdenrover said:

Me too

Probably with Wharton further advanced than Garrett and Travis when in possession and dropping back to ‘join them’ when we’re not.

Hedges or Thomas out wide right and Brererton out wide left is a luxury we can’t afford when we are getting over run in central midfield.

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Hedges or Thomas out wide right and Brererton out wide left is a luxury we can’t afford when we are getting over run in central midfield.

I considered putting Dolan in one of the wide positions but I was more considering the formation and didn’t want to have to think too hard!

38 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

Pears

Gallagher 

Probably Travis would be on the right of the three with Garrett holding. I think taking Szmodics also a big call... 

The reason we are getting overrun in midfield isn't really about the players imo, its more the tactics. We are prioritizing putting a lot of players in the channels. Travis spends as much time on the right wing as in the middle. Same with Szmodics on the left. The idea being to combine and overwhelm the opposing full back. It's worked well up until the last two games but as always I think the opposition have figured it out. We're leaving big gaps in the middle with Morton left on his own so the opposition will now just play straight balls through where the space is. 

We need to adjust something (dropping Morton for one thing as he seems so vulnerable to losing the ball in dangerous positions) but I am not sure taking Szmodics out playing another CM is the right thing. Maybe dropping Gallagher, moving BBD centrally and playing Szmodics on the left could work.

Edited by joey_big_nose

6 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Probably Travis would be on the right of the three with Garrett holding. I think taking Szmodics also a big call... 

The reason we are getting overrun in midfield isn't really about the players imo, its more the tactics. We are prioritizing putting a lot of players in the channels. Travis spends as much time on the right wing as in the middle. Same with Szmodics on the left. The idea being to combine and overwhelm the opposing full back. It's worked well up until the last two games but as always I think the opposition have figured it out. We're leaving big gaps in the middle with Morton left on his own so the opposition will now just play straight balls through where the space is. 

We need to adjust something (dropping Morton for one thing as he seems so vulnerable to losing the ball in dangerous positions) but I am not sure taking Szmodics out playing another CM is the right thing. Maybe dropping Gallagher, moving BBD centrally and playing Szmodics on the left could work.

Like I said (although you might have been typing as I was!) I was focusing more on the formation.

I did try to keep Szmodics in but wasn’t sure if he can play out wide  (I’m yet to return to watching in person)

I considered Brereton for CF but, from what I’ve read on here, I wasn’t sure about that either.

Edited by wilsdenrover
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, J*B said:

Are you from Blackburn out of interest? It’s a very small place, I’m 32 and I’d say I know most 25-35 year olds in my local area. That’s not unusual, it’s pretty much the case with everyone. I got my haircut next to Brereton last week in Clitheroe. I bumped into S. Wharton walking my dog in Barrow this week. I was sat with the first team coaches at the Bull in Langho last weekend. I played 5 a side with one of the physios on Monday. 

Josh, Thanks for sharing what you know and it was very understanding that you bumped into these people and have conservations with them

14 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Yeah I am. Even if I bumped into one of the first team players though, which has never happened, I suspect that they wouldn't openly tell me about the discipline of other players.

Why are not acceptable what Josh has said? what reasons has he got to lie to us? 

11 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

No, I had a similar opinion. Not worth getting wound up over and micro analysing. May aswell be reading from a script, just typical cliches and trying to dampen expectations.

I didn't doubt that he has run into them. More that why would they discuss team mates to such a degree to people they don't know much if at all which highlights various examples of unprofessionalism?

Josh lives in the Ribble Valley and given that number of players and club staff lives within that area he will see them and speak to them. I sometimes spend time at different food outlets in that area(mainly pre covid) and he will plenty of them out and about. 

People asked question and players will give honest answers to Rovers fans and people. 

11 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Reminds me a bit of when Paul Mani was saying that Rothwell's dad was telling everyone on the train that Mowbray had a move lined up last summer and was trying to tap up all of our out of contract players with quadrupled wages or whatever it was.

Paul was open and honest to post that conservation. 

2 hours ago, Neilbristol said:

Question for Monday. Will Adam start?

Yes he should

31 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

Pears

Gallagher 

why are dropping Szmodics when he was the best player on the pitch yesterday? 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

I’m not dropping anyone, I’m not the manager, I’m having a discussion on a discussion board.

and your team you picked you dropped Szmodics who was our best player yesterday. He worked hard, plenty of effort and passion from him and made some good runs. 

44 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

The reason we are getting overrun in midfield isn't really about the players imo, its more the tactics. We are prioritizing putting a lot of players in the channels. Travis spends as much time on the right wing as in the middle.

I think it is about the players in there.  I watched Morton closely for about 10 minutes yesterday.  He hides, points to where people should play it but not to him.....he takes up positions where he's not really available, he never dummies and comes short quickly and sharply.  The central defenders never have a CM available because nether him or Travis want the ball.  Shithouses both of them.

Meanwhile over at Deepdale we missed out on the best in the league at that job.

• Like 4

Just now, wilsdenrover said:

Where would you play him in the formation I suggested?

I wouldn't play that formation. I would play 4-2-3-1 formation which suits our squad and players. 

Its the formation that the problem but the players playing a quick tempo and having plenty of movements which they didn't for large periods of the game yesterday

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

I wouldn't play that formation. I would play 4-2-3-1 formation which suits our squad and players. 

Its the formation that the problem but the players playing a quick tempo and having plenty of movements which they didn't for large periods of the game yesterday

It’s like talking to a politician… (or my other half 😁)

IF that formation was used, where would you play Szmodics?

Wide left, wide right, centre midfield, upfront??

if centre mid - which of the three i suggested would you not include?

2 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

It’s like talking to a politician… (or my other half 😁)

IF that formation was used, where would you play Szmodics?

Wide left, wide right, centre midfield, upfront??

if centre mid - which of the three i suggested would you not include?

I would say centre midfield with Travis and either Wharton or Garrett.