BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Adam Wharton

19 hours ago, arbitro said:

The no favourites comment comes from a close relation to a player who, believe me had cause to be critical of the club. He said Tomasson wasn't close to any players but they all respected him because they know where they stand and he is honest with them all. As I wrote earlier I saw Adam in the under 21's recently and he was miles off the first team in my opinion. At the moment Garrett is ahead of Adam and if O'Brien had signed he would have been further down the list. The only way he is going to get back in is to follow the example of Travis and knuckle down,, listen and put into practice what the manager wants and let his undoubted talent do the rest.

I will bow to your more recent knowledge.

So the only possible reason for Morton's continued inclusion is that there is absolutely no one else ready.

Thanks Broughton.

I will throw myself a party at season end to celebrate our promotion and Morton's exit.

2 hours ago, Displaced Rover said:

JDT and the team. You've got to set standards. If he's not training well, what does it say to the team if he gets thrown in? "Don't bother working hard lads, I'll pick you anyway"

Yet Morton gets picked and then underachieves, how are the team benefiting from that. If the mantra is the team is No1, then JDT and Wharton have got to get together and sort out the problem, for the good of the team.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, rigger said:

The problem is not why Wharton is being left out, but why is Morton still being picked.

Because the club fucked up the O'Brien transfer, Buckley is injured, Edun is really poor and the manager thinks Garrett isn't ready to play every match.

But yes I agree, for much of the time with Morton on the pitch it's like we're at least one man down.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, only2garners said:

You have seen it on occasion but if you have been watching regularly you will have seen the reverse too.

What I've seen is Wharton being a consistently better player than Morton.

• Like 5

Adam was certainly very poor in the first half at West Ham and was rightly replaced by Garrett at half time. There's at least one other performance I've seen at Ewood when he was off the pace, but I can't remember which game. Then we have arbitro saying he was nowhere near the right level in a recent under 21 game.

I think this as much a player who is not playing seemingly getting better by comparison with people on the pitch. I've seen it time and time again with Rovers fans and it is probably the same with all fans. It's compounded in Adam's case because he's a local lad and Rovers fan.

• Like 9

18 hours ago, rigger said:

Also, how long does Whartons punishment continue for ?

I don't think he is being punished. Show what is needed and he'll be in the team. I'm sure he's had it outlined what he needs to do. I think JDT would be a great manager in any walk of life. A clear communicator who knows his craft and gives you a road map of what is required from you in order to achieve success. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

He said Tomasson wasn't close to any players but they all respected him because they know where they stand and he is honest with them all. As I wrote earlier I saw Adam in the under 21's

I think this is spot on. This sounds exactly how JDT comes across in interviews and judging by how pears and JRC were due to be loaned, didn't, worked hard and have cemented their place in starting 11 suggests that like Travis, if Wharton does get on with it in training he may have an opportunity. Hopefully we will see him playing again soon

3 hours ago, only2garners said:

Adam was certainly very poor in the first half at West Ham and was rightly replaced by Garrett at half time. There's at least one other performance I've seen at Ewood when he was off the pace, but I can't remember which game. Then we have arbitro saying he was nowhere near the right level in a recent under 21 game.

I think this as much a player who is not playing seemingly getting better by comparison with people on the pitch. I've seen it time and time again with Rovers fans and it is probably the same with all fans. It's compounded in Adam's case because he's a local lad and Rovers fan.

Or ya know, people have seen Wharton and Morton play and Wharton has been far better on average. But no, let's chalk it off to some psychological phenomenon you think you've seen.

I'm not saying this with retrospect and I doubt many are - plenty of us couldn't understand it at the time. Maybe try just accepting that some people rate Wharton a lot higher than you seem to.

• Like 5

He's doing the right thing if Wharton has a poor training attitude/approach as talent is only one part of success. Creating the right mentality is critical to ensuring a player's potential is fulfilled so hats off to JDT, well done.

Provided that the approach is warranted.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, only2garners said:

Nothing to do with being a Rovers fan. He's just light years better than morton or any of our midfielders.  He also affects games better than any of them in the final third 

• Like 1

There's clearly two sides to the argument here. I'm firmly on the side that Wharton needs to prove himself in training to get into the team. I think the people on the otherside, who are advocating for him to be thrown back because he's so much better than Morton are missing something. I'd love for him to be starting more than anything. Because I do think he is the more talented player. 

I just think he has to prove that day in, day out for it to happen.

Overall JDT has been incredibly fair with giving players chances - from Travis to JRC to Carter to Szmodics to Dack to Pears etc etc - everyones got a fair crack, and when youre in you get a few games to show whether you can hold onto your place.

I sincerely doubt hes picking on Adam Wharton.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ben_the_beast said:

There's clearly two sides to the argument here. I'm firmly on the side that Wharton needs to prove himself in training to get into the team. I think the people on the otherside, who are advocating for him to be thrown back because he's so much better than Morton are missing something. I'd love for him to be starting more than anything. Because I do think he is the more talented player. 

Do you want promotion? Logic suggests the player who has been better on the pitch when we play him is more likely to help us win promotion than the bloke who routinely costs us games and is generally ineffective when not costing us games. I don't give a hairy fuck about the principles of training such and such a way if it costs us points at this critical stage, which I believe it is.

It sounds like Morton is better in training, and Wharton is better in matches. The choice seems obvious to me, so no, I don't think it's this 'side' that is missing something.

If he plays and doesn't do better than Morton, there'd be a discussion to be had.

• Like 1

So is it now an accepted fact that Wharton A is bone idle and disinterested at training and this is why he was left out and continues to be?

I ask because I have no idea what goes on at training. I'm just a supporter who thought we had a real talent on out hands at one point in the season and now it seems we don't.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ben_the_beast said:

Agree with this. He's 18, I think we should trust JDT that he has the player's (and the club's) best interests at heart. I'm confident A Wharton will be a big player's for us in the future. We just need to be patient and try not to expect too much, too soon.

• Like 2

Adam made such a splash when he first came into the side, he will have been watched and analysed by all PL clubs but also every Championship opposition.

Sounds like even under 21s have a game plan against him.

Adam is not the only brilliant precocious youngster in any field to find the transition from boy wonder difficult.

I am disappointed he hasn't made a midfield slot his own and put his name first on the teams heat but if the current coaching and support team at Rovers can't set him.up for a fabulous career then he probably isn't capable of making it as a pro footballer.

He could be destined to playing Harry Redknap's effusive praise and predictions after Blackpool away on continuous loop when he is 90 and bitterly wondering what might have been.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, philipl said:

Adam made such a splash when he first came into the side, he will have been watched and analysed by all PL clubs but also every Championship opposition.

Sounds like even under 21s have a game plan against him.

Adam is not the only brilliant precocious youngster in any field to find the transition from boy wonder difficult.

I am disappointed he hasn't made a midfield slot his own and put his name first on the teams heat but if the current coaching and support team at Rovers can't set him.up for a fabulous career then he probably isn't capable of making it as a pro footballer.

He could be destined to playing Harry Redknap's effusive praise and predictions after Blackpool away on continuous loop when he is 90 and bitterly wondering what might have been.

WoW, so much bollocks in one biased post.

Well done that man.

FFS that is a beaut.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Or ya know, people have seen Wharton and Morton play and Wharton has been far better on average. But no, let's chalk it off to some psychological phenomenon you think you've seen.

I'm not saying this with retrospect and I doubt many are - plenty of us couldn't understand it at the time. Maybe try just accepting that some people rate Wharton a lot higher than you seem to.

I have no idea whatsoever on Adam's psychological status and I'm pretty sure you don't either.

Adam is right at the beginning of what I hope will be a stellar career for Rovers. So far he has played 10 games for the first team, 6 at Championship level. He had one stunning opening performance at Blackpool followed immediately by a disappointing part game at home to Bristol City - it looked at that game like he had spent the few days in between reading the press reports. Or it could well have been that his young body wasn't up to two games in a week. He had another couple of excellent games in the following weeks but as I pointed out there were also more poor performances.

Since then, for whatever reason, he has rarely even appeared on the bench for the first team, so something's wrong somewhere. I haven't seen him play enough to definitely be sure that he's going to make it long term. It appears that there are plenty of others who, based on similar evidence, are sure. I hope you're all right but asked to choose between the judgement of a few folk on the internet or Rovers professional coaching staff, I'm going with the latter.

I imagine its long been the case that gifted players are lazier in training.  Those less gifted naturally have to work harder to impress.

I can't imagine Tugay was ever a great trainer..

or Gazza, Maradonna, Ibrahimovic etc.

Still be the first name on the team sheet though.

Either build a team aroun a talent or move the talent on if you want a team of grafters.