BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Adam Wharton

1 hour ago, Trinidad Rover said:

‘Adam Wharton’s Champions League level’ – meet England’s next midfielder

Wonderful to see how well Adam is doing. Delighted for him.

Such a shame this wasn't with Rovers and I'm not sure we will see such a talent again for a long long time.

Him going was inevitable but I think he was sold cheap. Odds on us not having a sell on clause....?

Seen somewhere that we do have a sell-on clause---10-15%. Think out was Nixon.

Posted (edited)

Opening paragraph of today’s Times article on him:

‘When was the last time that a player made the step up from Championship to Premier League with quite the same poise as Adam Wharton?

England’s second tier has been fertile ground for a plethora of top-flight stars in recent years, of course, but it is hard to recall anyone who has taken to life among the elite as swiftly as the 20-year-old Crystal Palace midfielder. His £18 million transfer fee from Blackburn Rovers, which could potentially rise to £22 million, already looks like an absolute snip.’

But yeah we couldn’t possibly have hoped for any more dosh for a Championship player according to some of the sages on here 

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

‘When was the last time that a player made the step up from Championship to Premier League with quite the same poise as Adam Wharton?

England’s second tier has been fertile ground for a plethora of top-flight stars in recent years, of course, but it is hard to recall anyone who has taken to life among the elite as swiftly as the 20-year-old Crystal Palace midfielder. His £18 million transfer fee from Blackburn Rovers, which could potentially rise to £22 million, already looks like an absolute snip.’

But yeah we couldn’t possibly have hoped for any more dosh for a Championship player according to some of the sages on here 

We could have got a little more for him but until tested at premier league level there is a ceiling and nobody is being stupid suggesting that.

Apart from Bellingham who had a way bigger reputation than Wharton what other teenager has been sold for more money?

The fact Is most of us on here knew he was an incredible talent but he hadnt even been called up to an England under 21 squad whilst with us ...it took a move to the premier league for him to even get that 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

We didn’t have to sell him from a player point of view. We could have asked for whatever sum we felt like asking. 

• Like 4

You'd like to think that we negotiated an additional fee for 'wins first England cap'.

But then again, this is current-day Rovers we're talking about...

9 minutes ago, Andy said:

You'd like to think that we negotiated an additional fee for 'wins first England cap'.

That will surely  be one of the add ons to take the deal closer to 22 million

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Andy said:

He’d have to play a game in the Euro’s for Rovers to get any money right now.

We are due to pay Peterborough £200k when Sammie makes a competitive international appearance. I reckon it will be the same for Wharton, if he plays in the friendlies before the Euro’s we’d get nothing.

16 hours ago, Andy said:

We don't have crucial first team players leaving for free any more - so I think we've probably negotiated decent add-ons.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Polky said:

He’d have to play a game in the Euro’s for Rovers to get any money right now.

We are due to pay Peterborough £200k when Sammie makes a competitive international appearance. I reckon it will be the same for Wharton, if he plays in the friendlies before the Euro’s we’d get nothing.

I've never heard of a cap clause specifying it had to be in a 'competitive' game.

34 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I've never heard of a cap clause specifying it had to be in a 'competitive' game.

It’s not something I’d heard of until listening to the Peterborough chairman on his podcast. He said they earned nothing from Sammie’s two appearances for Ireland as they were friendlies. They’ll be due £200k when he makes his an appearance in a competitive game, such as the nations league.

2 hours ago, Polky said:

They’ll be due £200k when he makes his an appearance in a competitive game, such as the nations league.

How are we going to find a sum of that magnitude?

On 09/05/2024 at 20:03, islander200 said:

That will surely  be one of the add ons to take the deal closer to 22 million

That is still a ludicrously low fee!!! 

We don't know for certain how desperate the owners were to sell to keep the lights on. If there was no pressure in that respect then we got absolutely shafted on the price.

26 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

That is still a ludicrously low fee!!! 

We don't know for certain how desperate the owners were to sell to keep the lights on. If there was no pressure in that respect then we got absolutely shafted on the price.

Clearly very desperate as they are the only ones powerful enough to force the sale.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Clearly very desperate as they are the only ones powerful enough to force the sale.

Unless Broughton advised them to take £18m and they went along with it.

20 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Yeah, thats the more likely scenario.

They probably wouldnt have refused to spend 2m on a signing with the proceeds had it not been an owner driven financial decision.

You see this is the problem Rev. I’ve stepped back from the ‘but who’s the actual problem?’ question to you, because I know it annoys you, I’m not a troll, you know.

But even now (!) you are trying to paint the disgrace of what went on - you know, the owners not putting money into their business because they are under investigation for financial impropriety- ergo the crown jewel being flogged for peanuts just to keep the leccy on, and that is *still* because they are being badly advised.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mattyblue said:

You see this is the problem Rev. I’ve stepped back from the ‘but who’s the actual problem?’ question to you, because I know it annoys you, I’m not a troll, you know.

But even now (!) you are trying to paint the disgrace of what went on - you know, the owners not putting money into their business because they are under investigation for financial impropriety- ergo the crown jewel being flogged for peanuts just to keep the leccy on, and that is *still* because they are being badly advised.

Some people believe whatever the club tell them.🙄

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Moptop1 said:

Some people believe whatever the club tell them.🙄

Let’s wait to hear this years excuse as to why not to invest any money in the playing squad, clean the ground up, generally not invest in Rovers.

They must have a list and put every reason into a hat and pick a couple for each season.

And this season we can not put any money into Blackburn Rovers because…  (insert your answer here)🙄

Edited by Moptop1
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Moptop1 said:

Let’s wait to hear this years excuse as to why not to invest any money in the playing squad, clean the ground up, generally not invest in Rovers.

They must have a list and put every reason into a hat and pick a couple for each season.

And this season we can not put any money into Blackburn Rovers because…  (insert your answer here)🙄

Probably back to complete radio silence

• Like 2

• Moderation Lead
12 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

You can admit that things are the fault of the owners and not literally everyone else that they employ, you know.

• Like 1