BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Adam Wharton

4 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

They’re untouchable and they know it. A real government would have tackled these type of football club owners years ago  but they don’t give a bollocks either.

Too true Tyrone.No BRFC supporter trust/Group can even engage in conversation with these people purporting to owning our Club.

We have asked for years what do they get from mismanaging Rovers?,this Season has maybe answered that to an extent...we are to be a feeder Club through our Academy,when it suits them to sell and when the money is right.

Its NOT what the suffering fans of this Club want as it stinks of a lack of ambition and progress.

To my mind, Adam Wharton is blossoming because, for the first time in his life, he’s playing with lads who are as good in their positions as he is in his.

I’m not convinced he would have developed any further at all had he stayed with us, especially after JDT left. No matter how many sublime passes you play to Gallagher, he isn’t going to control any of them, and Eustace binning passing out from the back would have greatly reduced the number of touches he got in a game. If there was going to be an auction for him, I can’t see why it didn’t happen in January. 

He isn’t typical of the kind of player our academy produces, nor should he be as players of his ilk will never stay long enough in the first team to make any meaningful difference. I’m wondering how good Harry Leonard is given he’ll be playing without Adam’s passes for the first time in his life.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto Mk2 said:

I’m wondering how good Harry Leonard is given he’ll be playing without Adam’s passes for the first time in his life.

Better than Gally I’m willing to bet 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto Mk2 said:

To my mind, Adam Wharton is blossoming because, for the first time in his life, he’s playing with lads who are as good in their positions as he is in his.

I’m not convinced he would have developed any further at all had he stayed with us, especially after JDT left. No matter how many sublime passes you play to Gallagher, he isn’t going to control any of them, and Eustace binning passing out from the back would have greatly reduced the number of touches he got in a game. If there was going to be an auction for him, I can’t see why it didn’t happen in January. 

He isn’t typical of the kind of player our academy produces, nor should he be as players of his ilk will never stay long enough in the first team to make any meaningful difference. I’m wondering how good Harry Leonard is given he’ll be playing without Adam’s passes for the first time in his life.

I agree. It's a great move for his personal development. In terms of a 'stepping stone' move (not to be dismissive of Palace) he's also landed on a team with the pace, athleticism, and movement around him to make the most of that vision and passing.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rover_in_the_South said:

In the world of backwards and sideways passing that is modern football a player that can actually pick out forward passes is worth their weight in gold. No doubt we’ll get a handful of magic beans when Palace sell him on to a big club.

• Like 2

I’ve seen him a few times for Palace and don’t even think he’s playing his absolute best football. He’s playing as 1 of 2 which isn’t hid position and some of his teammates wouldn’t look out of place in the Championship. I’m still surprised that a bigger club than Palace didn’t come in for him, though I’m sure it won’t be long until they do now, he’ll shine even more playing with better players in a system that suits him.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

I’ve seen him a few times for Palace and don’t even think he’s playing his absolute best football. He’s playing as 1 of 2 which isn’t hid position and some of his teammates wouldn’t look out of place in the Championship. I’m still surprised that a bigger club than Palace didn’t come in for him, though I’m sure it won’t be long until they do now, he’ll shine even more playing with better players in a system that suits him.

He'll be a star for England playing alongside players like rice and Bellingham 

3 hours ago, roverandout said:

He'll be a star for England playing alongside players like rice and Bellingham 

It will be an interesting battle between Wharton and Mannoo to get the third midfield birth alongside those two. They are both just the sorts of player to compliment Rice and Bellingham as well. What's impressive about England's midfield is not only is there a lot of quality already there and coming through, but different types of player who play in very different ways.

Also hats off to Wharton I thought physically it would take him a while to get up to speed in the Prem, but he's already dictating games. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Manioo because he plays for, err, Man U… that’s as far as an England manager analysis would go.

True, but Wharton won't be at Palace long. Will depend where he ends up.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Manioo because he plays for, err, Man U… that’s as far as an England manager analysis would go.

Well, he is also significantly more experience at a higher level when it comes to selecting a young player for a major tournament. He's got more Premier League experience and a couple of England caps already.

9 hours ago, Eddie said:

Well, he is also significantly more experience at a higher level when it comes to selecting a young player for a major tournament. He's got more Premier League experience and a couple of England caps already.

21 appearances vs Adam’s 13, I’m not sure that’s a big enough difference to be a factor.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 01/05/2024 at 09:33, RV Blue said:

I've watched him a few times too, to be honest it says everything about our season that often I've been more excited to see how he's got on. At first I couldn't bear it, like seeing your ex with someone else, but I just love watching the lad play.

He's been played really deep compared to the role he was allowed to have at Rovers. It's almost like they've told him not to pass the half way line at times. 

I think he's been playing better and better each week, he seems to be running games from in front of his own back 4, and doing all the dirty work, he's also not afraid of a tackle and really works hard to win the ball back if he ever loses it. He may not have had many assists or action in and around the box, but it's usually his pass that sets the move going. The games against Newcastle and Fulham he started having more shots and was around the box more. The only issue I see is he seems to fade late on, and has been caught out being slow to track back a few times, but to be honest who hasn't.

Edited by Groundhog
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Groundhog said:

I've watched him a few times too, to be honest it says everything about our season that often I've been more excited to see how he's got on. At first I couldn't bear it, like seeing your ex with someone else, but I just love watching the lad play.

Do you go around your ex's to see how they play then? 😂

3 hours ago, wilsdenrover said:

21 appearances vs Adam’s 13, I’m not sure that’s a big enough difference to be a factor.

It's a pretty sizeable difference when it is such a limited sample size. Not to mention, as bad as United's season has been, it also involves him playing in some 'bigger' matches than Wharton has ever got close to. Plus, there are the two England caps.

Wharton will likely get his chance at some point in the next 12-18 months, especially in the post-major tournament shakeup that's likely to include a new manager and a few of the older heads in his position stepping aside (Henderson, for example), but you would be throwing him in at the deep end to include him at this stage. 

39 minutes ago, Eddie said:

It's a pretty sizeable difference when it is such a limited sample size. Not to mention, as bad as United's season has been, it also involves him playing in some 'bigger' matches than Wharton has ever got close to. Plus, there are the two England caps.

Wharton will likely get his chance at some point in the next 12-18 months, especially in the post-major tournament shakeup that's likely to include a new manager and a few of the older heads in his position stepping aside (Henderson, for example), but you would be throwing him in at the deep end to include him at this stage. 

He does prosper when challenged. His debut for us, MoTM and I think the same for his first Palace start too. Granted international tournament football is another level again, but he could thrive as equally as he could flounder.