BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Adam Wharton

10 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Yeah...I am older, but I can trace a line of transfer bereavement..

Newton, Field, Jones, Barker, Shearer, Dunn, Duff, Wharton...

Vernon, Pickering---both to Everton where our best managers seemed to end up as well. Mike England to Spurs.

We really are a feeder club.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Wharton definitely looks very comfortable at that level, but he is something of the flavour of the month and a lot of the praise is a bit overboard. Even yesterday, he played well, but he wasn't that involved and really should have been part of a Palace side that lost by 5.

Agree 100%...the hype is well over the top.

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194

He was excellent at Anfield yesterday, the lad is well at home already just out of his teens - but all that matters to us is 1) was it a good price? 2) Will any of the amount we did actually get be spent on the side?

And we all know the answer to both.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

But none of those big clubs could spend money due to FFP in the Premier League 

Your support of every Rovers' decision is incredulous.

Wharton DID NOT ask for a transfer.

We did not need to sell him.

Another player relatively 'given away'.

If he was still a Rover, we would not still be worrying about relegation.

IMO, our club is a complete shit show from top to bottom and the sooner you see the light the better.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 6

58 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Wharton definitely looks very comfortable at that level, but he is something of the flavour of the month and a lot of the praise is a bit overboard. Even yesterday, he played well, but he wasn't that involved and really should have been part of a Palace side that lost by 5.

I wish we had kept him for a bit longer - although I think Wharton and his agent had more to do with that move than they are given credit for - but he still has a long way to go in his development until he is the player this thread would make him seem like.

Let's also not forget, much like the Duff kissing the Chelsea badge, Wharton has become incredibly active on social media with a lot of 'up the Palace' stuff.

But, he didn't want to leave, right?

I seem to remember you didn’t rate him when he came into Rovers side in the Championship. Well, here he is playing every game for Palace  and impressing almost everyone, central midfield, in the PL, at the age of 20.  Not many do that Eddie.

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, Hasta said:

Todays Guardian

Screenshot 2024-04-15 at 12.57.11.png

Adam Wharton, perhaps the brightest of the hugely promising generation brought through by Tony Mowbray at Blackburn.

Not sure how much praise Mowbray deserves for this one. 

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

TM pretty much ran the place, so Academy boss too, obviously.

Both Wharton's were part of the academy well before Mowbray became manager in 2017

https://www.cpfc.co.uk/news/club/everything-you-need-to-know-about-adam-wharton-crystal-palace-player/

Methinks the Guardian has got Scott mixed up with Adam as Mowbray had much more to do with bringing Scott through to the first team (and sending him out on several loans)

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, 47er said:

Vernon, Pickering---both to Everton where our best managers seemed to end up as well. Mike England to Spurs.

We really are a feeder club.

Kevin Hird, John Bailey, Colin Hendry - the list goes on and on. But at least we got a season or two out of all of them first !

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

How on earth is Mowbray getting credit in that article 😂 he was atrocious at managing our young academy lads and regularly threw Raya and Nyambe under the bus and I seem to remember Travis only got called up when we had a huge injury list. 

Pretty sure Wharton never played a competitive match under him. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

I wish we had kept him for a bit longer - although I think Wharton and his agent had more to do with that move than they are given credit for - but he still has a long way to go in his development until he is the player this thread would make him seem like.

Let's also not forget, much like the Duff kissing the Chelsea badge, Wharton has become incredibly active on social media with a lot of 'up the Palace' stuff.

But, he didn't want to leave, right?

He was very involved.  He was making great tackles. Dictating the passing

He was excellent yesterday, never gave the ball away, loads of time on the ball, the sign of a real top class player.

It really sticks in my crow that we gave him away because we have incompetent owners who couldn't find there own arses with both hands, its criminal, a Rovers fan and season ticket holder too 😠

VENKYS OUT - NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Gav said:

He was excellent yesterday, never gave the ball away, loads of time on the ball, the sign of a real top class player.

It really sticks in my crow that we gave him away because we have incompetent owners who couldn't find there own arses with both hands, its criminal, a Rovers fan and season ticket holder too 😠

VENKYS OUT - NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

Why would you be a season ticket holder, when you are a player ?

2 hours ago, superniko said:

How on earth is Mowbray getting credit in that article 😂 he was atrocious at managing our young academy lads and regularly threw Raya and Nyambe under the bus and I seem to remember Travis only got called up when we had a huge injury list. 

Pretty sure Wharton never played a competitive match under him. 

He deserves no credit for Adam Wharton, but to say he was atrocious at managing the younger players is nonsense. Scott Wharton and Buckley had their best form in a Rovers shirt under him and have struggled following his departure and his 2 latest captains were Lenihan and Travis, the former who established himself under Mowbray and the latter who broke through under him and again has struggled since he left.

Obviously not perfect, after an initial phase where he wasnt, Nyambe played the vast majority of games under him although I think our fans over rated him, Raya was a poor error of judgement to agree to sell a young keeper for cheap although I dont think he becomes what he is now or close to if he stayed herem

5 hours ago, den said:

I seem to remember you didn’t rate him when he came into Rovers side in the Championship. Well, here he is playing every game for Palace  and impressing almost everyone, central midfield, in the PL, at the age of 20.  Not many do that Eddie.

I think you'll struggle to find something saying that I didn't rate him. I think he's very talented, but I've always said that there are players of equal talent dotted around clubs in England. 

As for not many? It's a relatively short list, but there would definitely be 5-10 on it virtually every season (including this one).

Just now, Eddie said:

I think you'll struggle to find something saying that I didn't rate him. I think he's very talented, but I've always said that there are players of equal talent dotted around clubs in England. 

As for not many? It's a relatively short list, but there would definitely be 5-10 on it virtually every season (including this one).

How many are just 20 years old ?

Initial fee 18.5m rising by another 5m in add-ons which Adam is well on his way to triggering all of them. 

Assuming we get 23.5m, the sell on is 15% of any Palace profit beyond what they paid to us. 

On current progress that could easily be another 10m and pretty soon.

At Anfield, it was noticeable that Wharton was tackling anything getting close to him and his lack of involvement was quite possibly because they were playing around that space in front of defence he occupies for Palace.

It was a sublime performance from him and not in the lest bit surprised his passing accuracy was almost 90%- I can only remember one pass going astray.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

How many are just 20 years old ?

Mainoo, Elliott, Chukwuekema, and Buonanotte have all definitely impressed this season. Then you have some highly touted prospects like Rico Lewis who is playing as a right-back but could definitely have his future in midfield and players like Lavia who haven't really played this season.

It's not a knock on Wharton. He's very talented and he could go onto big things, but as he was our player there is a tendency to look at his talent as being more unique than it probably is. Still a long way to go before he even starts putting himself in England contention.

*I'll also add that I'm almost certainly forgetting or overlooking certain players as I don't watch as many matches from some clubs. Again, we benefit from paying attention to Wharton in a way that we wouldn't have had he just signed for Palace from Leicester.

Edited by Eddie

37 minutes ago, philipl said:

Initial fee 18.5m rising by another 5m in add-ons which Adam is well on his way to triggering all of them. 

Assuming we get 23.5m, the sell on is 15% of any Palace profit beyond what they paid to us. 

On current progress that could easily be another 10m and pretty soon.

At Anfield, it was noticeable that Wharton was tackling anything getting close to him and his lack of involvement was quite possibly because they were playing around that space in front of defence he occupies for Palace.

It was a sublime performance from him and not in the lest bit surprised his passing accuracy was almost 90%- I can only remember one pass going astray.

Entertaining your guesses on the sell on. Is he really going for £90m anytime soon?