BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Adam Wharton

On 07/04/2024 at 11:32, roverandout said:

For England it's good we are producing number 6's now. Wharton and mainoo are both naturals in that position also there's alex scott

southgate won`t pick him,he`s to cavalier in his passing for gareth,who would rather have a henderson/phillips type,ward prowse,who is an absolute class act can`t get a sniff,so adam is well down the list

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Wharton getting huge praise on sky. What an absolute crock we only got 18 million for him

in venkys list of crimes,this one is near the top,another season with us and we could have got another 10 million for him plus we could have sold him to one of the big clubs not  to crystal palace ffs

• Like 3

Andersen at centre back was deserved man of the match. He was outstanding 

7 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

in venkys list of crimes,this one is near the top,another season with us and we could have got another 10 million for him plus we could have sold him to one of the big clubs not  to crystal palace ffs

But none of those big clubs could spend money due to FFP in the Premier League 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Wharton getting huge praise on sky. What an absolute crock we only got 18 million for him

I may be wrong, but given our indifferent form and fact that even Wharton was struggling for consistency at times, I suspect we couldn't have realistically got much more for him up front - though, maybe in add-ons. The sensible move would've been to keep him for another season knowing that he has the real potential to become a dominant player for us and command a huge fee - potentially pushing 30m +.

His story, incidentally. is a bit like Steven Nzonzi who was signed from relegated Ligue 2 Amiens, as a relative unknown and turned out to be a silky midfielder for Rovers. Albeit, Wharton had more of a spotlight on him being in England and Nzonzi was signed for something like 650k.

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 3

Can't believe our midfield was built around Evans and Lowe for years it's no wonder we went nowhere then we finally get a good one and he's gone in no time.

Meanwhile thank god for Tronstad !

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It’s like selling Damien Duff for about £8 million back in the day. He’s a once in a generation player for a team like Rovers. Palace must be pissing themselves.

Duff was around £17m, wasn't he? Losing Duff and Wharton hurt bad. Can't watch Palace games.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, riverholmes said:

I may be wrong, but given our indifferent form and fact that even Wharton was struggling for consistency at times, I suspect we couldn't have realistically got much more for him up front - though, maybe in add-ons. The sensible move would've been to keep him for another season knowing that he has the real potential to become a dominant player for us and command a huge fee - potentially pushing 30m +.

His story, incidentally. is a bit like Steven Nzonzi who was signed from relegated Ligue 2 Amiens, as a relative unknown and turned out to be a silky midfielder for Rovers. Albeit, Wharton had more of a spotlight on him being in England and Nzonzi was signed for something like 650k.

I was a big fan of Nzonzi. We virtually gave him away as well.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, roverandout said:

WOUNDNT MATTER IF IT WERE 118 MILLION , THE SLUMDOGS WONT USE IT

• Like 5

Exactly. It makes no odds to Blackburn Rovers' prospects whether we get £2 million, £20 million or £40 million for AW

As with all decent players they won't be replaced and there won't be reinvestment. So doesn't matter. The team gets worse.

We are currently at close to £25 million in transfer cash brought in since July 2023 and what have we done? Nothing. Cut cut cut, none spent, launched ourselves into relegation contention and forced out a Good manager.

Would an extra £5-10 million for AW have changed that? Nope.

Would keeping him have changed it? Well it would have kept us clear of trouble. Probably. Until next season when the inevitable happens.

• Like 3

Agree, could have gone for £50m and we would still be looking at frees and loans. It’s just offset against the money Venkys have to send over for a year or two.

Pure Waggot if you ask me as sure Gregg is asking for some of it to spend as per the ‘model’.

• Like 2

Wharton definitely looks very comfortable at that level, but he is something of the flavour of the month and a lot of the praise is a bit overboard. Even yesterday, he played well, but he wasn't that involved and really should have been part of a Palace side that lost by 5.

I wish we had kept him for a bit longer - although I think Wharton and his agent had more to do with that move than they are given credit for - but he still has a long way to go in his development until he is the player this thread would make him seem like.

Let's also not forget, much like the Duff kissing the Chelsea badge, Wharton has become incredibly active on social media with a lot of 'up the Palace' stuff.

But, he didn't want to leave, right?

I was a teenager when Duff left and it really stung me. I haven't had that same feeling about a player leaving since, but I do seeing Wharton in the prem. I'm glad he's doing well, but I can't stand the attention he's getting. He should have been the one we built around to drag us back there. A product of our academy with all the talent in the world and most importantly a Blackburn boy and we've flogged him to the first prem team that looked in his direction. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kei said:

I was a teenager when Duff left and it really stung me. I haven't had that same feeling about a player leaving since, but I do seeing Wharton in the prem. I'm glad he's doing well, but I can't stand the attention he's getting. He should have been the one we built around to drag us back there. A product of our academy with all the talent in the world and most importantly a Blackburn boy and we've flogged him to the first prem team that looked in his direction. 

Yeah...I am older, but I can trace a line of transfer bereavement..

Newton, Field, Jones, Barker, Shearer, Dunn, Duff, Wharton...

• Like 2