BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Adam Wharton

“We got an offer that matched our valuation, so we sold him.”

That pretty much sums up Waggotts explanation. 

I can’t tell you how much that pissed me off. Ambition? None whatsoever.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, den said:

Perhaps we could crowdfund an offer for Wagggott.

I reckon a fiver should do it.

@ABBEY and @Upside Down could decide what to do with him once we’ve got him.

Edited by wilsdenrover
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, den said:

And what qualifies the likes of Broughton and Waggott to put a valuation on him? They are both under qualified and took the first offer that came along. But the sensible Rovers fans know they sold the family silver to keep the lights on due to the owners nefarious business dealings.

• Like 8

It will almost certainly have been Venkys who decided how much to sell him for. Like they did for other players, notably Brereton by setting an unrealistically high price tag with no flexibility and when no one got near it they chose to stupidly let him run his contract down instead.

55 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

It will almost certainly have been Venkys who decided how much to sell him for. Like they did for other players, notably Brereton by setting an unrealistically high price tag with no flexibility and when no one got near it they chose to stupidly let him run his contract down instead.

I really don't believe that the owners have any idea on player valuations. Of course the deal for Adam was done with their approval but putting a price on him? Similar with Brereton as again they wouldn't have and idea of his worth. The unqualified idiots at Rovers are the ones who put the prices on players I believe. The fools in Pune are just going along with them and in the case of Adam get some money into the club to save face after their court appearances.

• Like 5

Isn’t it a case that all players have a price, that no matter how good they are or how big a name, that no player is unsellable? Even the likes Messi and C Ronaldo

Rovers put a price on Wharton that reflected his potential and his age, in other words he looks to have the ability to go to the highest level but he’s young and he’s inexperienced and young players sometimes do not always develop into the players they promise to be. Older Rovers fans will remember David Bradford who IIRC Ken Furphy said would be Britain’s first £1 million footballer but whose career ultimately never took off.

Rovers put a price on Wharton and ultimately Palace were the only ones willing to pay it. It’s not true to say we took the first offer that came along. Rovers could have asked £25m or £30m but no one would have gambled that sort of money on a young Championship player. And it is a gamble because there is no guarantee that any signing will work out for the best

I have no problem with the Wharton sale. Good luck to him. I wish he hadn’t gone to a nothing southern club but there you go.  The real issue is that the money has not and will not be reinvested in other players. That is where Waggott and co need to be held to account 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Isn’t it a case that all players have a price, that no matter how good they are or how big a name, that no player is unsellable? Even the likes Messi and C Ronaldo

Rovers put a price on Wharton that reflected his potential and his age, in other words he looks to have the ability to go to the highest level but he’s young and he’s inexperienced and young players sometimes do not always develop into the players they promise to be. Older Rovers fans will remember David Bradford who IIRC Ken Furphy said would be Britain’s first £1 million footballer but whose career ultimately never took off.

Rovers put a price on Wharton and ultimately Palace were the only ones willing to pay it. It’s not true to say we took the first offer that came along. Rovers could have asked £25m or £30m but no one would have gambled that sort of money on a young Championship player. And it is a gamble because there is no guarantee that any signing will work out for the best

I have no problem with the Wharton sale. Good luck to him. I wish he hadn’t gone to a nothing southern club but there you go.  The real issue is that the money has not and will not be reinvested in other players. That is where Waggott and co need to be held to account 

Its Venkys who havent allowed any to be reinvested and need to be held to account.

Edited by roversfan99
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

I’m not having that Jim. If we’d have held onto the lad until Summer we’d have got much more. Not only that but we wouldn’t have been staring down the barrel of the relegation gun next Saturday. When he walked out of the door at least 50% of our creativity went with him.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Its Venkys who havent allowed any yo be reinvested and need to be held to account.

What exactly does that mean ? It’s just a word salad. Who’s going to hold them to account ? What does that account look like ?  Who’s going to do it ? You, Me, the government ?

They’re untouchable and they know it. A real government would have tackled these type of football club owners years ago  but they don’t give a bollocks either.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

11 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

What exactly does that mean ? It’s just a word salad. Who’s going to hold them to account ? What does that account look like ?  Who’s going to do it ? You, Me, the government ?

They’re untouchable and they know it. A real government would have tackled these type of football club owners years ago  but they don’t give a bollocks either.

Im not saying they will or can be. Just that holding any of the clueless employees they keep in situ on behalf of them is fairly pointless.

• Moderation Lead
2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Let’s see if any of the Wharton's money is reinvested this summer. Plus the Raya money

Appreciate you want to be optimistic, I really do.

But, given how much of our recent big sales has gone back into replacing them, I probably wouldn’t hold your breath.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Appreciate you want to be optimistic, I really do.

But, given how much of our recent big sales has gone back into replacing them, I probably wouldn’t hold your breath.

apart from Armstrong sale 3 seasons ago we haven't had a big sale and we all knew that had to go towards FFP rules. 

Wharton deal was only confirmed last day of the window, so lets if we reinvested some of it the way GB would like to. 

• Downvote 2

• Moderation Lead
12 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

apart from Armstrong sale 3 seasons ago we haven't had a big sale and we all knew that had to go towards FFP rules. 

Wharton deal was only confirmed last day of the window, so lets if we reinvested some of it the way GB would like to. 

Given what has happened with the last few sales, it’s far more likely that it won’t go into the team than it will.

See the money received from Jordan Rhodes’ sale, for reference.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I’m not having that Jim. If we’d have held onto the lad until Summer we’d have got much more. Not only that but we wouldn’t have been staring down the barrel of the relegation gun next Saturday. When he walked out of the door at least 50% of our creativity went with him.

Palace were willing to pay £18m - they wasn't any other interest at that level as far as I'm aware. Would we have got more in the summer - maybe, maybe not. Might Palace have lost interest by then?

It's like selling a house - you'd love (say, £100k), but there's only one buyer interested and he's willing to pay £95k tops. Do you say no or take the money that's on the table and move on? I think that's what Rovers have done with Wharton.

The real issue as I stated is that Rovers had spent less than half the reported £18m for Wharton we could have got 2 or 3 very decent Championship players in. 

I dont see how anyone is pining their hopes on a Broughton interview where he merely said that he RECOMMENDS that we invest in the playing squad etc. He knows more than anyone that its probably unlikely, and even though his competence is at best highly dubious, hes a good speaker and it isnt hard to know that the normal thing to do is to reinvest some if we have even a shred of ambition.

We did sell Wharton late in the window but dont swallow rubbish about it being too late. Simply because we had a McGuire buy lined up for a fraction of those funds and the owners refused to authorise it. So clearly no willingness to invest.

Then there is Armstrong, even if you believe that every single penny had to go to FFP, thats another sale where we didnt reinvest. Then when we sold Rhodes, we got a few loans and didnt buy anyone. Then there is Gestede, Cairney, Hanley, Duffy, the list goes on.

On the rare occasions where we have had a bit of money to spend, it hasnt ever been the direct proceeds of a sale. And its usually following a few seasons of frugality so it boosts us a bit but not from a position of strength. They spent 4 or 5 million when Tomasson came having been directly responsible for players leaving for free. They also gave Mowbray 10 million but that was on the back of a League 1 campaign that happened after years of budget cuts that led us there in the first place.

• Like 2