BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Adam Wharton

13 hours ago, superniko said:

I also think this is potentially the silent alarm to why we absolutely tanked from Christmas onwards. 

Waggott rubbed his hands together despite selling to the first bidder for below market price as it’ll look good to Venkys who haven’t got a scooby. 
But that decision almost cost us our championship place as it’s no coincidence we looked absolutely dire since he left, creating feck all. 

The flip side is he was the silent pillar that kept us above water. Sammie has gotten a ton of plaudits for his contribution (and rightly so), but in hindsight the buffer we had from the months when Wharton was in the team was what gave us the chance to limp over the line.

Thanks Adam. Hoping against hope they use the money you made us to strengthen the club for the years to come.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

For a successful businessman it appears Ratcliffe hasn't really done due diligence on the Rags. The whole squad needs a huge overhaul and will cost hundreds of millions to do that. There isn't a lot of value in the current squad outside of two of three. The coaching team is second rate (McClaren ffs) and that will cost money to get shut of them. Who would want to manage them and essentially have to start from scratch? The theatre of dreamers is falling down and Carrington is in a huge state of disrepair.

It's a real mess and the majority of football fans are finding it hugely amusing.

I'd swap places with them in a heartbeat.

2 hours ago, Bohinen1983 said:

Whilst I would be surprised if it happened, surely Adam deserves a couple of friendlies before the Euro's for England?  The better the players around him, the better he is.  Not surprising given the nature of his game.   Imagine taking a midfield of Bellingham, Rice Cole Palmer, Mainoo, Wharton and Foden.

Wharton offers something really different, but realistically I can't see him getting a game above those lads but you never know, if Henderson can...

I wonder if we've inserted clauses for international caps etc?

They'll take Gallagher in CM.

Foden, Palmer and Bellingham (although I'd play him in CM for England to accommodate the glut of attacking midfielders we have) play further forward.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hasta said:

I've watched a few Palace games since AW went there and they seem to be a good partnership. Wharton just pins the midfield whilst Hughes can get around the pitch more. I agree on last nights viewing Hughes probably caught the eye more, but what I liked in Wharton is that we saw a lot more of the side of his game that was supposedly lacking a little at Rovers. We know given more of the ball what he can do, but we saw a good level of discipline.

I still think of Hughes as being the kid that broke through at Derby years ago. Just checked and he's 29 years only and now played approaching 200 games in the Premier League. He's been a good, solid pro without ever being in any kind of discussion for a spot in the national side.

I think a bad injury did for Hughes otherwise he would have been some player.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It’s all the more galling for me because the lad was quite happy at Rovers and we were under no pressure to sell him other than from the Chicken Chokers who had ballsed up the finances.

By selling him in January we basically turned down a free loan of a top end Premier League midfielder until the end of the season, and very nearly went down because of it. In fact it’s worse because I can’t see any reason why his value wouldn’t have appreciated whilst playing for us between January and now. He was at the start of a long term contract, happy to stay and on relative peanuts. One of the bigger fuck ups in a long line of them from our owners and board.

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Hasta said:

The lad's certainly attracting the attention of many including MOD and Sky pundits.

To me, he's a class above Mainoo.

Wharton seemingly strolls through games and always seem to have so much time - hallmarks of really special players.  

I was wowed by Duff when he broke through at Rovers but, to me, and I know they play different positions, I think Wharton is going to be an even bigger and better player.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 1

Just now, roverandout said:

He's the perfect standin for rice when we need to slow play down 

I like Rice a lot, he’s a cracking player with a great engine but Wharton is a better, more penetrating, passer of the ball. There’s nobody coming through that can see and deliver a pass better in the England team. Other players might be better in other ways but when he comes down to picking out forward runs Wharton is superb. Probably one of last “ street ‘  footballers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It was his decision making ability that caught my eye when I first saw him play. He’s two moves ahead all the time.  “ The ability to make the right decision at speed under pressure is what separates the top players from the also rans “.

Unfortunately no one else in our side was on his level so he was two moves ahead of everyone 

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, davulsukur said:

I know who's tweeted it but assume he's got that stat from somewhere else.

Screenshot_20240507_153048_X.jpg

That is the sort of stat which will catch Southgate's attention and he will know all about Adam at England youth levels.

He's in with a chance, if he was with a Big Name Club he would be a shoe in.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

That is the sort of stat which will catch Southgate's attention and he will know all about Adam at England youth levels.

He's in with a chance, if he was with a Big Name Club he would because shoe in.

Would be great to see him at an arsenal, city Liverpool villa or spurs. Hope he doesn't go to Chelsea or utd!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NeilInBristol said:

Would be great to see him at an arsenal, city Liverpool villa or spurs. Hope he doesn't go to Chelsea or utd!!

Especially ManUre, a graveyard for many a talent and it will take time, if ever, for the new minority owner to have any real effect.

• Like 2

On 07/05/2024 at 19:39, Mattyblue said:

The fact that he is already running PL games and the debate is when he’ll be playing for England shows how Palace had our pants down and no mistake.

The problem is that we pulled them down ourselves.

• Like 2

‘Adam Wharton’s Champions League level’ – meet England’s next midfielder

Wonderful to see how well Adam is doing. Delighted for him.

Such a shame this wasn't with Rovers and I'm not sure we will see such a talent again for a long long time.

Him going was inevitable but I think he was sold cheap. Odds on us not having a sell on clause....?

• Like 2

Bit annoying all these instagram and self-proclaimed twitter experts praising Wharton like they found him down the back of the sofa, also, them calling him the Blackburn Beckenbauer need telling its the Wilpshire Pirlo, end of.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Lancaster Rover said:

Bit annoying all these instagram and self-proclaimed twitter experts praising Wharton like they found him down the back of the sofa, also, them calling him the Blackburn Beckenbauer need telling its the Wilpshire Pirlo, end of.

Beckenbauer at Wharton’s age was the best attacking midfield player I ever saw. He had it all. A real Rolls-Royce of a footballer. Then he decided to drop back into the back four to prolong his career.

• Like 1