BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Adam Wharton

44 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Mainoo, Elliott, Chukwuekema, and Buonanotte have all definitely impressed this season. Then you have some highly touted prospects like Rico Lewis who is playing as a right-back but could definitely have his future in midfield and players like Lavia who haven't really played this season.

It's not a knock on Wharton. He's very talented and he could go onto big things, but as he was our player there is a tendency to look at his talent as being more unique than it probably is. Still a long way to go before he even starts putting himself in England contention.

*I'll also add that I'm almost certainly forgetting or overlooking certain players as I don't watch as many matches from some clubs. Again, we benefit from paying attention to Wharton in a way that we wouldn't have had he just signed for Palace from Leicester.

The lad’s got what you can’t teach. He carries his own space around with him. He’s two passes in front of play. Terrific vision and passing skills. If he’d gone to Liverpool or Arsenal instead of Palace he be knocking on the England door now.

• Like 6

36 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Entertaining your guesses on the sell on. Is he really going for £90m anytime soon?

I have the transfer deal privately from more than one reliable source plus it has been posted on here by others.

As for 90m. The kid is just 20 and is still learning the PL game and is already a revelation. If Caicedo went for 110m (which he did) then Wharton 12 months from now, new England management etc etc...  

You can be pretty sure Palace will fight to keep him the way Brighton drive their transfer fees up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, philipl said:

I have the transfer deal privately from more than one reliable source plus it has been posted on here by others.

As for 90m. The kid is just 20 and is still learning the PL game and is already a revelation. If Caicedo went for 110m (which he did) then Wharton 12 months from now, new England management etc etc...  

You can be pretty sure Palace will fight to keep him the way Brighton drive their transfer fees up.

You mean the way we used to do?

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Upside Down said:

You mean the way we used to do?

Did we ever really do that?

I can't remember any point where we've really put up a great fight to keep players. Duff went fairly easily. Bellamy, Santa Cruz, Bentley, Jones...

It's not really anything new. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I can't remember any point where we've really put up a great fight to keep players. Duff went fairly easily. Bellamy, Santa Cruz, Bentley, Jones...

I think the difference is, to a greater or lesser extent, they all wanted to leave. I don’t think Wharton did.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Kevin Hird, John Bailey, Colin Hendry - the list goes on and on. But at least we got a season or two out of all of them first !

James Beattie! What a fiasco that was!

On 14/04/2024 at 16:41, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It’s like selling Damien Duff for about £8 million back in the day. He’s a once in a generation player for a team like Rovers. Palace must be pissing themselves.

In fairness, if we had been in the second tier at the time, and that was the only opposition Duff had gotten to show his class against, that's probably about as good as we could have expected back then. I'd say it's more like selling Duff for £4-5 million from the second tier.

3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I think the difference is, to a greater or lesser extent, they all wanted to leave. I don’t think Wharton did.

I just don't believe that for a second.

His agent was far more active in the months leading up to the window and a lot of effort has been put in to build his profile in the time leading up to the move and immediately following it.

I'm sure he enjoyed his time here. I'm sure he loved playing with his brother. But this was a big move to the Premier League, more money, and a bigger stepping stone.

Many believe that he wanted to stay, but it likely isn't the case. After all, if he had really wanted to stay he would have turned the move down. Oh wait, I forgot that he supposedly took the move because the club told him how desperate they were for money...

2 hours ago, bluebruce said:

In fairness, if we had been in the second tier at the time, and that was the only opposition Duff had gotten to show his class against, that's probably about as good as we could have expected back then. I'd say it's more like selling Duff for £4-5 million from the second tier.

It's as if we would have sold Duff the season before we were promoted - although even then he was more proven than Wharton is now. Duff had made more Premier League appearances before we were relegated than Wharton made appearances for our first team before he was sold.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Eddie said:

Duff had a release clause, Bellamy had a release clause, Jones had a release clause. Santa Cruz was a terrific deal for us, it was fairly clear at the time he had gone back off the boil and was a crock. Bentley dragged on for most of the summer, culminating in the player drunkenly interviewing with Sky Sports on holiday to say he wanted out. Don't think there was much chance of keeping him without him becoming hugely disruptive.

I'm not a fan of putting in release clauses, kinda think they should be banned, but Bellamy wasn't signing in the first place without it. Possible the other players weren't signing their contract extensions without them either.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

He deserves no credit for Adam Wharton, but to say he was atrocious at managing the younger players is nonsense. Scott Wharton and Buckley had their best form in a Rovers shirt under him and have struggled following his departure and his 2 latest captains were Lenihan and Travis, the former who established himself under Mowbray and the latter who broke through under him and again has struggled since he left.

Obviously not perfect, after an initial phase where he wasnt, Nyambe played the vast majority of games under him although I think our fans over rated him, Raya was a poor error of judgement to agree to sell a young keeper for cheap although I dont think he becomes what he is now or close to if he stayed herem

He tried to sell Scott Wharton before an injury crisis thrust him into the lineup.

Sent him out on loan in his early 20s twice 'cos he didn't rate him. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

He tried to sell Scott Wharton before an injury crisis thrust him into the lineup.

Sent him out on loan in his early 20s twice 'cos he didn't rate him. 

Hypothetical scenarios aside, he was the one that brought him through, played him regularly and got the best form of his career out of him. The loans were because he didnt feel like he was physically ready. When he broke through he was nowhere near as well built as he was now so them loans did him the world of good.

We can say what if this or that had happened, but it didnt.

6 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Duff had a release clause, Bellamy had a release clause, Jones had a release clause. Santa Cruz was a terrific deal for us, it was fairly clear at the time he had gone back off the boil and was a crock. Bentley dragged on for most of the summer, culminating in the player drunkenly interviewing with Sky Sports on holiday to say he wanted out. Don't think there was much chance of keeping him without him becoming hugely disruptive.

I'm not a fan of putting in release clauses, kinda think they should be banned, but Bellamy wasn't signing in the first place without it. Possible the other players weren't signing their contract extensions without them either.

Right, so think about it. How hard were we fighting to keep players when we'd made it a standard policy to put release clauses into contracts?

Under the Walker Trust and John Williams we had accepted the idea that we had to be a selling club and turn a profit on players when possible. In some instances, this probably helped us to sign certain players (Bellamy), but we also created a culture that made that the standard approach for contracts.

I'm not defending Venkys, but they would be crucified if they were putting in release clauses at the rate that we were in the 2000s. You'd struggle to find another club that not only put release clauses in for virtually all of their key first team players, but also set them at a relatively low number. 

9 minutes ago, Polky said:

Here’s a hoping it is 10/15% of the future fee rather than profit.

15% would be around £7.5m for a fee of £50m 😄

True but we've already received £18M remember. Not saying its overgenerous or anything by the way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Polky said:

Here’s a hoping it is 10/15% of the future fee rather than profit.

15% would be around £7.5m for a fee of £50m 😄

WE developed whims a footballer from the age of 6! And they get the same as us for playing him for a couple of seasons. Absolutely stinks. But better than the nothing we are used to getting, or nearly nothing (Philips).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

I'm still angry about that. When you take inflation into consideration, it must be up there as one of the worst bits of business in the PL era. 

Bit young to remember that but didn’t shay given go about that time. Does anyone remember what happened with that ?

7 hours ago, Eddie said:

Right, so think about it. How hard were we fighting to keep players when we'd made it a standard policy to put release clauses into contracts?

Under the Walker Trust and John Williams we had accepted the idea that we had to be a selling club and turn a profit on players when possible. In some instances, this probably helped us to sign certain players (Bellamy), but we also created a culture that made that the standard approach for contracts.

I'm not defending Venkys, but they would be crucified if they were putting in release clauses at the rate that we were in the 2000s. You'd struggle to find another club that not only put release clauses in for virtually all of their key first team players, but also set them at a relatively low number. 

Duff, Jones, Santa Cruz and Bentley raised nearly £70m (a long time ago) from a cost of probably £4-5m. With these players especially Bellamy, it was likely the only way they would sign up. If Venkys were regularly bringing in massive fees and continuing to sign top players as we continue to punch above our weight, I doubt there would be much uproar. 

• Like 3