BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Adam Wharton

4 hours ago, only2garners said:

I have no idea whatsoever on Adam's psychological status and I'm pretty sure you don't either.

Adam is right at the beginning of what I hope will be a stellar career for Rovers. So far he has played 10 games for the first team, 6 at Championship level. He had one stunning opening performance at Blackpool followed immediately by a disappointing part game at home to Bristol City - it looked at that game like he had spent the few days in between reading the press reports. Or it could well have been that his young body wasn't up to two games in a week. He had another couple of excellent games in the following weeks but as I pointed out there were also more poor performances.

Since then, for whatever reason, he has rarely even appeared on the bench for the first team, so something's wrong somewhere. I haven't seen him play enough to definitely be sure that he's going to make it long term. It appears that there are plenty of others who, based on similar evidence, are sure. I hope you're all right but asked to choose between the judgement of a few folk on the internet or Rovers professional coaching staff, I'm going with the latter.

He's only 19 in June of this year.

This season he has made 10 first team appearances for a total of just 498 minutes, only 1 appearance was for the full 90 minutes.

No one, management included, has seen enough of him in top level match play to pass a final judgement.

No one is writing him off on here, apart from one lunatic post by someone earlier in this thread, or I am confident at Rovers to whom he is contracted to until 2027.

He is a young player still very early in his career who has every chance of going far on the game. England think so, and I respect their opinion too.

The reason his omission grates is that Morton who plays most of the time is consistently poor, a cry baby and has cost us points. A joke of a player.

The only feasible reason for Mortons continued inclusion is the transfer window debacle and JDT not, as yet, having full faith in Adam.

I hope that changes. Adam with be a Rover years longer than JDT or his silent partner what's his name.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

WoW, so much bollocks in one biased post.

Well done that man.

FFS that is a beaut.

What do you disagree with?

There are some 300 or so video analysts employed in the top two divisions.

What do you think they do all day?

4 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

He's only 19 in June of this year.

This season he has made 10 first team appearances for a total of just 498 minutes, only 1 appearance was for the full 90 minutes.

No one, management included, has seen enough of him in top level match play to pass a final judgement.

No one is writing him off on here, apart from one lunatic post by someone earlier in this thread, or I am confident at Rovers to whom he is contracted to until 2027.

He is a young player still very early in his career who has every chance of going far on the game. England think so, and I respect their opinion too.

The reason his omission grates is that Morton who plays most of the time is consistently poor, a cry baby and has cost us points. A joke of a player.

The only feasible reason for Mortons continued inclusion is the transfer window debacle and JDT not, as yet, having full faith in Adam.

I hope that changes. Adam with be a Rover years longer than JDT or his silent partner what's his name.

the most sensible summary i've read so far

• Like 2

On 03/04/2023 at 21:44, Neilbristol said:

We've seen the quotes from JDT but something is going on.

I think it's fairly clear. The talented Adam Wharton doesn't sound like he's pulling his weight enough in training.

I like a lot of what I've seen from Wharton, but he is certainly still raw. Morton gets pilloried for making mistakes, largely because he's not ours, but Wharton has made some crucial errors in some of the games I've seen him.

I think everyone just needs to take a chill pill. This lad is super-talented. Let's not let him get eaten up by pressure situations just yet. I'm happy for JDT to bide his time with him.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, goozburger said:

I think it's fairly clear. The talented Adam Wharton doesn't sound like he's pulling his weight enough in training.

I like a lot of what I've seen from Wharton, but he is certainly still raw. Morton gets pilloried for making mistakes, largely because he's not ours, but Wharton has made some crucial errors in some of the games I've seen him.

I think everyone just needs to take a chill pill. This lad is super-talented. Let's not let him get eaten up by pressure situations just yet. I'm happy for JDT to bide his time with him.

Cheers. Good to know. Without seeing him play I find it hard to judge, highlights are minimum and few quotes about his training efforts from JDT. Looking forward to seeing him in the rovers shirt for years to come!

Edited by Neilbristol
Typo

10 hours ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

I imagine its long been the case that gifted players are lazier in training.  Those less gifted naturally have to work harder to impress.

I can't imagine Tugay was ever a great trainer..

or Gazza, Maradonna, Ibrahimovic etc.

Still be the first name on the team sheet though.

Either build a team aroun a talent or move the talent on if you want a team of grafters.  

I get your point about naturally talented players not trying as hard but Wharton is 19 and hasn’t got double figures in appearances. Bit much to compare him with generational talents and suggest he should be the first name on the team sheet. He has to earn the right to be seen as a le Tissier or a Tugay that doesn’t have to do anything in training. So far it seems like he hasn’t, and seeing how JDT has gotten the most out of our other talented youngsters do you not think it’s sensible to trust his judgement on Wharton?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rigger said:

That doesn't make it right. There is no substitute for ability, all other aspects can be worked on.

We all know of players that could have been something if their dedication matched their talent. If dedication and hard work aren’t part of a player’s repertoire from early in their career then they often don’t justify the early hype. I think self-discipline and hard work are as important as raw talent - for every Christiano Ronaldo who trains hard and reaches the peak of his career there’s a ravel Morrison and a jack rodwell who can’t be arsed and ends up pissing it away. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Hypnotic said:

We all know of players that could have been something if their dedication matched their talent. If dedication and hard work aren’t part of a player’s repertoire from early in their career then they often don’t justify the early hype. I think self-discipline and hard work are as important as raw talent - for every Christiano Ronaldo who trains hard and reaches the peak of his career there’s a ravel Morrison and a jack rodwell who can’t be arsed and ends up pissing it away. 

There are also a lot of players inbetween the ones you mentioned ,.But what all those you mentioned had, was ability. How they put that ability to use, is what can be worked on by the individual and their trainers. 

Edited by rigger
  • Like 1

Adam Wharton had a very good game against Blackpool away and everyone thought he was the next David Beckham, Sky included. 

Since then he's done nothing, regressed even, his fitness levels are not good enough for Championship football, he's no David Dunn thats for sure and Dunny had attitude problems from time to time but backed it up on the pitch.

Wharton has a lot to learn, lets hope he gets his head down and shows the ambition and desire to continue to pull on that famous Blue and White, something we'd all give a limb for I'm sure.

Edited by Gav
  • Like 6

15 hours ago, The Hypnotic said:

I get your point about naturally talented players not trying as hard but Wharton is 19 and hasn’t got double figures in appearances. Bit much to compare him with generational talents and suggest he should be the first name on the team sheet. He has to earn the right to be seen as a le Tissier or a Tugay that doesn’t have to do anything in training. So far it seems like he hasn’t, and seeing how JDT has gotten the most out of our other talented youngsters do you not think it’s sensible to trust his judgement on Wharton?

I get the whole put a shift in debate to justify selection. I just think at this stage, given the lack of options/creativity in the middle, he should at least be on the bench and given a cameo  or 2.  If he's potentially a 'difference' maker, there's not much to lose at this stage.   If he does nowt, then he'll have to graft to get a place next season.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Gav said:

Adam Wharton had a very good game against Blackpool away and everyone thought he was the next David Beckham, Sky included. 

Since then he's done nothing, regressed even, his fitness levels are not good enough for Championship football, he's no David Dunn thats for sure and Dunny had attitude problems from time to time but backed it up on the pitch.

Wharton has a lot to learn, lets hope he gets his head down and shows the ambition and desire to continue to pull on that famous Blue and White, something we'd all give a limb for I'm sure.

He hasn't regressed at all. When he's played he's been one of our more progressive midfielders. The goal against Birmingham wouldn't have been scored by any of our other midfielders 

4 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

He's fucking 18, get that through your fecking heads.

On here, at the club everyone bangs on about youth taking time to develop.

But with Adam rules change .... Lunacy, may as well bang my head on a brick wall that this shit.

Exactly, he’s fucking 18, he’s not going to magically change our season. Get that in your head.

The bollocks talked about Wharton is insane, he’s getting better by not playing, purely in peoples heads. If he wasn’t a Rovers fan no one would care he wasn’t been picked for having a shit attitude.

17 hours ago, Gav said:

Its absolute rubbish that he has done nothing since. He set up the winner at Hull with a superb pass. He scored the winner v Birmingham and he was excellent v Boro too.

• Like 5