BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Adam Wharton

1 hour ago, philipl said:

Adam is still very young and physically small.

Imagine an 18 year old as slight as him appearing in an opposition side- the Rovers crowd would expect him to be out muscled and locked out of the game.

Yes Adam is terrifically gifted but there is not much chance for him to sparkle against the animals playing in the Championship until he has the body strength.

Unsure if you watched the same games but when he played he was not physically outfought, he was surprisingly tenacious. The only question mark would be stamina across 90 minutes as he more often than not was subbed off.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, philipl said:

Adam is still very young and physically small.

Imagine an 18 year old as slight as him appearing in an opposition side- the Rovers crowd would expect him to be out muscled and locked out of the game.

Yes Adam is terrifically gifted but there is not much chance for him to sparkle against the animals playing in the Championship until he has the body strength.

Give over, it's not a physical game anymore.

If he's good enough those 'animals' wouldn't be able to get near him - which they couldn't at Blackpool.

2 hours ago, bluebruce said:

My guess on the latter is it would remind everyone he should be playing ahead of Morton, increasing calls for his inclusion.

I mean there's no conspiracy theory - JDT is an ambitious manager, he's not freezing out A. Wharton because he thinks he's a prick. 

Dack, JRC, Carter etc etc have all earned playing time after starting on the fringes of the squad - there's clearly some truth to the rumours that he simply doesn't apply himself in training.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I mean there's no conspiracy theory - JDT is an ambitious manager, he's not freezing out A. Wharton because he thinks he's a prick. 

Dack, JRC, Carter etc etc have all earned playing time after starting on the fringes of the squad - there's clearly some truth to the rumours that he simply doesn't apply himself in training.

Who said it's because he thinks he's a prick? Whatever the reason, he's freezing him out, and given our options, he's wrong to do so. I don't give a fuck if he trains naked except for a pair of nipple tassels, if you put him on the pitch instead of Morton, we will do better.

• Like 1

Whilst there may well be some truth in regards to Wharton's application in training or a personal issue, I do think this rumour has snowballed to the point where it is seen almost as factual. None of us know.

Tomasson is definitely doing a good job but like anyone, his judgement is not perfect. He decided to play Clinton Mola over Scott Wharton against Burnley. He has played Jack Vale in games despite never having looked capable. He went through a spell of playing Hedges as a right wing back. 

Maybe he just rates Morton higher than Wharton. Maybe that is partly down to feeling that Morton is more durable in terms of playing multiple games for 90 minutes in quick succession.

I rate Wharton higher than Morton, most of us do, maybe there isn't that much more to it than Tomasson thinking otherwise.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, booth said:

He wasn't outmuscled, he just didn't seem to have the match fitness to play more than one match a week. I'm surprised he hasn't had more games.

Yea, same sentiments. Fitness seems to be the issue. He doesn't seem to be able to last even 90 mins. The only game which he completes 90 minutes is against Blackpool.

8 hours ago, bluebruce said:

My guess on the latter is it would remind everyone he should be playing ahead of Morton, increasing calls for his inclusion.

So JDT isn’t picking him/putting him on as a sub because it would make his own judgement look bad in the eyes of the fans? 

You did say it was a guess but it’s a pretty wild one! 

Why would JDT do anything that he didn’t think was in the interests of winning football matches, which includes making unpopular decisions (plenty of other examples this season as well as A Wharton).

I'm not saying I agree with Adam’s exclusion but I don’t think it’s anything other than JDT allowing him time to develop, both physically and it would seem emotionally too.

• Like 1

• Backroom

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/23432690.blackburn-rovers-options-stretched-adam-wharton-waits-wings/

there you have it, the boss thinks he isn’t giving enough in training, disappointing if true as he should be busting a gut, players like Dolan show that attitude and determination can go a huge way 

• Like 5

Sounds like he’s still a bit immature, just the way it is when you have a lot of young lads in the squad, some will develop off the pitch quicker than others. I imagine the penny will drop eventually. Shame all round though as more minutes this season would have been beneficial to him and the team.

As an aside that interview definitely sounds like he’s thinking of moving JRC into midfield.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

We could certainly do with him making an impact on the first team. Sometimes as fans we have a habit of jumping on the bandwagon and criticising players, but I've been very unimpressed by Morton for months.

JDT has been utterly consistent in his messages to all players though. You earn it in training and you'll get minutes. It should be no different for Wharton. Whether it's a case of him not commiting himself or his body is just getting used to the intensity of men's football, (even if its just in training) I have full faith that JDT is being objective in his assessment. 

It's just a shame he's not in the picture right now, as we're crying out for a player of his qualities.

• Like 2

He’s clearly rubbed JDT up the wrong way in training with his application, and as a few others have said, it’s a huge shame given how short we are there without Buckley (and O’Brien!). 

Come on Scotty lad, get an arm round your younger brother. Wharton turning up for even 5 or so games this season could be the difference for us because Morton is becoming a bigger liability by the match.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 2

I find stuff like this so frustrating, between the coaching team and the lad himself it should have been sorted out long ago. I stand by that this season is our best chance of getting out of the league, and if even young lads can't see that and put in what the manager wants then I'm massively disappointed.

• Like 1

Dack had the same problem as Wharton in the early part of this season. Dack said himself he'd thrown the toys out and that the penny didn't drop until a few months into the season. He got back in the team on a regular basis when he applied himself in the way that JDT wants.

JDT has been saying the same about Wharton for months - he needs to 'do more' to get back in the squad. Wharton should probably listen to the bloke who picks the team. 

• Like 8

I saw him in a recent under 21 game and he was distinctly average, at times lethargic. He gave a goal away (which can happen) but his body language didn't inspire me to think that he is ready for Championship football. He is without doubt the most talented youngster I have seen at Rovers for a long time but in professional sport talent isn't enough.

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I saw him in a recent under 21 game and he was distinctly average, at times lethargic. He gave a goal away (which can happen) but his body language didn't inspire me to think that he is ready for Championship football. He is without doubt the most talented youngster I have seen at Rovers for a long time but in professional sport talent isn't enough.

It’s like in any walk of life - if your attitude is wrong ultimately you’ll never reach your potential. When I trained apprentices the one thing I looked for was “ attitude “ . If it was good I could teach them all they needed to know, if it wasn’t good we were both wasting our time. What was that lad called that Utd blew out a few years ago and he then drifted from team to team  ? He was majorly talented but his attitude was all wrong.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It’s like in any walk of life - if your attitude is wrong ultimately you’ll never reach your potential. When I trained apprentices the one thing I looked for was “ attitude “ . If it was good I could teach them all they needed to know, if it wasn’t good we were both wasting our time. What was that lad called that Utd blew out a few years ago and he then drifted from team to team  ? He was majorly talented but his attitude was all wrong.

Ravel Morrison?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, arbitro said:

He was like that in the Forest cup game too just before Christmas, which I'm guessing was his last senior start if his last league one was start of November. He looked like he'd rather be anywhere else.

It's a shame as, if somebody had said at the end of August after the Stoke and Blackpool games that he'd go months without playing this season, you'd have been very surprised. I only saw the highlights from the Blackpool game but he was superb against Stoke when he came on - and was even playing well after that too, e.g. goal v Birmingham and lovely assist at Hull in October.

Hopefully he'll get there eventually.

• Like 3

What I find strange is a lot of people seem annoyed he's not getting the chance. If we'd bought him and he had a shit attitude in training, people wouldn't be happy, but because he's from the Academy and a Rovers fan he seems to get a bit of a free pass.

Effort in training should be a given. He's supposed to be a professional footballer, it's literally his job, it's not kids having a kick about anymore,

• Like 4

It's not looking good for Adam Wharton

He may be talented but if his attitude is all wrong and he doesn't apply himself then he won't have a career and ultimately Rovers will let him go. 

Maybe he doesn't like Tomasson and they don't get on.  Scott Wharton's form has gone right off as well so maybe both brothers have problems with the manager. Who knows?

Either way, his parents should be telling him to knuckle down and work hard; otherwise we could have another David Bradford on our hands, another talent who never filled his potential

Edited by jim mk2
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

More conspiracy theories in here than on Fox News, well done to all contributors.

Its probable that Adam can borrow those nipple tassels from Morton who, allegedly, has quite a collection.

No you're right, my apologies. I will ignore it literally coming from JDTs mouth, it's definitely just a conspiracy.

I should remember AW is a Rovers fan so he can do no wrong. He should be starting every game, regardless of attitude!

• Like 2