BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Adam Wharton

4 hours ago, lraC said:

It would be no surprise to see him becoming a target for the big boys, very soon. We are fortunate that he is a fan and a local lad. That said, if a big bid came in, then the owners might want to cash in. 

We have to be realistic. If someone like City, Utd etc offered him £100,000 a week and rising, he's off, like we all would. All we can hope for is that he plays well for us for the next 3/4 years and helps us to promotion and we then get a hefty transfer fee for him, hopefully to spend.

The key to keeping him as long as possible is periodic revisits of the contract.

Edited by 47er
  • Like 5

We clearly have one of the best academies in the country at producing players for the first team regular. We have been doing it for the years now. It's all credit to everyone involved from coaching staff, off the field staff and the owners to keep funding it season in season out  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

We clearly have one of the best academies in the country at producing players for the first team regular. We have been doing it for the years now. It's all credit to everyone involved from coaching staff, off the field staff and the owners to keep funding it season in season out  

And to think, If we had had all those youngsters on contracts the academy would have paid for its self.

14 hours ago, Proudtobeblue&white said:

He really is a lovely lad. It's down to the bloody owners, they will take the money.

Based on what? One thing about Venky's is they don't seem to put any pressure on the sale of assets. Phil Jones is one I can think of, but pretty sure they activated his release clause. They're often ridiculously stubborn - see Rhodes, Brereton, Rothwell etc. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 47er said:

We have to be realistic. If someone like City, Utd etc offered him £100,000 a week and rising, he's off, like we all would. All we can hope for is that he plays well for us for the next 3/4 years and helps us to promotion and we then get a hefty transfer fee for him, hopefully to spend.

The key to keeping him as long as possible is periodic revisits of the contract.

Definitley.

Thanks to Venky’s dumbing down we haven’t been represented at a World Cup since 2010, although Kaminski might buck that trend and make the Belgium squad.

It’s worth noting we will have one of our home grown players there for the first time since Duff though, as Raya is likely to go with Spain.

There’s probably only a handful of our homegrown talents to have appeared at a World Cup (Clayton, Douglas, Newton?). Genuinely think Wharton could do so one day.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Thanks to Venky’s dumbing down we haven’t been represented at a World Cup since 2010, although Kaminski might buck that trend and make the Belgium squad.

It’s worth noting we will have one of our home grown players there for the first time since Duff though, as Raya is likely to go with Spain.

There’s probably only a handful of our homegrown talents to have appeared at a World Cup (Clayton, Douglas, Newton?). Genuinely think Wharton could do so one day.

Phil Jones another one I think. Agree on Wharton but I guess there are many imponderables between now and that happening.

1 minute ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Phil Jones another one I think. Agree on Wharton but I guess there are many imponderables between now and that happening.

Ah yes of course! Like about half a dozen Man Utd managers I completely forgot he existed!

• Like 3

As exciting as Adam Wharton is, seems a bit premature to suggest that he could go to World Cups at this stage!

It certainly isnt in our best interests for Kaminski to go to the World Cup with the stupid timing. Might peak a bit of interest but not worth potentially having Pears in net at any point. He is 4th or 5th choice I think so hopefully he will miss out.

4 hours ago, Miller11 said:

Keith Newton played in the 1970 World Cup. He was part of the best England team I ever saw.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

So much noise on the forums around him I thought I'd start a thread! Haha! 

We've seen the quotes from JDT but something is going on.

Lack of update despite talking about the others selection calls

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/23429325.up-speed---tomasson-explains-blackburn-rovers-selection-calls/

Adam is still very young and physically small.

Imagine an 18 year old as slight as him appearing in an opposition side- the Rovers crowd would expect him to be out muscled and locked out of the game.

Yes Adam is terrifically gifted but there is not much chance for him to sparkle against the animals playing in the Championship until he has the body strength.

• Like 1

Not sure the conspiracy theories are anything but that. Maybe it's just that JDT doesn't think Wharton is quite ready....plus he's been injured recently. 

This is from December:-

'Tomasson's challenge to Blackburn Rovers 'big talent' Adam Wharton | Lancashire Telegraph

He has since made 12 first-team appearances for the club, scoring his first goal in October’s win over Birmingham City, but he hasn’t been used in the last three league games since being replaced at half time of the league cup at West Ham. There Tomasson felt the teenager struggled with the intensity, and stressed his work out of possession remain is a part of his game that is a work in progress.

He added: “He’s taken extremely good steps getting Championship minutes, starts in the Championship and in the cup against West Ham, so he’s making steps and we’re improving him the whole time. On the ball, I’ve told you many times, he’s extremely good, but as a footballer you don’t have the ball at your feet all the time. He’s working hard on that. He’s a young player who’s done a lot in a short period and we’re doing a lot to try and improve him.”

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, roverandout said:

He's shown he's more than physically up to the challenge.  Some of his tackling has been superb. He's also far better on the ball than Morton 

Still not sure why he doesn't even get on the subs bench for Birmingham. Or why he doesn't get to replace Morton for 5-10mins.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Neilbristol said:

Still not sure why he doesn't even get on the subs bench for Birmingham. Or why he doesn't get to replace Morton for 5-10mins.

My guess on the latter is it would remind everyone he should be playing ahead of Morton, increasing calls for his inclusion.

• Like 2