BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Hull City (h) 15/4/23 @ 19.45pm

49 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I got back home at midnight so too late to post.  Here goes today. I’ve always said with Rovers that you can tell after ten minutes what sort of performances you are going to get. After ten minutes of walking football were Hyam ,Carter, and Pears had a little kick about of their own I feared the worst. Was I wrong ? That was a truly dreadful performance. Nobody came out of it with any credit at all. Did their goalkeeper actually have a save to make all game ? This was a weakened Hull team who are roughly mid table at best and we needed a win desperately. Yet the keeper can wear the same kit for the next match un washed.

Play like that again and we won’t win another game. Play-offs, we’re having a laugh.

Like 99% of people I was scratching my head at the starting line up. Why change the 4-3-3 that served us well at Hudds ? I don’t get it. Travis and Morton haven’t got what it takes to run a game but a three with Wharton in there have. The subs were WAY too late, especially Wharton. A brave manager would have made changes at half time, not with ten minutes to go.

Another thing that worried me was when Hull had a go in the second half how easily they broke away. Indeed right from the 2nd half kick off they had a well worked move that cut us wide open. If they had a striker playing they must have scored at some point, they got into some good positions second half. Fair play to them, they didn’t rollover and die like some other mid table teams might have done. The dingles have the players to take advantage of opportunities like that.

I could on and on about how bad we were, I can’t think of one real plus on show last night. We didn’t look a well coached, well set up team last night, it was pretty much a shambles. We wouldn’t have scored if we’d played whilst midnight.

Scores 

Pears 6, Nothing much to do. Part of a real mix up in communication that nearly led to a disaster.

JRC 6, Not his normal self, maybe he was tired after playing Hudds on his own in midweek.

Carter 6, OK, not great. Has too much to do when JRC goes down field.

Hyam 5, Looked shaky, as though he doesn’t enjoy the tip tappy keep ball game.

Pickering 6, OK, every team targets him with the high ball.

Travis 6, Tried hard as usual  but not really effective going forward.

Morton 5, Not mobile enough for me and no real presence in centre field.

Dolan 6, Put in the effort as usual but missed a real sitter. At the least he should have worked the keeper.

Szmodics 5, Works hard but for me he’s playing above his ability level. Too many poor first touches.

Gallagher 4, A truly awful performance. He’s gone backwards to the point he’s no longer capable of playing at this level or possibly the one below.

Brererton 4, Another really poor performance. Has he got a brain ? Their right back was running back towards his own corner flag with absolutely nowhere to go. What does BBD do - push him in the back ! ! Problem solved for the right back instantly.

Subs 

Hedges 6, Look bright for me and I like to see his left foot on the left. Put in a good cross that just eluded Leonard, who incidentally, was the only Rovers player in the box at that shit or bust moment !

Thomas 4, Every cross was easily dealt with apart from that greedy shot into the side netting.

Wharton and Leonard - hard to score off 10 minutes but both did good things in that time.

Good post Tyrone. Like Bankend Rover though, I thought we started okay. It didn’t last too long. It soon reverted to the heart in the mouth stuff where we start playing keep ball in our own area. It isn’t a matter of if we’ll cock up, it’s a matter of when. It happened a few times but luckily we got away with it.
Like Mercer said as well, JDT’s explanation of his team selection was total bollocks. He’s really being too clever, putting too much emphasis on complicated tactical schemes when surely, if he steps back, it’s obvious that that particular team selection just doesn’t work.

Main picks.

Morton… he’s there to be the link between defence and attack.  He’s defensively lacking and creates nothing. He just doesn’t contribute enough and never will.

Hyam…. Looks very uncomfortable with this tippy tippy approach. 

Brereton….. for a while now we’ve been better off without him.

Gallagher….. aargh. I don’t see a single thing that he brings to a team. Nothing. He’s a liability, makes us worse no matter how bad we are to start with.

Thomas….. looks like a third division winger to me. Pretty quick but nearly always takes the wrong option. It happened a number of times even in such a short time. Wouldn’t buy him in the summer.

Wharton…. Has the ability to cut teams open with one ball. He should be playing far more minutes than he is.

I dont go along with the view that there’s no effort. I think there’s plenty of that. It’s the balance of the squad and the lack of quality players in key positions that’s the problem in my view.

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Didn't he just say that we needed to be more clinical in front of goal? Which was a pretty accurate reflection of the match (and sadly the season).

I don't think he's ever criticised the players. Not that you should alienate players but at least speak the truth 

56 minutes ago, roverandout said:

I don't think he's ever criticised the players. Not that you should alienate players but at least speak the truth 

JDT after the match:

“I think if you look at the game, we did enough to win it but we lost quality in our finishing. We took too many touches instead of just shooting at the goal. The decision-making in the last third (was poor)"

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Were they booed off?

I mean don't get me wrong, the Ewood crowd would boo their nan, but I don't recall any booing? They jeered / cheered when Brereton-Diaz was hooked, which was telling. 

I heard a few boos around me when the whistle went.

Edited by RoversTilliDie
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Really need a consistent champ level scorer next season. I’d take karlan grant 

And how do we afford his transfer fee WBA would want for a player with 3 years left on his contract plus his wage demands? 

We have to find a quality striker in the European market that we an sign that suits how JDT wants to play

14 hours ago, Aqualung said:

I'd take a punt on Gyorkes from Coventry if they would be willing to sell him. 

Bradshaw from Millwall knows where the back of the net is aswell. 

do we have 15 million plus to sign him? 

13 hours ago, Neilbristol said:

Reckon we would do anything differently if we even make play offs? Starting to lose faith now! We should have won tonight but we can't score. Why gally plays up top instead of Leonard ? Gally isn't a no.9. Leonard is

Why lost faith when we are still in the playoffs place/6th? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Neilbristol said:

Coventry won't sit deep so we won't have the low blocks to blame. They will be looking to win to leap above us. 

But Coventry's approach should actually help us in the attacking sense as they will be more space to play in

5 hours ago, arbitro said:

Have we actually scored from a corner this season? I can't remember any. Sky out a graphic up on Friday during the Middlesbrough v Norwich match and I think there were several teams who had or were close to double figures in goals from corners.

Hyam against Watford but overall our corners are not good enough and weren't we looking for Set pieces coach which I don't know if we ever appoint someone to that role? 

4 hours ago, Commondore said:

Dolan's miss from that Brereton direct pass is near unforgivable, an attacking winger/forward has to be able to fold his body and put a chance like that in the far corner barring a great save.  

Dolan's miss was mistake and a very bad miss by him

4 hours ago, BankEnd Rover said:

It was defiantly the lack of options as to why we couldn’t play it out from the back. 3 in the middle helps the back 4 but also brings the best out of Morton. I’ve slightly calmed down now but it was unforgivable form JDT to switch it back after such a dominating performance.
Im hearing comments on A Wharton from the manager about his Defence duties. If you stick him in a 3 then we have the 2 others to clean up after him - It’s really that simple!  A Wharton has the ability to split defences open, we just cannot afford to have him sat on the bench. There is no excuse to dropping him!

I’m hoping the manager sees light on the next game, we MUST have a midfield 3 otherwise Coventry will tear us apart, their CMs are some of the best in the league. 

He wanted to play an extra attacking player so Gallagher came in for Wharton

11 minutes ago, RoversTilliDie said:

Since we beat Sheffield United at Ewood,  we have picked up 2pts out of 15. We need to go on a winning run, or our season will be derailed.

Exactly 

13 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

And how do we afford his transfer fee WBA would want for a player with 3 years left on his contract plus his wage demands? 

We have to find a quality striker in the European market that we an sign that suits how JDT wants to play

See above

3 hours ago, K-Hod said:

I just don’t get why we won’t shoot. I know we’re awful, but Christ, no shots, no goals etc. Has anyone told JDT or any of our players that goals win matches?

JDT mentioned it his post match comments about the lack of shooting. 

Players should have been shooting more whether its Travis, Dolan or even Morton. Just have a shot. 

3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I got back home at midnight so too late to post.  Here goes today. I’ve always said with Rovers that you can tell after ten minutes what sort of performances you are going to get. After ten minutes of walking football were Hyam ,Carter, and Pears had a little kick about of their own I feared the worst. Was I wrong ? That was a truly dreadful performance. Nobody came out of it with any credit at all. Did their goalkeeper actually have a save to make all game ? This was a weakened Hull team who are roughly mid table at best and we needed a win desperately. Yet the keeper can wear the same kit for the next match un washed.

Our movement wasn't good enough and the tempo is overall too slow but the players in front of Hyam and Carter need to move more and make runs which at times they don't resulting in slow walking football

2 hours ago, RoversTilliDie said:

Rovers were booed off last night rightly so, but other teams around us are showing nerves slipping up.You could say it's a point gained on the day, were a point clear of 7th with a game in hand on 4 of our rivals. We need to get it right on the training ground and bring it to Ewood.

I didn't hear any boos myself apart from when BBD was read out before the gam

2 hours ago, Miller11 said:

Tomasson’s post match comments have pissed me off even more than I already was. I can’t recall a single time when he has come out after one of our many dreadful performances, held his hands up and acknowledged he got it wrong.

This, along with the fact he seems reluctant to make glaringly necessary changes until it’s far too late, suggest a massive arrogant streak. 

I don't think our overall performance was dreadful but his comments about the lack of quality in the final third was spot on

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

JDT after the match:

“I think if you look at the game, we did enough to win it but we lost quality in our finishing. We took too many touches instead of just shooting at the goal. The decision-making in the last third (was poor)"

I bet he is personally frustrated. Can we not sub him on

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

JDT after the match:

A good summation from the manager. 

Far too many times, especially late on, players weren't brave enough to shoot. Hull never looked like winning it. 

Dolan's miss in the first half proved costly.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well because he is out of favour at wba who have already said they will be bringing in a forward in the summer meaning he will be available. 4-5 mill will net him. We aren’t going to get a proven striker from  europe at this price 

Edited by Bbrovers2288

1 minute ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Well because he is out of favour at wba who have already said they will be bringing in a forward in the summer meaning he will be available. 4-5 mill will net him. We aren’t going to get a proven striker from  europe at this price 

Tomasson said the other day that its loans and frees.

Shocking display and Tomasson got plenty wrong. Wrong team selection, Gallagher on the wing and Dolan up front again didnt work and why Wharton was dropped I do not know. Subs made too late and we wouldn't have scored if we were still playing now.

Brereton was crap but Gallagher and Dolan were just as bad, although they dont have moves lined up.

21 hours ago, roverinmontreal said:

At home against a lower half team… surely this is exactly the game you’d want Adam Wharton for. I can see us huffing and puffing and not creating much and getting really frustrated and nervous. 

Couldn’t watch the game live so I stayed offline until I could watch it. Just finished and yeah… I guess this happened ⬆️

I’m one of jdt’s biggest fans, but how come we all knew this was going to happen (apart from @Sweaty Gussets) but jdt didn’t didn’t? But then also why oh why oh why wait that late to change it? Baffling. 

33 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

JDT has already said its will be free transfers and loans if we are still in the championship next season. Said it in his Thursday press conference. 

Here 3 strikers from Europe who are available on a free. 

Dawid Kownacki from Fortuna Düsseldorf

Josh Maja from Bordeaux

Rhys Healey from Toulouse  

28 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Shocking display and Tomasson got plenty wrong. Wrong team selection, Gallagher on the wing and Dolan up front again didnt work and why Wharton was dropped I do not know. Subs made too late and we wouldn't have scored if we were still playing now.

Brereton was crap but Gallagher and Dolan were just as bad, although they dont have moves lined up.

Yet Sky Sports gave Dolan the man of the match award? 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

JDT has already said its will be free transfers and loans if we are still in the championship next season. Said it in his Thursday press conference. 

Here 3 strikers from Europe who are available on a free. 

Dawid Kownacki from Fortuna Düsseldorf

Josh Maja from Bordeaux

Rhys Healey from Toulouse  

Yet Sky Sports gave Dolan the man of the match award? 

Bizarre judgement. He was rubbish.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Bizarre judgement. He was rubbish.

He was the best of a bad bunch, bar his awful miss, he was good on the ball and kept the tempo going unlike the rest…Dolan has always been let down by his finishing, if he had any end product we would have a player on our hands…

Edited by BankEnd Rover

9 hours ago, BigBar said:

Think it was Lee Hendrie or another pundit last night who rightly shut down JDTs post match comments about "no one expected us to be up here, we are not expected to be given our financial situation" or something to that affect. Hendrie pointed out we are no worse off than the likes of Millwall or Luton. It's a drum JDTs has banged this season, it's not a case of taking pressure off, it's sending a message of "we are lucky to be where we are" and lowering expectations and not having a positive affect on the players. "Don't worry lads we shouldn't be near the dizzy heights of 6th, just keep passing it about and stick to my total football plan"

JDT is bigging up his CV, actually I don't fault him for doing so even though it's self serving.

But, in this game he fecked up personnel wise and tactically.

4 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

JDT is bigging up his CV, actually I don't fault him for doing so even though it's self serving.

But, in this game he fecked up personnel wise and tactically.

In alot of games pal. There is alot of unconvincing wins and alot of damning soul destroying defeats. Why people think he will go onto bigger and better things is beyond me. I can't see him being a success in England in the long run.

• Like 2