BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Hull City (h) 15/4/23 @ 19.45pm

19 minutes ago, Hasta said:

Bollocks. He wasn’t a premier league striker but was always a handful at this level.

He was fucking terrible. Managed 9 goals at this level for us over two season, and before you say other players were ahead of him like Jansen and Bent, there was a big reason for that. Lazy, couldn't be arsed, plodded about.  I remember his main contribution as coming on as a sub, then rugby tackling the oppo keeper while we scored. A big waste of money.

When he played for Bolton I remember saying to the bloke next to me, what a donkey he is, he only goes at one pace. I'm glad we don't have to watch that every week. Then during Hodgson's nervous breakdown, he signed him for £4m.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

My thoughts we created one great chance in the game for Dolan and we got into several good areas to shoot or even put a ball in or cross the box and failed to do so. Disappointed with players not willing to shoot like Travis, etc on the edge of the box. Just shoot please. Dolan should have scored and why BBD just didn't pass to Pickering when he overlap him in a similar situation to the SHeff Utd one where Pickering scored and won Goal of the month I just don't know

I didn't why you picked Gallagher then play him wide right. Surely Thomas would have been better to provide some width and pace. Thought JDT was far too late with his subs and Leonard should have come on 25 mins early same as Thomas and probably Hedges. Gallagher, BBD and Dolan can't have any complains at being sub either. 

Now back to 6th with tonight point so not the result we all wanted but still in 6th place and its in our hands to get this playoff spot. 5 games left now. 

Szmodics deserved his MOTM tonight. Was our best player 

I didn't understand Hull and Darlow time wasting in the game when Hull are safe and nothing to play for. Bizarre to be honest

Now on the Coventry game on Wednesday night

Szmodics worked hard but once again, missed some of our better chances without even forcing a save from the keeper. Szmodics, Gallagher, BBD, Dolan, Thomas, Morton, Travis, not a goal threat between them 🙈

We're actually in a stronger position league wise than we were this morning, and there's a game less to play. 

Nervous for Wednesday now, but as someone earlier said, Coventry will definitely have to come at us. Win that game and it probably puts them out of it. 

I can't actually believe we're still in there, maybe we're just destined. 

2 minutes ago, M_B said:

We're actually in a stronger position league wise than we were this morning, and there's a game less to play. 

Nervous for Wednesday now, but as someone earlier said, Coventry will definitely have to come at us. Win that game and it probably puts them out of it. 

I can't actually believe we're still in there, maybe we're just destined. 

We most certainly are not. 
Same position in the league but now 5 teams are within 3 points of us. 
We could literally be 11th with defeat to Coventry. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Penwortham Blue said:

Szmodics worked hard but once again, missed some of our better chances without even forcing a save from the keeper. Szmodics, Gallagher, BBD, Dolan, Thomas, Morton, Travis, not a goal threat between them 🙈

Dolan missed a great chance first half and seen it back now I just don't why he choose that finish. 

BBD not playing in Pickering twice to either shoot or play the ball in the box was Mind boggling. 

Gallagher not controlling the ball and not finishing a another great opportunity gone. 

Thomas or Hedges not making the keeper made a save either

Well was it worth my 6 hour drive down, not a chance. 

I will start with a positive- I thought szmodics was decent and tried to get us forward. I thought jrc was good until he ran out of gas.

now the negatives.

so frustrating to watch us play it around at the back and constantly make mistakes. We aren’t good enough to do this. Was having kittens every time they done this. Plus it slows us right down and shows no urgency. 

hyam looks nervous, I don’t know if he is just knackered but he needs some bench time. 

pears doesn’t command the back, there was a near monumental mix up because there was just no communication , I was listening he didn’t bark orders all night, time for kaminski to come back in. 

morton- not good enough, set pieces were wasteful.

travis- when he is good he is great but too often he doesn’t offer anything, he has a shot on him but seems reluctant to pull the trigger. Also ballsed up some very good opportunities to cross the ball , clearly another aspect of his game that’s lacking. I’m sorry to say I think he needs replaced next season. 

gallagher- Iv tried to defend him but he is never going to be a top striker, there is just no desire to make runs to get space or attack crosses. Far too many times we played crosses and nobody was near it. 

diaz- awful. You can go to Spain just now, also dives a lot. Detrimental to the team just now

dolan- stop trying to do tricks and flicks and just do the basics like hitting the back of the net. 

thomas- don’t think he is going to worth whatever fee Huddersfield want, looks like he might be good but doesn’t do it. 

jdt- I want to have total confidence in you but I’m still unconvinced in all honesty. Team shape was all wrong , overloading the right side, players not looking up and switching play to the players in space, everyone alriund me could see it but you couldn’t. Also team was wrong and subs too late. Have we just been lucky to be where we are due to a poor championship this season. Jury still out for me . 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Waggy76 said:

Hyam is a good defender , unfortunately he is being asked to play far to many ridiculous passes to Carter 5yards away from him...The ball is like a red hot potato to him...Let him defend !!!

Hyam can play with ball but other Rovers players need to move quickly and created space and opportunity for the passes. Plus our tempo at times is too slow 

Diaz and Gallagher aren't even getting any chances to miss, pointless them being on the pitch at he minute. Both have poor feet too. Good luck to Villareal, he is looking a dud. Travis is being asked to do things he doesn't have the quality to do and is finding himself in positions up the pitch he isn't comfortable in. JDT not quite getting it right at the minute with his tactics, starting XI and subs. A lot of games recently could and should have been changed at half time or just after.

We didn't control the game in the middle of the pitch today, or far enough up it and that's due to a lack of bodies in midfield and a hiding Tyler Morton. Why have so little in there and a bunch of out of form forwards still on the pitch?!?

It does NOT work with Morton and Travis, or what is essentially often Morton on his own in the middle not wanting the ball.

It's another game where we didn't need Gallagher, Travis, Brereton or a misfiring Dolan on the pitch for so long! Hull were crap, had players missing and were there for the taking. It's a terrible result.

We gifted them a point with another bad setup at home.

Admittedly the manager doesn't have a lot to work with but he isn't making brave calls and we're bottling it.

Wharton, Hedges and Thomas on earlier or a change of shape when the game was still open and I'm confident we'd have won it.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, superniko said:

We most certainly are, we were 6th courtesy of goal difference this morning, we're now 6th by a point,and there's a game less to play. 

How is that not stronger compared to this morning? 

18 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Dismal and demoralising display. A pathetic performance that feels like a loss.

We found a way to cover for Morton’s weaknesses and play to his strengths against Huddersfield. He’s been consistently poor in a midfield two for ages, so why revert back to that.

We put in our best attacking performance in ages when Gallagher was nowhere near the pitch, yet today he’s back in and plays over 80 minutes despite being completely useless.

Hyam has gone well off the boil - crap today. In fact most of them were.

I don't agree that it feels like a loss or that it was a dismal display. We were well in control.

It all harks back to January when we didn't sign a striker - we're just not clinical in the final third.

We, once again, created a hatful of chances (from memory): Dolan's 1-on-1 miss, Gallagher failing to control a pass from JRC (I think?) when he was clean through on goal, Thomas firing into the side netting twice rather than squaring it, JRC firing a ball across the goalline, Hedges firing a ball across the 6 yard box that Leonard just missed, Brereton-Diaz 'baby-legging' it rather than passing to the overlapping Pickering (or y'know, hitting the ball properly) etc etc

If you go ahead in that game it's a romp - they came for a draw and got it. 

Broughton (and JDT if he stays) has got a big job in the summer shifting on some of this squad and replacing them with quality. The nucleus is there for a strong promotion push, but we need goal scorers. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, superniko said:

Looking at the teams directly below us and who they are playing, we probably will be.

• Like 1

Speaking of annoying - I nearly rushed the pitch when their #20 (I think) sprinted back onto the pitch to close our player down after being down for 3+ minutes with a 'facial injury' right at the end. I was apoplectic. 

The refs in this league are just awful. I don't know how they look themselves in the mirror. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, superniko said:

In any case, if we manage to scrape last place in the 6, we'll go into the play-offs with the worst form of any.

The points thrown away this season--makes you weep. The only thing we have going for us is our game in hand and you can say that since we have to play Burnley we might as well not have one!

3 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

id`e start wharton over morton on wednesday,the young players are only going to get better by playing,id`e be tempted to play leonard as well,to many passes tonight,trying to score the perfect goal,bloody gallagher was worse than useless

The problem is there isn't a big CF to aim for, or really someone that's going to bang one in from range - so they almost have to try and pass it into the back of the net. It's painful to watch.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ghost7 said:

Diaz and Gallagher aren't even getting any chances to miss, pointless them being on the pitch at he minute. Both have poor feet too. Good luck to Villareal, he is looking a dud. Travis is being asked to do things he doesn't have the quality to do and is finding himself in positions up the pitch he isn't comfortable in. JDT not quite getting it right at the minute with his tactics, starting XI and subs. A lot of games recently could and should have been changed at half time or just after.

We didn't control the game in the middle of the pitch today, or far enough up it and that's due to a lack of bodies in midfield and a hiding Tyler Morton. Why have so little in there and a bunch of out of form forwards still on the pitch?!?

It does NOT work with Morton and Travis, or what is essentially often Morton on his own in the middle not wanting the ball.

It's another game where we didn't need Gallagher, Travis, Brereton or a misfiring Dolan on the pitch for so long! Hull were crap, had players missing and were there for the taking. It's a terrible result.

We gifted them a point with another bad setup at home.

Admittedly the manager doesn't have a lot to work with but he isn't making brave calls and we're bottling it.

Wharton, Hedges and Thomas on earlier or a change of shape when the game was still open and I'm confident we'd have won it.

I suspect they'll try to shift Travis on in the summer if they get a decent offer. He's not a good enough footballer to play CM in this system - they've already taken him out of the firing line by hiding him at RB / AMC when we have the ball. After the PNE debacle they simply don't trust him to take the ball with a man on his back. 

Just now, Exiled_Rover said:

The problem is there isn't a big CF to aim for, or really someone that's going to bang one in from range - so they almost have to try and pass it into the back of the net. It's painful to watch.

there were enough times when travis was in the perfect position for a shot,he insisted on trying to play the killer pass,we did`nt play badly,just chose the wrong options,an illustration of why we need 3/4 new players in the summer,better players make the right decisions more often

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, M_B said:

We most certainly are, we were 6th courtesy of goal difference this morning, we're now 6th by a point,and there's a game less to play. 

How is that not stronger compared to this morning? 

Because of the exact reason I quoted? Not sure where you don’t understand. From this morning, every team bar Preston gained on us (of which consequence Millwall pulled away instead)

I could also add we were 1/1 (50%) chance of top 6 this morning but now we’re 15/8 (35%) chance of top 6

Edited by superniko

14 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I don't agree that it feels like a loss or that it was a dismal display. We were well in control.

It all harks back to January when we didn't sign a striker - we're just not clinical in the final third.

We, once again, created a hatful of chances (from memory): Dolan's 1-on-1 miss, Gallagher failing to control a pass from JRC (I think?) when he was clean through on goal, Thomas firing into the side netting twice rather than squaring it, JRC firing a ball across the goalline, Hedges firing a ball across the 6 yard box that Leonard just missed, Brereton-Diaz 'baby-legging' it rather than passing to the overlapping Pickering (or y'know, hitting the ball properly) etc etc

If you go ahead in that game it's a romp - they came for a draw and got it. 

Broughton (and JDT if he stays) has got a big job in the summer shifting on some of this squad and replacing them with quality. The nucleus is there for a strong promotion push, but we need goal scorers. 

Szmodics missed a good few opportunities as well, poor control when would have been through on keeper and a few poor shots.

Worst attack in the league. Teams have figured out all Diaz wants to do is start wide cut in and shoot force him wide he’s lost. I don’t even have to explain Gallys level.  Hedges is afraid to shoot. Dolan and Szmodics can only score by punching the ball up front. Add to that between Morton and area not a one knows what to do going forward. 

6 minutes ago, Ghost7 said:

Why did Gallagher let a perfect ball over the top bounce? How perfect does a pass need to be for him to do something in front of goal? In fact I'm starting to think such a pass doesn't exist 🤯

twas a killer pass,any centre forward with a gram of ability would have brought it down and put it in the net,at this level chances don`t come much better than that

• Like 1