BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Dilan Markanday.. potential talent or ?

1 hour ago, philipl said:

Agreed.

He got himself out of trouble with great footwork after receiving Carter's hospital pass.

Then it all went wrong and was caught in possession when he attempted a dribble when he had options to pass or even Row Z on the halfway line.

His big learning from Saturday will be when the analysis boys show him how often his decision making was wrong. If he gets that sorted then I think the "too small, too lightweight" comments will fade away.

“ Decision making at speed under pressure “ is what separates the good players from the average ones. Some players learn from their mistakes and some don’t.

• Like 2

Think the goal makes up for a pretty average performance to be honest. Mixed bag from Dilan IMO, made a few poor errors executing basic passes back to JRC and played a large part in their goal. Took his goal well and had a spell around that time of neat footwork in the final third. I think he has  huge strides to make in his decision making and also executing some of the basics required during games. He simply cannot give the ball away as much as he did on Saturday.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Lancaster Rover said:

Think the goal makes up for a pretty average performance to be honest. Mixed bag from Dilan IMO, made a few poor errors executing basic passes back to JRC and played a large part in their goal. Took his goal well and had a spell around that time of neat footwork in the final third. I think he has  huge strides to make in his decision making and also executing some of the basics required during games. He simply cannot give the ball away as much as he did on Saturday.

The first time I saw him in the flesh I was surprised how small he was. Of course there have been lots of brilliant small players but they were all much more difficult to knock off the ball.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, BRFC4EVA said:

I'd far rather that DM got game time at the moment than Dolan. 

Very unlucky hitting the post tonight, should get more game time imo.

The problem is, Markanday would only get game time in a positon that he is no good at ; There is a reason he couldn't get a game, as a winger at Aberdeen . 

Edited by rigger

He was unlucky with that shot, he has some nous about him that others like Dolan seem to lack currently.

He's pretty lightweight though, quite easy to knock off the ball if the opposition have any physicality.

Sat on the Riverside last night and it was noticeable that he stayed fairly central and didn't pull out wide to offer something for us.

I thought when Leonard went off we suddenly lost a lot of running down the channels and movement in general.

Edited by Groundhog
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Groundhog said:

He was unlucky with that shot, he has some nous about him that others like Dolan seem to lack currently.

He's pretty lightweight though, quite easy to knock off the ball if the opposition have any physicality.

Sat on the Riverside last night and it was noticeable that he stayed fairly central and didn't pull out wide to offer something for us.

I thought when Leonard went off we suddenly lost a lot of running down the channels and movement in general.

Agree with that. He seems to want to come centrally. A few times last night I noticed him & Semir making the same runs leaving us with less options.

22 hours ago, windymiller7 said:

Agree with that. He seems to want to come centrally. A few times last night I noticed him & Semir making the same runs leaving us with less options.

That is because Markanday is not a winger, he is far more effective through the center. Markandays problem is that we already have better players than him, such as Szmodic, for the central role. I think Markanday needs U21 games in his favoured position, and let's see what he can offer.

Edited by rigger
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, rigger said:

That is because Markanday is not a winger, he is far more effective through the center. Markandays problem is that we already have better players than him, such as Szmodic, for the central role. I think Markanday needs U21 games in his favoured position, and let's see what he can offer.

I thought you felt his best position would be as striker? He doesn't have the game reading or creative skills to slot into the 'number 10' role.

29 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I thought you felt his best position would be as striker? He doesn't have the game reading or creative skills to slot into the 'number 10' role.

I think Markanday best position would be as one of a pair of central strikers. He simply has none of the requirement of a winger.

Edited by rigger

5 hours ago, rigger said:

I think Markanday best position would be as one of a pair of central strikers. He simply has none of the requirement of a winger.

I can't remember the last time we played two out and out strikers. At least not for more than the odd game. So I think we can just rule out him playing that role.

11 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I can't remember the last time we played two out and out strikers. At least not for more than the odd game. So I think we can just rule out him playing that role.

I have already stated that I don't think Markanday is good emough to force his way into our first team with the system that we play. What I stated was that up front in a pair, is what I would say is Markandays best position. Not whether we would ever play him there. By the way, that might be a workable plan B. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, rigger said:

I have already stated that I don't think Markanday is good emough to force his way into our first team with the system that we play. What I stated was that up front in a pair, is what I would say is Markandays best position. Not whether we would ever play him there. By the way, that might be a workable plan B. 

Think you are spot on. Can't see where he fit in this system, unless you let him play off a striker drifting around the box. I do like him as a sub option, as he is one of the few with some finishing skills. Pretty sharp at creating space for himself in the box to get a shot off. His shooting and finishing is at least up there at this club. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Have to say he was seriously good last night. His shot of course set up the goal but that dribble past at least 5 Newcastle players was one of my highlights of the night.

Fingers crossed he takes this form forward now. 

• Like 6

He was great when he came on, I'll hold my hands up, in every other game he's come on as a sub I've always sank in my seat, it felt like nothing would be created but he proved me wrong last night. 

As Lancaster Rover said, he seemed to come inside more and be more direct, rather than hugging the wing, prepared to link up more. Maybe it's the fact the pressure was off and the whole team had raised their game, I don't know, but he needs to adopt the role of "super sub" and actually come on and hurt teams rather than just make up the numbers.

That shot that lead to the goal was unreal, no backlift, crazy the amount of pace he got on it, very unlucky not to score. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Groundhog said:

He was great when he came on, I'll hold my hands up, in every other game he's come on as a sub I've always sank in my seat, it felt like nothing would be created but he proved me wrong last night. 

As Lancaster Rover said, he seemed to come inside more and be more direct, rather than hugging the wing, prepared to link up more. Maybe it's the fact the pressure was off and the whole team had raised their game, I don't know, but he needs to adopt the role of "super sub" and actually come on and hurt teams rather than just make up the numbers.

That shot that lead to the goal was unreal, no backlift, crazy the amount of pace he got on it, very unlucky not to score. 

He's always looked like a L2  player when he's played for us before last night. He's useless out wide - he's far too small and slow to trouble FBs. 

I've said for a while that he's a #10 - if you watch the players warm up he's easily our best finisher. Maybe the 3-4-2-1 that Eustace seems to favour will allow him to play more centrally to show what he can actually do. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Lancaster Rover said:

Markanday was very direct last night, every time he got the ball down he looked to run at them in straight lines and commit them. It was a joy to see, if he can carry that through he’d be a handful. 

Yep he looked great when he came on 

1 hour ago, Exiled_Rover said:

He's always looked like a L2  player when he's played for us before last night. He's useless out wide - he's far too small and slow to trouble FBs. 

I've said for a while that he's a #10 - if you watch the players warm up he's easily our best finisher. Maybe the 3-4-2-1 that Eustace seems to favour will allow him to play more centrally to show what he can actually do. 

Yeh for sure. Maybe he will be in that position more now JE knows how to play him and knows his strengths..

He's our player so let's get behind him. 

We can get behind a few loanees so we can definitely get behind one of our own players. 

Hopefully he will kick on from here 

• Like 1

He was unreal yesterday, if he was a foot taller and worked on his defensive duties then he would be a big talent.

His directness last night is something we've missed all season - Like others have said, he should be played more central or at least, if he's on the flanks, to come inside more.

Markanday and Dolan have their difference and with the latter being better at pressing and less lightweight....this is what starts him ahead of Markanday. Otherwise if you look at ball carrying and shooting DM is much much better - I'd say he's got the neatest touches in the team and clearly has a wand of a left foot.