BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Dilan Markanday.. potential talent or ?

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/23460385.dilan-markanday-returned-blackburn-rovers-amid-disappointing-loan/

Hi all 

Considering our lack in goal threat over the past few weeks (months) seeing this article makes me sad! This kid was brought in, got injured and we've never seen his potential. He's now out on loan and not getting game time. Has he got the potential for our club? Will jdt and the staff bring him back and consider him a new signing in the summer ready for a new season or ? Will he live up to the potential that he showed at spurs or will he live up to the reason why they let him go? 

I thought he looked alright in the couple of League Cup games I saw him play in, and he was actually one of the better players v Forest. But there must be a reason that he'll be 22 at the start of next season and has barely kicked a ball in senior football.

Edited by frosty
  • Like 2

I took a brief glance at an Aberdeen FC forum (woof, if you think the quality of posts on BRFCS can be bad🙂) and they seemed a bit baffled by the signing at the time. Apparently they already had a surplus of wingers and Markanday was probably a panic signing amid a horrid Dec-Jan (including back-to-back 5-0 and 6-0 losses at the end of January), falling out of the top 6 (having earlier been 3rd), and sacking the manager.

They've since gone on a 7-0-2 run and are back in 3rd. So, it's looking like a bad loan and it's never a good sign when a player can't break into the starting 11 in the SPL, but it also seems like an odd/unfortunate bit of circumstances for Markanday as he joined just when they started rolling and there hasn't even been much opportunity to come on as an attacking sub.

Edited by RoverCanada
  • Like 1

Odd bunch those lot at Aberdeen - i've seen a few comments about Markanday along the lines of "He can't be very good, he's even behind Ryan Hedges in the pecking order at Blackburn".

Ryan Hedges was their best player by a distance when they had him 🤣

Edited by TheRevAshton
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Sending him out on loan to Aberdeen was a massive mistake. He’s barely kicked a ball for them. At the least he could have been down here helping the U-21’s stay in their league.

Being played on the right wing he wasn't even showing much for the U21s. The only time he looked dangerous was when he played through the middle.

There's definitely talent there. He's just physically weak, both in terms of strength and endurance. I'd wager he needs to improve his knowledge of what to do during certain in game situations as well. 

I think he's worth keeping hold of, but he really needs to focus on those two aspects. Extra time in the gym after training and really listening to what is being asked of him on the pitch. 

Maybe an acceptance that he's not going to be in the first team any time soon and just focusing on increasing his weak areas little by little. If he does that, then given his ability, he could be in the first team squad midway through next season. But it's going to be a slow process.

18 minutes ago, 47er said:

After JRC I'm not game to write any player off! However things aren't looking great for Markanday right now and you have to wonder why we got him.

Because our recruitment department is not very good.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, 47er said:

After JRC I'm not game to write any player off! However things aren't looking great for Markanday right now and you have to wonder why we got him.

This is my thoughts. Maybe things can change with a bit of coaching, good luck and a run in the side?

3 hours ago, frosty said:

I thought he looked alright in the couple of League Cup games I saw him play in, and he was actually one of the better players v Forest. But there must be a reason that he'll be 22 at the start of next season and has barely kicked a ball in senior football.

How did he fare? Was he out on the wings or attacking mf? Can't see why we would loan him out if we didn't bring anyone in during Jan. Surely keep him and train him.. Could he have made the squad this season?

Feel for him as the move to Rovers has been nothing short of a nightmare.

At the time this seemed like an exciting signing as he was getting rave reviews from Spurs and if I recall they had offered him a new contract. Clearly talented but at 22 in a few months I'm struggling to see how he gets into our XI, especially when JDT doesn't seem to rate him.

I saw him live at West Ham in the League cup and he missed a sitter early on. Looked totally shot of confidence and didn5't make any impact in that game (a game where Jack Vale scored......).

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Neilbristol said:

This is my thoughts. Maybe things can change with a bit of coaching, good luck and a run in the side?

How did he fare? Was he out on the wings or attacking mf? Can't see why we would loan him out if we didn't bring anyone in during Jan. Surely keep him and train him.. Could he have made the squad this season?

He was lucky to be making the U21s squad never mind the first team. I would take Sam Burns above Markanday at the moment. He may improve in the future, have the Rovers got the time to take that risk ?

Edited by rigger
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Trinidad Rover said:

Feel for him as the move to Rovers has been nothing short of a nightmare.

At the time this seemed like an exciting signing as he was getting rave reviews from Spurs and if I recall they had offered him a new contract. Clearly talented but at 22 in a few months I'm struggling to see how he gets into our XI, especially when JDT doesn't seem to rate him.

I saw him live at West Ham in the League cup and he missed a sitter early on. Looked totally shot of confidence and didn5't make any impact in that game (a game where Jack Vale scored......).

thats interesting. confidence seems to be the biggest thing. amazing that he is 22 too. must be hard being leaving spurs, any ideas why they got rid if they offered a contract? he wanted playing time? he isnt getting it if so..

3 hours ago, davulsukur said:

I won't write him off but it doesn't look to promising if he barely gets a game for Aberdeen and we obviously didn't deem it worth him sticking around here. 

He's not been training under JDT and the team so a JRC burst of improvement seems unlikely for a while yet.

Question is why did they decide to loan him out?

1 hour ago, Neilbristol said:

Question is why did they decide to loan him out?

Because they were bringing in a centre forward, screwed it up and by that time they'd already let Markanday go.

O'Brien and that young lad from Rochdale weren't the only f*** ups.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, booth said:

Because they were bringing in a centre forward, screwed it up and by that time they'd already let Markanday go.

They shouldn't have let him go until they had secured the tsf in which they left till late.. so they had already decided to ship him out instead of keep him in the squad for development. He could have been trained by JDTs staff and played reserves.. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, booth said:

Markanday is nowhere near our first team. If he hadn't been loaned out, even though we did not get another forward, he would have been lucky to hold down a place in the U21s. Leonard, Vale, Burns, and Walker would be ahead of him at U21s level.  

Edited by rigger