BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Dilan Markanday.. potential talent or ?

On the defensive side there was one particular passage of play where he battled Burn for the ball over 20 yards, it was obviously a duel he was destine to lose but he stuck at it, delayed him and did his job for the team. Something we've not seen before. To be fair he wasn't the only one, they all seemed much more willing to engage in duels last night rather than closing down and pressing without initiating contact

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lancaster Rover said:

On the defensive side there was one particular passage of play where he battled Burn for the ball over 20 yards, it was obviously a duel he was destine to lose but he stuck at it, delayed him and did his job for the team. Something we've not seen before. To be fair he wasn't the only one, they all seemed much more willing to engage in duels last night rather than closing down and pressing without initiating contact

Siggy was the only one who was going through the motions when it came to pressing.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, tomphil said:

Was tremendous last night the best iv'e seen him here looked a lot stronger and more direct than usual.

Still think he's best used as an impact sub.

He always turns up for cup games. As soon as he gets a chance in the league he looks poor again.

Hopefully JE can get him playing well in the league, as he showed what he's capable of on Tuesday. 

• Like 2

To see the best of Markanday, I think we'd have to play him in the #10 role. 

Unfortunately, not sure he'll ever get that chance.

He's too slow and lightweight out wide when marked specifically by a full back. But when he finds space, he has good technical ability and a great strike on him.

It's a shame he didn't get the chance (for whatever reason) to showcase his ability when on loan in Scotland.

Edited by jones_rover
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, jones_rover said:

To see the best of Markanday, I think we'd have to play him in the #10 role. 

Unfortunately, not sure he'll ever get that chance.

He's too slow and lightweight out wide when marked specifically by a full back. But when he finds space, he has good technical ability and a great strike on him.

It's a shame he didn't get the chance (for whatever reason) to showcase his ability when on loan in Scotland.

Markanday would be an ideal replacement off the bench for Szmodic if he tires.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, davulsukur said:

He always turns up for cup games. As soon as he gets a chance in the league he looks poor again.

Hopefully JE can get him playing well in the league, as he showed what he's capable of on Tuesday. 

Looked better more central or drifting in from the right, he's another modern day winger who isn't really a winger.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Wouldn't get a kick, he's useless.  Like a shit Dolan and that's some insult.

Fair enough, if that is your opinion of Markanday, but I disagree.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Upside Down said:

If he plays more central and can bang a couple in then that might be the kick start he needs

Let's see if JE supports him too. He said we need all the squad players and used him over telalovic so let's see maybe this is a turning point for the lad. He's one of ours so let's get behind him and give him the support he needs

• Like 2

7 hours ago, rigger said:

Fair enough, if that is your opinion of Markanday, but I disagree.

He's had about an hours first team football in 2 years , think that says everything really. Aberdeen wouldn't play him....

You've got yer blue and white dreamy specs on....

17 hours ago, Upside Down said:

If he plays more central and can bang a couple in then that might be the kick start he needs

I think he'd have shown that in training or in loan at Aberdeen by now someone would have let him go there....

I've nowt against him but crikey he's a futsal player at best

Edited by Sparks Rover

14 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

He's had about an hours first team football in 2 years , think that says everything really. Aberdeen wouldn't play him....

You've got yer blue and white dreamy specs on....

Markanday has always played for the Rovers out of his best position, because that is where Smodic plays. As for his loan to Aberdeen, again he was tried as a winger, which he certainly isn't. Markanday has very little pace, or any other atributes required of a winger. What he does have is an eye for good movement, and a good shot, both of which are ideal for a central attacker. Bye the way you don't have to have any form of tinted specs to see a players best position. But 50 years of playing and watching football does help.

18 minutes ago, philipl said:

Much as Dolan has improved, Markanday makes better decisions and I would start him in preference to Dolan.

Not sure that either of those things are true. Markanday's decision making is terrible, even in his cameo today his decisions at least twice in the final third ruined promising attacks.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, philipl said:

Much as Dolan has improved, Markanday makes better decisions and I would start him in preference to Dolan.

He was awful again today. He's such a bad athlete he makes Dolan look quick. 

I feel for him as he's being asked to play out wide in space, but he's just not a quality option off the bench for us in this league. 

• Like 1

This lad is shite — nowhere near the required quality for this level. Get rid, hopefully I don’t see him play for us again. 

• Like 3

On 01/03/2024 at 12:45, Sparks Rover said:

Actually, he's had 15 hours first team football just this season. 10 of them in the league. Last season he had a little under 8 hours first team football between us and Abderdeen. So you're only off by about a factor of 23.

On 03/03/2024 at 17:11, bluebruce said:

Actually, he's had 15 hours first team football just this season. 10 of them in the league. Last season he had a little under 8 hours first team football between us and Abderdeen. So you're only off by about a factor of 23.

And we are on the brink of relegation, go figure.....

47 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

And we are on the brink of relegation, go figure.....

I'm sure that's because we bring Markanday off the bench on occasion, yeh.

• Like 2

He reminds me of the occasional small, stocky Spanish player so-called winger that arrives in the Premier League and shows flashes but disappears and a few years down the road you hear of them scoring a worldie for Juventus.

Not to say he is that, at all, but to agree he’s not suited for playing out wide in our team in the Championship. No.10 is his position. The club might salvage something if they play him there and exploit his shooting and close control but not out wide.

Edited by riverholmes

11 hours ago, bluebruce said:

I'm sure that's because we bring Markanday off the bench on occasion, yeh.

No, it's the downgrading....last season he didn't play, this season he's getting a lot more minutes....this means we are shitter...more symbolic really....don't you see it?

Edited by Sparks Rover

Its nothing personal, but he’s a symptom of a football club that has completely lost the plot.

We had a ‘DoF’ model, we had a ‘model’ to ‘develop’ players and sell on for profit. We had a ‘model’ to play a certain style of football from the under 8s to the first team…

then we didn’t and we are now playing ‘prosaic’ football with 37 year olds and a bloke with a metal leg.

Where does this ‘confused’ club to turn a phrase end up? The third division.