BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Dilan Markanday.. potential talent or ?

Skilful but lacks the pace and physicality to beat defenders at this level. Being small and lightweight is a big problem for him because he doesn't have the aggression or footballing nous to compensate. He's here to fill a shirt - in a decent squad he wouldn't get a look in and would have been released or probably never signed in the first place

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Was really pleased for both Markanday and Eustace.

A bold sub decision which I was pleased to see and really paid off.

Moran would have been the obvious choice but we couldn't risk his defensive gaffes again.

Hope Dilan keeps his place. He deserves to after that performance.

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Serious question - did Markanday look better than Gilsenan in the U21s? 

Markanday was never really played in what I think is his best position (Through the center). What Markanday does have over Gilsenan is a powerful shot. If Szmodics were to leave, I would put his replacement in that position, in this order, Markanday, Sigurdsson, Gilsenan, Dolan. All of whom are being played as wingers, but have no aptitude to play there. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rigger said:

Markanday was never really played in what I think is his best position (Through the center). What Markanday does have over Gilsenan is a powerful shot. If Szmodics were to leave, I would put his replacement in that position, in this order, Markanday, Sigurdsson, Gilsenan, Dolan. All of whom are being played as wingers, but have no aptitude to play there. 

I’ve got high hopes for Gilsenan. He certainly has an eye for goal  I’m not in the doom and gloom squad if Sammi leaves. I hope he doesn’t go but if he does I believe we have other players that can and will step up.

I’d hope we could get in a striker to replace Gally. He’s just become a blunt instrument who is becoming injury prone. On that subject - Hedges is also injury prone, as is JRC. Pickering misses a few games. Luckily you can have 5 subs now but having to keep chopping and changing the team helps no one.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I’ve got high hopes for Gilsenan. He certainly has an eye for goal  I’m not in the doom and gloom squad if Sammi leaves. I hope he doesn’t go but if he does I believe we have other players that can and will step up.

I’d hope we could get in a striker to replace Gally. He’s just become a blunt instrument who is becoming injury prone. On that subject - Hedges is also injury prone, as is JRC. Pickering misses a few games. Luckily you can have 5 subs now but having to keep chopping and changing the team helps no one.

I'd like a first choice keeper, and one actual winger

• Like 2

I’ve always liked Markanday! Probably one of the best shooters in the team and has a very neat touch.

If he was a foot taller he’d be a great player! Yesterday he did a lot of defensive duties, which is what many have said he couldn’t do - I hope he shines, but agree with Rigger, he’d be more effective in a number 10. 

• Like 1

His decision making in the final third is still really poor and he struggles to impact games. Yesterday he impressed mainly for what he did off the ball, the whole team were very good off the ball led by the front 4 but Markanday in particular did some excellent work going back. I still remain massively unconvinced that he is up to standard at this level but I was impressed yesterday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BankEnd Rover said:

I’ve always liked Markanday! Probably one of the best shooters in the team and has a very neat touch.

If he was a foot taller he’d be a great player! Yesterday he did a lot of defensive duties, which is what many have said he couldn’t do - I hope he shines, but agree with Rigger, he’d be more effective in a number 10. 

If you watch the warm ups he's the best finisher in the squad.

He's just incredibly small, slow and weak. 

He needs to maintain something like that level of performance to be a serious first team contender.  Needs that side of his game to come out because the fancy stuff doesn't really work for him at this level, needs to be a grafter rather than luxury type player.

Wonder what he'd be like in Szmods position and if they are thinking of trying him there eventually ?

15 hours ago, tomphil said:

Young guy again still developing physically when he turned up and now looking a bit stronger.

I noticed on Sat that he does seem to have bulked up a bit.  Much better tracking back as well.  He's another player - like Dolan - that lacks that yard of pace to really be an attacking threat.  Certainly out wide. 

• Like 1

I've always seen the potential in Markanday, and he's starting to show us what he can do.

He seems much more comfortable at this level now, and lately has started to look visibly stronger, faster and more skilful.

Hope Gregg offers him an extra 3 years on similar terms at the earliest convenience, can see him having a blinder next season.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

End of the day incubation periods taking years is what we have to live with when ‘potential’ makes up a big chunk of our signings.

O’Riordan the latest example.

And as soon as they reach the required standard we give them away and we have to start all over again. It’s not sustainable.