BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Dilan Markanday.. potential talent or ?

5 hours ago, rigger said:

Markanday is nowhere near our first team. If he hadn't been loaned out, even though we did not get another forward, he would have been lucky to hold down a place in the U21s. Leonard, Vale, Burns, and Walker would be ahead of him at U21s level.  

Fair. I've never seen him play.

If he's that bad what's his future plans?

From what I've seen of Markanday he does have quite a lot of raw ability on the ball, and pace (something we really need). He can beat players when he gets one on one which is rare and valuable. But if he was going to make it you'd think he would have made an impression by now at U21 or on loan.

I suppose we can always hope for a Brereton / JRC like sudden transformation from no hoper into a Championship player. But it would be a brave man to bet on that.

He's got 2.5 years on his contract with Rovers so it's important for him and Rovers that he knuckles down and either forces his way into JDTs thoughts, or attracts decent loan interest. If he doesn't kick on drifting down to non league like so many young highly thought of players beckons.

Given our philosphy of blooding youngsters and our lack of options up front I hope he realises he's not going to find many better clubs to try and make it at. So he should give it everything when he comes back in the summer.

9 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

From what I've seen of Markanday he does have quite a lot of raw ability on the ball, and pace (something we really need). He can beat players when he gets one on one which is rare and valuable. But if he was going to make it you'd think he would have made an impression by now at U21 or on loan.

I suppose we can always hope for a Brereton / JRC like sudden transformation from no hoper into a Championship player. But it would be a brave man to bet on that.

He's got 2.5 years on his contract with Rovers so it's important for him and Rovers that he knuckles down and either forces his way into JDTs thoughts, or attracts decent loan interest. If he doesn't kick on drifting down to non league like so many young highly thought of players beckons.

Given our philosphy of blooding youngsters and our lack of options up front I hope he realises he's not going to find many better clubs to try and make it at. So he should give it everything when he comes back in the summer.

I can't think of any games that justify your first paragraph. The only thing I have seen from Markanday is a reasonable shooting ability. Very rarely have I seen him beat a player, as he seemed too weak and is easily knocked off the ball. From his wide position he almost always cuts inside, defenders find this out quickly, and just put their bodies in the way, he invariably looses the ball. I have seen better players released by the Rovers.

Edited by rigger
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Neilbristol said:

I agree however am wondering how will he improve if we keep shipping him off? Or if he gets no game time when on loan

He has to start by doing the same as any other player, by impressing in training and making the manager pick him. Whether that is our first or U21s manager, or his loan clubs manager.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, rigger said:

I can't think of any games that justify your first paragraph. The only thing I have seen from Markanday is a reasonable shooting ability. Very rarely have I seen him beat a player, as he seemed too weak and is easily knocked off the ball. From his wide position he almost always cuts inside, defenders find this out quickly, and just put their bodies in the way, he invariably looses the ball. I have seen better players released by the Rovers.

In the games hes played this season (West Ham, Bradford, Hartlepool, Forest, Rotherham) I watched I saw him beat a few players on the inside and outside. He is quick and has good feet.

Maybe my memory is failing me, but that is what I recall - I think a few on here will remember the same.

Do I think it was a loss when we loaned him out - not at all. But I can see a kernel of a player who could be useful next year.

• Like 2

Bloody frustrating that nobody still has any idea whether he's gonna make it or not as hasn't had a run of games. When loaning him out he needed to be playing 90 mims sat-wed in mens football. Whether that be Scotland or league 1, just needed to be the right club. But of course it's Rovers so we get it horribly wrong. 

I don't see how people can't see any talent, pretty much every u21 game he had a goal and assist as well as other shots on goal. Goals in league cup.

Just needs bloody games. 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Dilan was excellent yesterday.

I bet his timing of passing goes under the microscope at Brockhall this week though! 

Has not got the hang of when he should be moving the ball on to avoid being caught in possession. 

That said he was strong and bullying catching West Brom players dwelling.

So chuffed for him getting that goal which was really well taken.

Puts big pressure on Dolan Ennis and Sigurddson when all fit for their starting places but potentially could hold his own.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, philipl said:

I bet his timing of passing goes under the microscope at Brockhall this week though! 

Has not got the hang of when he should be moving the ball on to avoid being caught in possession. 

Puts big pressure on Dolan Ennis and Sigurddson when all fit for their starting places but potentially could hold his own.

I thought Markanday had a good game yesterday, he has improved no end in the last six months. Perhaps his loan to Aberdeen was worthwhile afterall ! 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, rigger said:

I thought Markanday had a good game yesterday, he has improved no end in the last six months. Perhaps his loan to Aberdeen was worthwhile afterall ! 

Until seeing that comment, I was genuinely wondering if he had stamped on your foot in the past or stolen you pie and you were holding a grudge 😉 

Markanday left the pitch at HT shaking his head and looking frustrated with himself. 

He scored a great goal but apart from a few nice touches he looked off the pace and lightweight. He lost the ball easily a couple of times in the first half when he tried to beat his man. He also got robbed of the ball for their goal. 

He will improve and he won't play as big/physical a team as yesterday that often.

• Like 7

Football is a strange beast especially when it comes to younger players, they simply have to have a chance and time.

He was bought to develop and that's what he is now doing after not previously having a sniff. Looked good in bits yesterday, took his goal really well but showed he also has a way to go.

Big season for him and i think he'll do ok.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KentExile said:

Until seeing that comment, I was genuinely wondering if he had stamped on your foot in the past or stolen you pie and you were holding a grudge 😉 

I just comment on the opinions I have formed, from what I have seen. I am not saying my opinions are correct.

Edited by rigger
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Markanday left the pitch at HT shaking his head and looking frustrated with himself. 

He scored a great goal but apart from a few nice touches he looked off the pace and lightweight. He lost the ball easily a couple of times in the first half when he tried to beat his man. He also got robbed of the ball for their goal. 

He will improve and he won't play as big/physical a team as yesterday that often.

Exactly how I saw it.. was really excited to see him based on the little I had seen of him previously in the Caraboa, but yes outside of the goal and few good runs, I thought he was one of if not our worst player...

8 hours ago, philipl said:

I thought he was ok yesterday, besides an excellent finish for his goal.

If we keep him (I'm sure they'll entertain offers) I think he has to play as a #10 behind Szmodics. I think that would hide his flaws (size / lack of pace) and accentuate his strengths (ball control / finishing).

• Like 2

Was an excellent finish on his weaker side. For the Wba goal, he was put in horrible trouble by Carter (should have gone up the line) and initially did well to retrieve it. 

I would start him vs Walsall, he needs minutes and game time.

3 hours ago, BRFC4EVA said:

Was an excellent finish on his weaker side. For the Wba goal, he was put in horrible trouble by Carter (should have gone up the line) and initially did well to retrieve it. 

I would start him vs Walsall, he needs minutes and game time.

Agreed.

He got himself out of trouble with great footwork after receiving Carter's hospital pass.

Then it all went wrong and was caught in possession when he attempted a dribble when he had options to pass or even Row Z on the halfway line.

His big learning from Saturday will be when the analysis boys show him how often his decision making was wrong. If he gets that sorted then I think the "too small, too lightweight" comments will fade away.

I'm happy for Markanday to have a place in the squad this season. I'm not totally writing him off just yet. It was great that he got a goal at the weekend and he does seem like a decent finisher. 

But if we're to be pinning our hopes on him being part of our first 11 for the season, he's going to struggle. We desperately need a new starting right winger with a big of quality.