BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Luton Town (h) - 1/5/23

I think what makes us such a tough watch is we are actually very competent at virtually everything except going forwards. We hold possession,  we defend well as a unit and more often than not stop the opposition doing what they want to do. The problem for us watching every week is that the lack of forward firepower leads our play to be incredibly frustrating and we don't get to watch the opponents make it a good game because we usually stop them playing.

Edited by cesus
  • Like 8

That was infuriating. I was disappointed when I saw the front three was unchanged, I was fuming at the start of the second half after Dolan, Hedges and Brereton all put in wretched performances and remained on the pitch.

Knew he wouldn’t make a sub until we went a goal down. Thomas made a positive difference but Dack was massively up against it with Luton parking the bus at that point. Both should have started, not bringing them on at half time was inexplicable. 

Pathetic performance from Travis. What was the point in bringing Brittain on? Leonard on far too late.

Is Hyam completely thick or is he playing to instructions with his insistence on passing it around at the back in the last seconds when we are desperate for goals? The same happened on Tuesday. Aside from this he’s dipped generally.

Again we try to walk it in for the vast majority of the game. JRC and Pickering having our best attempts in the first half sums up how toothless our forwards are.

Minor miracle now needed for the playoffs. It should’ve been so different. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Didn't Bowyer do so as well on one occasion? I seem to remember us beating someone at home in a high scoring game (it might have been Wigan or Ipswich) but we needed other results to go in our favour which of course they didn't.

Ah yes, looks like Bowyer has outdone JDT with a higher points tally, Tony will probably have managed a higher total too. Can only match last season total if we win at Millwall. What will the next narrative be? 🤔

Just now, cesus said:

I think what makes us such a tough watch is we are actually very competent at virtually everything accept going forwards. We hold possession,  we defend well as a unit and more often than not stop the opposition doing what they want to do. The problem for us watching every week is that the lack of forward firepower leads our play to be incredibly frustrating and we don't get to watch the opponents make it a good game because we usually stop them playing.

Yes, we're now a good team, nobody dominates us any more, we tend to be the ones who controls games.

We just can't score. 

I'm desperate to see JDT have another crack at it next season, with some quality additions up front.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I agree. We can beat Millwall and Preston and Swansea are capable of at least a draw at home in their final games.

Sure, they will both likely lose and we will concede a Millwall equaliser in the 90+4 to a debatable penalty / offside 🙈

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BigBar said:

We have also been fortunate that it's been one of the lowest points requirements in recent years to secure a playoff place. It's flattering on the outside that we are still involved in the mix.

2016 74 points

2017 80 points

2018 75 points

2019 74 points

2020 70 points

2021 77 points

2022  75 points 

69 points will be enough to secure a spot this season. Makes our collapse look far less drastic to the naked eye.

We had 8 Academy players in the squad again today - with the best will in the world you can't expect a promotion push with an Academy propping up the First XI like that. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

Games like today with fine margins you need a strong and competent referee. Unfortunately we once again saw a weak performance from the officials.

The only thing more annoying to me than a referee unwilling to clamp down on timewasting from the opposition is one who repeatedly signals as though he is aware of it and as though he is planning on adding time on for it, and then when it comes to the crunch he fails to add any time on for it. A triple whammy of not only failing to nip it in the bud during the game, not giving the required time on at the end but also paying lip service by pointing at his watch all afternoon for no reason.

Maybe one day we'll get the time we deserve when we are on top and chasing a winner at home. Too many times this season we just get the bog standard 4 minutes and weak officials letting the game drift away.

Can't blame the ref. He had a good game 

Just now, Penwortham Blue said:

Sure, they will both likely lose and we will concede a Millwall equaliser in the 90+4 to a debatable penalty / offside 🙈

Ryan Lowe gave his players stick post Sheffield so that may have some positive effect.

Swansea are a lose canon, depends which Russell turns out.

We just need to win and hope.

I'm obviously clutching at straws but there's a way if there's a will.

21 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

It should not have been enough to take the players eyes of the primary target, promotion.

That maybe should have been the case if this team were not so relatively young and inexperienced...you cant factor that out.

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194

Just now, Sweaty Gussets said:

I'm desperate to see JDT have another crack at it next season, with some quality additions up front.

Me too but I believe he has to work with the same squad plus some cheap additions, but crucially, minus any quality we can sell. I can't see him sticking around for that "project".

Next season we'll have Travis in midfield, Gallagher upfront and Dolan and Hedges being consistently inconsistent. I dread to think which out of work manager will sign up for that gig.

4 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

We had 8 Academy players in the squad again today - with the best will in the world you can't expect a promotion push with an Academy propping up the First XI like that. 

Well injuries dictated that today TK and Gally would have been in today. Also it was 7 not 8 unless I am mistaken?

7 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Orders from wanky Venky HQ.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, booth said:

Me too but I believe he has to work with the same squad plus some cheap additions, but crucially, minus any quality we can sell. I can't see him sticking around for that "project".

Next season we'll have Travis in midfield, Gallagher upfront and Dolan and Hedges being consistently inconsistent. I dread to think which out of work manager will sign up for that gig.

If we have Sam Gallagher, Dolan & Hedges starting next season then we will do well to stay up. All not good enough.

• Like 6

Just now, booth said:

I'm slightly more hopeful! I'd be surprised if at least 2 wingers haven't been lined up, because we can't rely on Hedges or Dolan (although they are useful squad players). Two strikers are also needed. JDT will know all that. 

My fear is JDT will walk because of what went on in January, and the subsequent falll-out. I think if he stays it's because he knows he's going to get the backing he needs.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, booth said:

Orders from wanky Venky HQ.

Are you privvy to inside info or is this just based off hearsay? Naively enough I think we will spend in the summer...there was funds there in January it appears.

Edited by BigBar

1 minute ago, BankEnd Rover said:

If we have Sam Gallagher, Dolan & Hedges starting next season then we will do well to stay up. All not good enough.

It'll be Gallagher and whoever Gregg can scrape from the bottom of the barrel, presumably on loan and assuming Gregg sticks around too.

• Like 1

Out of interest where have reports of substantial cutbacks next season come from? (Other than Nixon)

Genuine question as I haven't seen anything about it other than Nixons online offering going "could" "could" "could" "might" "could" etc etc

• Like 3

Just now, Sweaty Gussets said:

I'm slightly more hopeful! I'd be surprised if at least 2 wingers haven't been lined up, because we can't rely on Hedges or Dolan (although they are useful squad players). Two strikers are also needed. JDT will know all that. 

My fear is JDT will walk because of what went on in January, and the subsequent falll-out. I think if he stays it's because he knows he's going to get the backing he needs.

Where does this walk take him to ? He's under contract for another couple of years so will cost the new club a fair few quid.

6 minutes ago, booth said:

You can win with free agents and loans, if you get the right ones in. 

We need a new front 3. I'd love to sell Gallagher and I'd snap someone's hand off if they gave a decent offer for Dolan and Travis. 

• Like 1