BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship 23/24

7 hours ago, ben_the_beast said:

Chaos at QPR. Les Ferdinand has resigned as DoF following discussions with Ainsworth about transfer targets. Seems they had very different ideas on a way forwards. 

Fully expecting Qpr to raid Wycombe for Ainsworths ex players now and be odds om for relegation. I thought he'd be a disaster when people wanted him appointmented here and thought he'd be a disaster for Qpr. 

They were on a slow upwards trajectory for some time, until Michael Beale jumped ship last season. All feels like panicked reactions now.

interesting. I wonder if they will replace Les Ferdinand or give Ainsworth full control now? 

Just now, KentExile said:

Fingers crossed, would rather he is another Kidd than another Arteta

I was thinking the same, but if you've got the pull and the budget that Arsenal have, it's a bit different to being able to attract the Declan Rices of the world as opposed to the Nathan Blakes. Although he did sign Matt Jansen, so credit where it's reluctantly due. 🤗

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Darrenbot said:

Ferdinand has been there since 2015 and theyve never finished higher than 9th so probably time to get rid and try somebody new as DoF

They had been making steady progress. They were right in the playoff mix as we were in Mowbrays last season and were top of the league this season until Beales shenanigans. 

I'm sure Ferdinand would agree last season was a disaster. But regardless of his performance what is clear is that this has happened due to a falling out. Right at the start of the transfer window. Any plans they had have been thrown in the bin. It's messy. It's the worst possible time the club.

It's also worth noting Qpr have those seasons still been paying off the massive fine the Efl imposed on them for breaching financial fair play. The only club, to ever get that sort of punishment. 

11 hours ago, goozburger said:

I was thinking the same, but if you've got the pull and the budget that Arsenal have, it's a bit different to being able to attract the Declan Rices of the world as opposed to the Nathan Blakes. Although he did sign Matt Jansen, so credit where it's reluctantly due. 🤗

He signed Jansen but he didn’t know what to do with him. It was Souey that turned him from a talented individual into a superb team player.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ben_the_beast said:

They had been making steady progress. They were right in the playoff mix as we were in Mowbrays last season and were top of the league this season until Beales shenanigans. 

I'm sure Ferdinand would agree last season was a disaster. But regardless of his performance what is clear is that this has happened due to a falling out. Right at the start of the transfer window. Any plans they had have been thrown in the bin. It's messy. It's the worst possible time the club.

It's also worth noting Qpr have those seasons still been paying off the massive fine the Efl imposed on them for breaching financial fair play. The only club, to ever get that sort of punishment. 

Steady progress? 2021=9th  2022=11th   2023=20th

6 minutes ago, Darrenbot said:

Steady progress? 2021=9th  2022=11th   2023=20th

Read my post.

I said had been, until last seasons disaster triggered by Beales shenanigans, before which they were 1st. You then proceed to quote last seasons finish....

Either way, I'm certain they've shot themselves in the foot. I've got a good few mates who are close to the goings on at Qpr, and it's seen that they've sacked the only person there with any form of plan. 

Its a bit like the chasm we had when Mowbray left. There was nobody remaining. All they've got now is Ainsworth chasing old Wycombe players.

1 minute ago, ben_the_beast said:

Read my post.

I said had been, until last seasons disaster triggered by Beales shenanigans, before which they were 1st. You then proceed to quote last seasons finish....

Either way, I'm certain they've shot themselves in the foot. I've got a good few mates who are close to the goings on at Qpr, and it's seen that they've sacked the only person there with any form of plan. 

Its a bit like the chasm we had when Mowbray left. There was nobody remaining. All they've got now is Ainsworth chasing old Wycombe players.

take out last season,last time i did maths 11th after finishing 9th aint progress

30 minutes ago, goozburger said:

Michael Duff expected to become Swansea City manager once Russell Martin to Southampton is done.

I find that a strange appointment considering they want Swansea to be possession based side did the Swansea's owners. He not someone I would have appoint to replace Martin

I still can't believe that Martin to Southampton hasn't been confirmed yet

22 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Maybe realised that prioritising possession football over winning football is not wise.

Look like from reading a few articles about the current situation that they have brought in Luton CEO Paul Watson as the new head of football operations so its seems they will move away from that model. 

51 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I find that a strange appointment considering they want Swansea to be possession based side did the Swansea's owners. He not someone I would have appoint to replace Martin

I still can't believe that Martin to Southampton hasn't been confirmed yet

Russell Martin situation has been going on for a while. The compensation level changed dramatically once Southampton were officially relegated (last week?), which is what was understood to be the hurdle, but that has gone, now.

Perhaps somebody else or a change of heart has come into play while this has been rumbling on. If I was a Southampton supporter, I wouldn't be overly enamoured with the appointment of Martin.

Edited by goozburger

48 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Maybe realised that prioritising possession football over winning football is not wise.

This afternoon's Netherlands v Italy match was a classic case of "The Dutch Disease". If you're vastly superior to your opposition, then you can control the game and be incisive. If you aren't vastly superior, then you simply can't do it, and you need to be smarter than just thinking that possession will win you the game.

We saw it with Mowbray a few seasons ago. We had great possession stats yet finished 15th or something. The season thereafter, we binned that style off to better effect. There's a little lesson in there somewhere, along the lines of beating the opposition based on the mistakes they make. You're going to be your own victim if you're the one making mistakes when passing it side to side and back again without anything incisive up front.

1 hour ago, goozburger said:

This afternoon's Netherlands v Italy match was a classic case of "The Dutch Disease". If you're vastly superior to your opposition, then you can control the game and be incisive. If you aren't vastly superior, then you simply can't do it, and you need to be smarter than just thinking that possession will win you the game.

We saw it with Mowbray a few seasons ago. We had great possession stats yet finished 15th or something. The season thereafter, we binned that style off to better effect. There's a little lesson in there somewhere, along the lines of beating the opposition based on the mistakes they make. You're going to be your own victim if you're the one making mistakes when passing it side to side and back again without anything incisive up front.

The problem is you’re losing possession in really dangerous areas of the pitch.

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The problem is you’re losing possession in really dangerous areas of the pitch.

Netherlands didn't really do that, though. They just had few ideas once they approached the final third. Italy did what they historically do. Defend well, with a dash of shit-housing.

4 hours ago, goozburger said:

Russell Martin situation has been going on for a while. The compensation level changed dramatically once Southampton were officially relegated (last week?), which is what was understood to be the hurdle, but that has gone, now.

Perhaps somebody else or a change of heart has come into play while this has been rumbling on. If I was a Southampton supporter, I wouldn't be overly enamoured with the appointment of Martin.

I don't get why they haven't done it yet. 

Martin needs signings that fit his style of play and I expect a full overhaul of the playing squad there

5 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Darren Moore has left Sheffield Wednesday 

Reading between the lines, I'm not sure Sheffield Wednesday supporters thought a great deal of him.

He leaves by mutual consent, so there must have been things on both sides that they were unhappy about with each other.

3 minutes ago, philipl said:

Darren Moore and entire backroom.team out at Sheffield Wednesday 

I know I shouldn't be surprised at anything in football after 60+ years but that is stunning news. Just what do these owners want (I'm including the Bournemouth one too) when their appointed manager achieves their objective. Football really is like no other business and stupid decisions like today's confirm this.

• Like 3