BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship 23/24

1 minute ago, wilsdenrover said:

As with many things in life, success is more important than size.

I guess you still get the debate as to what defines success,  is it purely trophies won or does, for example, qualifying for Europe count?

You also get the discussion around whether success from ‘before your time’ counts or not eg. ‘ Sure your clubs won x FA cups but they were all before (insert world event here)’

Indeed, I suppose Rovers are a little unique in this regard, they fare quite well with honours won over "all time" or with one of the arbitrary cut off points (Premier League formed), but if someone's cut off metric is the war, then we become a middle of the road club at best.

I cant think that many other clubs (if any) would be similar in that regard?   But it is early and I need more coffee before I commit fully to that statement 😉 

10 minutes ago, KentExile said:

Indeed, I suppose Rovers are a little unique in this regard, they fare quite well with honours won over "all time" or with one of the arbitrary cut off points (Premier League formed), but if someone's cut off metric is the war, then we become a middle of the road club at best.

I cant think that many other clubs (if any) would be similar in that regard?   But it is early and I need more coffee before I commit fully to that statement 😉 

Huddersfield Town?

8 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

Huddersfield Town?

Maybe, but Rovers have won a few things since the Prem started, and even in terms of number of years spent in the top division, pretty sure we are a fair way ahead. 

I know PNE, Huddersfield were very successful pre WW1  But pretty sure its only Rovers who were one of the big boys then, and have recovered to win things since the Prem years.... still only half way through that coffee though so still non committal 😉 

Edit - could make an argument for Everton maybe?

Edited by KentExile
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, KentExile said:

Maybe, but Rovers have won a few things since the Prem started, and even in terms of number of years spent in the top division, pretty sure we are a fair way ahead. 

I know PNE, Huddersfield were very successful pre WW1  But pretty sure its only Rovers who were one of the big boys then, and have recovered to win things since the Prem years.... still only half way through that coffee though so still non committal 😉 

Edit - could make an argument for Everton maybe?

I see your logic about Huddersfield et al.

I’m sure we could make lots of arguments about Everton 😁

• Like 1

12 hours ago, KentExile said:

Talk of "big" clubs does get silly, everyone has their own definition, normally based upon whatever metric makes someone's own club bigger.  Trophies won (usually with an arbitrary cut off date point, but not if you are a Rover because most of ours were won in the early days of football), Crowd size (so that fans of clubs in big cities, with huge catchment areas or even Plymouth Argyle can claim they are huge because their crowds of 15000 or 16000 in league 1, conveniently ignoring that they are the only club for about a gazillion miles in any direction and don't have a host of Premier League clubs on their doorstep, or Current standing (for me, history has to count for something, Brentford, Brighton etc are good, well run clubs, but they are certainly not big clubs)

Well after I did a short survey with my exs non of them cared about history, they all said size mattered though 😔

Edited by Oldgregg86
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

I presume this will cause Cardiff ‘issues’ with FFP compliance?:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-66071830

Fingers crossed it does.  Nothing particular against Cardiff (although I do find this whole refusing to pay that fee to be quite distasteful), more so that it negatively impacts one of our rivals, so more chance of success this season

Edited by KentExile
  • Like 2

My prediction for the final league table of 23/24

Foxes

Rovers

Saints

Boro

Hornets

Peacocks

Potters

Throstles

Sky Blues

Black Cats

Tractor Boys

Lions

Swans

Canaries

Robins

Owls

Lilywhites

Tigers

Big Club

QPR

Terriers

Bluebirds

Pilgrims

Millers

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bazza said:

My prediction for the final league table of 23/24

Foxes

Rovers

Saints

Boro

Hornets

Peacocks

Potters

Throstles

Sky Blues

Black Cats

Tractor Boys

Lions

Swans

Canaries

Robins

Owls

Lilywhites

Tigers

Big Club

QPR

Terriers

Bluebirds

Pilgrims

Millers

aren't the Peacocks the whites ?

Just now, davulsukur said:

Leeds in talks with Farke. Could go either way bit I reckon he'll do alright there.

Me too. Might take him some time to settle in as it did at Norwich but he'll have them up there.

• Like 2

Massive rebuilding job for Farke at Leeds and if Webber is to join him at Leeds as Sporting Director it won't be until after Christmas. 

Massive squad overhaul needs at Leeds. 

On Munoz joining Sheffield Wednesday interesting appointment for them Did well at Watford. not good since. Beaten Dean Smith and Bilic to the job who both were interviewed for it