BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship 23/24

2 minutes ago, goozburger said:

Reading between the lines, I'm not sure Sheffield Wednesday supporters thought a great deal of him.

He leaves by mutual consent, so there must have been things on both sides that they were unhappy about with each other.

The old 'mutual consent' reason. In other words we'll pay you to keep your gob shut.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ossydave said:

If it genuinely is a mutual thing then you'd expect the racial abuse Moore suffered from a number of Wednesday fans after their 1st leg defeat played a part..  

Unbelievable.

I'd like to see them give that abuse straight to his face. Now that would be entertaining.

• Like 1

Consensus seems to be that Chansiri must have given him a paltry budget to rebuild their ageing squad coupled with unrealistic expectations so he's walked.

40 odd days out from the start of the season, no manager or coaching staff, no head of recruitment (left last week for Blackpool), and only 14 senior (league one level) pros.

They'll do well to stay up this year imo.

Never know though, the owner might have something up his sleeve. Recent history makes this doubtful, however.

"Venky's of the Sea"

25 minutes ago, RoversTilliDie said:

Already JDT and his backroom staff are weaving a bit of magic, 2 strikers and a midfielder on their way. We could do with a decent right back, our weak point near the end of last season, left backs standing in for right backs. And a decent winger.

Rankin Costello performed well at right back and Brittan is a right back.What left back did we have playing at right back?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, roverandout said:

Awful appointment for Southampton.  Did they not learn from jones 

I'm on the fence. 

I thought Kompany was a poor appointment, but it's all about recruitment at this level.

If they spend wisely, Martin will have them at the top of the league.

Edited by Exiled_Rover
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I'm on the fence. 

I thought Kompany was a poor appointment, but it's all about recruitment at this level.

I'd they spend wisely, Martin will have them at the top of the league.

Yeah - probably the sort of manager who looks the business when he has more resources than everyone else, but struggles to get the most out of a middling team.

I think recent history shows that trying to predict how relegated teams will go is a mugs game. Even badly assembled prem teams who get relegated with a whimper will have players who on paper should be a step above this level. You just never know whether the upheaval and bad feeling around a place might mean that they're not up for the challenge of the Championship, but you only really get a sense of that well into the season. 

21 hours ago, roverandout said:

Awful appointment for Southampton.  Did they not learn from jones 

Depends whether they bring in players he needs for his style of play plus their new director of football Jason Wilcox believes in this style of play probably why they gone for Martin

On 22/06/2023 at 21:05, roversfan99 said:

Bizarre how the style of play isnt decided by the manager.

That's why they have appointed Jason Wilcox and Russell Martin to their roles cos they believe and endorsed the style of play that Rasmus Ankersen wants them to play

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

That's not a counter-argument to my point that the manager should choose the style, not the director of football.

But they picked Russell Martin as head coach cos of style of play and his thinking matching up with DoF Jason Wilcox and co-owner on how they want the club to play

8 hours ago, Upside Down said:

Strange from Wilcox.

He of all people should know that the way to win is getting it down the channels and banging it in the box for Shearer. 

Getting it down the channels and banging it in the box is a way to win.... he has also just spent years watching Pep at Man City.  So I am sure that Wilcox is aware that there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Also I am fairly certain that as academy director at Man City Wilcox's remit would have been as far away  from 'get it quickly down the channels'  as you can possibly imagine!

It might be that Southampton have the biggest budget in the division and that 'Martinball' works wonders with the biggest budget and best players in the division

That being said, I think Martin is a hilariously bad appointment.  and a very dislikeable guy too, so I really hope he fails

Edited by KentExile